O’Cyrus Torrence praise

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Torrence was the guy I wanted before last draft. I was delighted he fell to us in the second round. 

For a rookie, he looked really good. And I think having a solid RG helped Spencer Brown as the season went on and communication between the two got better. They were beaten on stunts a fair amount, especially early on in the season. 

I think more reps with Brown will make them pretty solid for this year. 

Agree about O'Cyrus and that having him solidify RG did help Brown a lot

I'm a bit concerned about Brown after learning that he had shoulder surgery in the off-season.  I just hope the rehab won't interfere with him conditioning and strength training for the season.

Also concerned about the David Edwards/Conner McGovern plan at LG and C, but the Bills DO have a couple potential alternatives at C on the roster

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They get paid more than centers now.. it's tougher to play guard in the modern NFL than center 

They physically take on more one-on-one blocks... Center gets more combination blocks and there are very few physically imposing zero techs who play that technique every snap 

Guards take on dominant three techniques one-on-one

Agreed

So it's understood that once a team is paying its QB the "Big Bucks", they only have cap space to pay 5-6 top players.  My understanding was that it was usually QB, WR, LT, DE or LB (depending on defense), CB, DT.  Sometimes a C has shown up there, sometimes RT instead of LT.

So I was pretty surprised to poke around and learn that a couple of the top teams that are paying a QB (Dallas, KC, Rams ) are paying top cap % to a G.  The Rams are paying 2 G 

Maybe.

but thus line saw Allen with top 5 in hurries, knockdowns and shortest pocket times.  

Josh makes this O line seem better than it is because he gets away from it as fast as few other QBs could.  They give him very little time to stand back there.  Less mobile QBs like Stafford or Goff or Prescott or Tua or Burrow would get destroyed behind that line.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Torrence was great most of the year. I thought he started to struggle in pass blocking as the season wore on.  Don't know if that was the rookie wall or if teams started to scheme against him better.

I would not be shocked if he is second team All-Pro 

Teams noticed he struggled against speed and started moving ends inside on obvious pass downs and speed rushing Cyrus's inside shoulder. Hopefully Kromer works on his counter to that this offseason.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Agree about O'Cyrus and that having him solidify RG did help Brown a lot

I'm a bit concerned about Brown after learning that he had shoulder surgery in the off-season.  I just hope the rehab won't interfere with him conditioning and strength training for the season.

Also concerned about the David Edwards/Conner McGovern plan at LG and C, but the Bills DO have a couple potential alternatives at C on the roster

I share your concern with Brown. First Id heard that he had surgery was yesterday and I immediately thought of how he looked when he didn't have an off-season program a couple years before. Hopefully it's just precautions that kept him from participating. Anyone know if he was swinging a bat at the Micah Hyde softball game?

What I'm most concerned about with Brown is that if he can't go or he doesn't play well because of the altered off season is his backups to me are a big bag of bleh. 

Beane made a point around the draft when discussing Collins that they see him at RT depth and then maybe some guard. And I really like Ryan Van Demark...on the left side. He didn't look great in preseason when they had him at RT. Now maybe a year past that he's improved there and is serviceable but we won't know til we know.

As you said at C at least there are some options if McGovern struggles. I think Beane grabbing one of if not the best pure C in the draft is a signal that they aren't really sold on one of either McGovern at C or Edwards at LG. I think over the long term Edwards is a placeholder on the OL and we eventually see McGovern shifted back to LG and the rook at C. But if that happens this year or next...who knows. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I very rarely... Will make a thread dedicated to a guard 

But after drafting this mountain of a man last season... And him playing every single snap last season 

Read that again... Every single snap last season... The only Buffalo Bill to do so 

I had to go back and rewatch... O'Cyrus

Now it's typical for any rookie lineman have ups and downs... They ebb and flow 

But the size and power with the short area burst he displayed was excellent... People talk about some right guards playing in a phone booth... Because the condensed area and need for quickness 

But he is the phone booth... A true old school Right guard... Who is thick enough to anchor yet has hands that counter hard

He looks every bit like a multiple Time pro bowler who will be able to move the LoS in a game of inches

The bills nailed their top two picks last season but in a league with a shortage of great lineman 

This pic hits as an A++

I'm also interested in his team mate Richard Gouraige (if he is still on the team If not my bad)  Beane has a way with finding good linemen, in the past if they are put on the PS they don't last long other teams come and get them like they have in past years . 

• Like (+1) 2

Torrence had a very good rookie season. I think he'll be a good guard for a lot of years here.

The weirdest thing to me is that after a few seasons of searching for the right o-line combination and of the guards being a liability, the Bills finally stumbled on a great lineup last year. Their guards were finally, at the very least, NOT a liability.

They followed up this season of above average line play by....releasing their veteran center, shifting their left guard to center, and moving a backup to the starting lineup. (Yes, I realize training camp battles may change this, but that's what it's penciled in as at the moment).

So...it's just weird to me. Morse's contract was not THAT cost prohibitive. The deal he signed with the Jags was certainly doable for the Bills. And fixing what ain't broke by moving McGovern to center, which he hasn't played since college...it's just weird.

My biggest hope of the offseason is that Sedrick Van Pran takes the reigns at center and never looks back. That would allow the least upheaval/turnover on our line, with only one position seeing a new starter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

But after drafting this mountain of a man last season... And him playing every single snap last season 

Read that again... Every single snap last season... The only Buffalo Bill to do so 

But the size and power with the short area burst he displayed was excellent... People talk about some right guards playing in a phone booth... Because the condensed area and need for quickness 

But he is the phone booth... A true old school Right guard... Who is thick enough to anchor yet has hands that counter hard

He looks every bit like a multiple Time pro bowler who will be able to move the LoS in a game of inches

The bills nailed their top two picks last season but in a league with a shortage of great lineman 

This pic hits as an A++

I was shocked he fell all the way to us at #59 in the 2nd round.  Many mocks had him going to us the 1st.  One of the biggest strokes of luck and one of the biggest steals the Bills have had.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

Torrence had a very good rookie season. I think he'll be a good guard for a lot of years here.

The weirdest thing to me is that after a few seasons of searching for the right o-line combination and of the guards being a liability, the Bills finally stumbled on a great lineup last year. Their guards were finally, at the very least, NOT a liability.

They followed up this season of above average line play by....releasing their veteran center, shifting their left guard to center, and moving a backup to the starting lineup. (Yes, I realize training camp battles may change this, but that's what it's penciled in as at the moment).

So...it's just weird to me. Morse's contract was not THAT cost prohibitive. The deal he signed with the Jags was certainly doable for the Bills. And fixing what ain't broke by moving McGovern to center, which he hasn't played since college...it's just weird.

My biggest hope of the offseason is that Sedrick Van Pran takes the reigns at center and never looks back. That would allow the least upheaval/turnover on our line, with only one position seeing a new starter.

I still like the situation better than at the end of 2022.  At that time, we needed 2 IOL, there were serious and legit questions regarding Spencer Brown, and Dawkins showed up at OTA's weighing 370 lbs.  

Dawkins goes on a crash diet;

OT falls in their lap in the 2nd;

McGovern turns out better than hoped (at least for me)

Brown proves healthier and better than he was in 2022.

This year, you are talking about 1 position that is a question mark.  If McGovern doesn't work at center, you can always move him back to LG.  The hope that VPG, a 3 year starter and former All American center can be at least servicable, isn't a stretch.  Or that Collins can regain form and fit in a LG.  You can generally hide one deficiency in the OL, but trying to hide 3 is a push. 

Its a situation where a coach like Kromer can figure it out. 

13 minutes ago, boater said:

A thread of optimism and positivity. What a pleasant change of pace.

Well, the WR corps on the other hand..

sorry, couldn't resist.

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

This pic hits as an A++

But Beane can't pick in the 2nd round and isn't a good drafter.  And its always a mistake to not take a WR in round 2.  Ive read that all offseason here...so your post must be wrong.  🤪