Josh thinks he can come off the bench in the NBA

Yeah, the NBA is as dead as ever. I love they're trying to get a little of this side piece hustle called the nfl. Maybe if they actually enforced rules, had discipline and integrity in their league, and stop pandering to the showboat antics that have taken over their league people would care.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

Yeah, the NBA is as dead as ever. I love they're trying to get a little of this side piece hustle called the nfl. Maybe if they actually enforced rules, had discipline and integrity in their league, and stop pandering to the showboat antics that have taken over their league people would care.

The talent in the NBA right now is fantastic. The officiating is unbearable. It has killed my fandom.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

The talent in the NBA right now is fantastic. The officiating is unbearable. It has killed my fandom.

The lack of effort and load management lost me a couple decades ago. I switch stations when they talk anything NBA. 

My fandom has dwindled since the Braves left. We are down to zero. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

Definitely not at its peak, but not as dead as ever.      No one touches the NFL, but the NBA does very well in comparison with both the NHL and MLB.  The average viewing for a NBA Finals game is right around the average viewing of a world series game, and nearly three times the viewers of an NHL Finals game.  An NHL finals game is closer in viewership to the UFC as it is other big-time sports leagues. 

While it's not incredibly popular in Buffalo, the NBA is doing just fine.  For those of us who actually like the game its a great time to be a fan, the league has a ton of young talent.  The playoff series this year have been very competitive and a hell of a lot of fun to watch.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Josh would be close to average in NBA height, he’s 6’5” while the average is 6’6”, but those guys are much quicker and explosive than him. He’d have to play the 2 or 3 and I don’t see how he’d realistically guard either position, or get a shot off while being guarded by those positions. He’d need much more stamina to run and chase guys at the 2 and probably more height and athleticism to contend with the 3. Point being, I don’t think Josh is good enough to give 6-7 mins as a bench player in the league. He miiiight be good enough for D1 college basketball at a mid American conference, but that’s about it.
He should do the Brian Scalabrine challenge. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

Shortly after Micheal retired maybe a couple years after the NBA was on a down hill trajectory, the ticky tack fouls, players acting like they were hit real hard and falling to draw a foul (which some in the NFL do too) then some of the bigger NBA stars that don't know enough to stay in their own lane and think their personal political views are more important than just playing the game .

I long for the day of Ewing, Micheal, Stockton & Malone, Magic, and so on now that was Basketball at it's best ! There are players today that wear players from other generations numbers and some think they are as good or better than those that came before them and that's a joke .

Maybe their stats might say in some ways that they are a good player but stats in todays game are easier to come by given the refereeing the physicality is gone i'd love to see Lebron go up against Malone or Pippen he'd be crying on the bench by the end of 1 game playing against them ... It's just not the same . 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I have to chuckle at Austin Rivers cause I think Josh’s odds of coming off the bench in the nba are better then someone from the nba throwing 60 yard ropes as bills qb 

NBA players aren’t playing QB though, unless they excelled at it in college (Charlie Ward for example). If an NBA player makes the transition to NFL, it’s to play WR or TE. I don’t see their ball skills, body control, and speed (or lack thereof), transitioning to too many other positions but those two. Keon’s collegiate coach Tom Izzo told him he’d have more of a future pursuing football than basketball because at his size he’d have to run a team as PG and didn’t have those skills. His shot wasn’t good enough to be a 2 guard. 

21 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

The talent is over celebrated mediocracy. Go back and look at the 90s when the players actually had to play ball and be tough. Yes they didn't shoot as pretty, and you're right they're offense wasn't superb back then. But, they played defense and they weren't a bunch of b******

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

It's waaay too easy for the officials to control NBA games in favor of Vegas.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jalen Suggs of my Orlando Magic, a former All-State QB in high school, is the same size as Josh Allen...6-5 240 lbs...and he looks so tiny on the court in the NBA.

As big as Josh looks on the football field, it is amazing how small he would look on an NBA court!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

NBA players aren’t playing QB though, unless they excelled at it in college (Charlie Ward for example). If an NBA player makes the transition to NFL, it’s to play WR or TE. I don’t see their ball skills, body control, and speed (or lack thereof), transitioning to too many other positions but those two. Keon’s collegiate coach Tom Izzo told him he’d have more of a future pursuing football than basketball because at his size he’d have to run a team as PG and didn’t have those skills. His shot wasn’t good enough to be a 2 guard. 

The reason NBA players can play in the NFL is because there are enough players with the size and ability that fits some position profiles in the NFL.

The converse is not true. The OL guys are too short. The tall guys aren’t athletic enough. There are probably some exceptions but this is mostly true 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

Jalen Suggs of my Orlando Magic, a former All-State QB in high school, is the same size as Josh Allen...6-5 240 lbs...and he looks so tiny on the court in the NBA.

As big as Josh looks on the football field, it is amazing how small he would look on an NBA court!!

And as Josh qualifies as a freak athlete on the football field, imagine giving someone like an Anthony Edwards (who’s around Josh’s height) a howizter for an arm? He’d be a Mike Vick type player in a 6’4” body 🤯 Whether he’s any good is another argument. Still has to read defenses, throw with anticipation, accuracy, etc.

NBA players are freak athletes when it comes to explosion and height. NFL players are freak athletes in terms of explosion and speed, but they’re far shorter. 

NBA guys who say they could play significantly in the NFL are all delusional.  These guys in today's NBA, to a man, cannot tolerate the slightest contact.  

they would all retire at halftime, week 1 after one big hit over the middle.

33 minutes ago, boyst said:

The talent is over celebrated mediocracy. Go back and look at the 90s when the players actually had to play ball and be tough. Yes they didn't shoot as pretty, and you're right they're offense wasn't superb back then. But, they played defense and they weren't a bunch of b******

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

Keon Coleman would probably have as good a chance to play in the NBA as anyone in the NFL...he saw significant playing time as a freshman for Michigan State's basketball team...not saying he could make an NBA roster, but he certainly wouldn't embarrass himself out there.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

NBA guys who say they could play significantly in the NFL are all delusional.  These guys in today's NBA, to a man, cannot tolerate the slightest contact.  

they would all retire at halftime, week 1 after one big hit over the middle.

I keep hearing the same argument, but how many big hits happen in the NFL nowadays? There are no more crack back blocks, you have to give receivers space to land (defenseless), there are no helmet to helmet shots - all the “ooooh” hits of the 80s and 90s. Most “jacked up!” moments now are offensive players delivering hits to defensive players (cue Brandt’s “angry runs”).

It’s adaptation. Lebron James, all 6’8” 260lbs of him, acts like the biggest crybaby on the basketball court because he knows the flailings gets him foul calls. Do I think he’s physical or strong enough for today’s NFL if he didn’t have those dramatic antics to lean on? Absolutely. 

51 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Definitely not at its peak, but not as dead as ever.      No one touches the NFL, but the NBA does very well in comparison with both the NHL and MLB.  The average viewing for a NBA Finals game is right around the average viewing of a world series game, and nearly three times the viewers of an NHL Finals game.  An NHL finals game is closer in viewership to the UFC as it is other big-time sports leagues. 

While it's not incredibly popular in Buffalo, the NBA is doing just fine.  For those of us who actually like the game its a great time to be a fan, the league has a ton of young talent.  The playoff series this year have been very competitive and a hell of a lot of fun to watch.   

As a business, the NBA is super-healthy.  Franchise values are through the roof and the league is about to sign a new TV contract that will basically double their broadcast revenues.  The problems with college basketball are certainly having a trickle-down effect on the NBA--similar to CFB and the NFL--but the NBA has something the NFL will never have:  a massive influx of talent from around the world.  Look at the top players in the league right now...a ton of them are from abroad...Jokic, Doncic, Giannis, Wembanyama....While it would be nice to have more home-grown stars, this just serves to make the league more popular overseas...