Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

14 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I remember suggesting him as an option two months ago and getting some vomit reactions … thought you were one of them but must have been wrong ..

In fairness, much has changed with respect to the WR room post draft. I probably would have puked at the idea of MVS at that time too, but seeing how the draft has transpired I’m more accepting of the idea now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Depth of target matters IMO. He’s always near the top. He basically averages 17-18 yards depth of target. Gabe Davis is also usually pretty high. This guy is a pure deep threat. That’s all.

Catching the damn ball is all that matters. Who cares how far downfield he gets if he's only going to drop it.    

Hard pass

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Catching the damn ball is all that matters. Who cares how far downfield he gets if he's only going to drop it.    

Hard pass

You can’t figure that out? The ball is harder to complete the deeper the depth of target. Curtis Samuel caught 68%, but his average target depth is 6 yards. 

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Come to think of it maybe this entire offseason is just Beane trolling the jersey makers.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

Re'Mahn Walter Zhamar Jamar Davis

Waldo Faldo Geraldo 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, appoo said:

I think a better word for this is versatility

I still think my point is valid but yours is too.  It is a very diverse WR room with a lot of different skillsets for Brady to use:  big guys, quick guys, man-beaters, zone-beaters, speedsters, possession receivers...  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Nothing in Shakir's history shows that he can be a consistent and capable deep threat. Could he become one? Sure, but he's never been one in college or so far in the pros. There's more to downfield ability than a 40 time.

Shakir's career yards per reception and aDOT at Boise State were not consistent with someone who is a reliable deep threat. Nothing he's shown in his time so far with the Bills indicates that much has changed in that regard.

As for Samuel, again, he simply has not shown to be a reliable deep threat in his career. Can he do it now and again? Sure, but that's not his bread and butter. Again, there's more to consistent downfield ability than just a 40 time.

Coleman is a rookie, so again he goes in the "MAYBE he can do it" pile, along with Hamler and Shakir. But in terms of guys who have PROVEN they can be consistent downfield threats at the NFL level? The Bills don't have any on the roster.

I honestly get a lot of 2022/2023 Packer vibes with this group, through that group needed some time to develop into what it is today

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Did I? There was a thread last week with a poll about which available vet WR would be the best signing and MVS was my choice in that poll.

Then again I'm sure two months ago I felt very different. When you've struck out at the bar for four hours everybody sudddenly looks hotter.

Perhaps my memory is a little faulty ..I can’t find the post to confirm one way or the other ..

I hope they don’t dont sign him now as it will confirm they aren’t trading for anyone better … I want to hold onto that fantasy a bit longer ..

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Logic said:

He's better than Quintez Cephus, KJ Hamler, Mack Hollins, and probably Chase Claypool. His career production relative to theirs makes this indisputable. 

He also provides a downfield threat that the Bills currently lack. Given what it will likely cost to sign him, I'd be fine with this. It would materially improve and diversify the Bills' WR corps. Not as much as we'd all like, of course, but the salary cap is the salary cap.

I wouldn’t say he’s “better” than Cephus or Hamler. Cephus has more dependable hands but is not a vertical threat. Hamler is a big time vertical threat but is never healthy. At least MVS has had moments as a proven vertical threat. I’d be fine with him for a 1 year cheap prove it deal to compete with all the other never fighting for spots 4-6 on the WR depth chart 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'd be okay with this. We don't have a field stretching WR on the roster. He gives us a baseline for that role, albeit a low baseline.

There it is. 

As I was saying in the 'Pick Your Poison" thread - we don't have the moves left to pull off something major.

So it was going to be a FA acquisition or a smaller Trade along these lines or nothing. 

Right now, with Coleman not expected to be shoved right into a starting role, Shakir as a Pure Slot, and Samuel as a mainly interior and out of the Backfield guy - we're looking at our starting options on the Outside being Hollins, Shorter, and Claypool. 

Say what you want about MVS, he's a better option than any of the above.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

It’s easy to clown this, but I’d be very high on this signing.  

Big body, contested catch WR in Keon Coleman.  Two quick separation guys in Shakir and Samuel.  A speed/field stretcher in MVS.  Big body blocking WR in Mack Hollins.  Then open competition for WR6.  

That WR room at least makes sense, regardless of how one feels about the proven talent. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s easy to clown this, but I’d be very high on this signing.  

Big body, contested catch WR in Keon Coleman.  Two quick separation guys in Shakir and Samuel.  A speed/field stretcher in MVS.  Big body blocking WR in Mack Hollins.  Then open competition for WR6.  

That WR room at least makes sense, regardless of how one feels about the proven talent. 

Logically makes sense to me brother but MVS and Hollins aren’t locks to make the team. Honestly think outside of the top 3 no one is safe for the other spots. I’m really pulling for Hamler. He’s got the most potential if he stays healthy.