NFL Ref John Parry joins NFL team (Update: It’s the Bills!)

Posted (edited)

This is an interesting idea by whichever NFL team hired him. John Parry will now be part of the teams crew that tells the Head Coach when to review a play and when not to. I love when teams do innovative things like this.

“Officials look at the game so differently than players, coaches, and fans,” Parry said. “So to have somebody up [in the booth]: Hey, this is the mechanic, this is why that person made that call. And no matter what happens to this replay, if they flip it, here’s where the ball will be spotted. Here’s the down in distance. The clock’s gonna start in the ready for play, or it’s a 10-second runoff, so you could take a timeout. So you better start thinking about that, will you take one? Will you not?”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/rules-analyst-john-parry-leaves-espn-takes-job-with-an-unnamed-team

To be honest, I believe a hire like this could really help someone like McDermott, who in the past has taken a timeout right before challenging a play (which makes absolutely no sense at all).

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 9

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is an interesting idea by whichever NFL team hired him. John Parry will now be part of the teams crew that tells the Head Coach when to review a play and when not to. I love when teams do innovative things like this.

“Officials look at the game so differently than players, coaches, and fans,” Parry said. “So to have somebody up [in the booth]: Hey, this is the mechanic, this is why that person made that call. And no matter what happens to this replay, if they flip it, here’s where the ball will be spotted. Here’s the down in distance. The clock’s gonna start in the ready for play, or it’s a 10-second runoff, so you could take a timeout. So you better start thinking about that, will you take one? Will you not?”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/rules-analyst-john-parry-leaves-espn-takes-job-with-an-unnamed-team

To be honest, I believe a hire like this could really help someone like McDermott, who in the past has taken a timeout right before challenging a play (which makes absolutely no sense at all).

The reason coaches take timeouts before challenges is because they can't get a decision from their replay spotter fast enough. By the time Parry has set out all of those possibilities the team are at the line trying to run another play. I think it would likely add more delay to that process rather than clear things up. I think refs as part of your game management staff in and of itself is not a bad idea.... but I wouldn't be in favour of them having a role on gameday. They are deliberators by trade on these close calls not guys who make quick clear decisions to advise on throwing flags. 

• Disagree 6
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Hated this guy on ESPN.  Terrible analysis just protected the refs in the worst ways. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The reason coaches take timeouts before challenges is because they can't get a decision from their replay spotter fast enough. By the time Parry has set out all of those possibilities the team are at the line trying to run another play. I think it would likely add more delay to that process rather than clear things up. I think refs as part of your game management staff in and of itself is not a bad idea.... but I wouldn't be in favour of them having a role on gameday. They are deliberators by trade on these close calls not guys who make quick clear decisions to advise on throwing flags. 

Only the worst teams did this.  I feel like this has to be the Jets?

• Haha (+1) 1

Frankly, as evidenced by the games, every ref sees every play differently-as does everybody.

Imo, that’s why this has never been pursued. WTH are the teams going to do when ‘their’ ref says ‘Do this’ and a ref on the field throws a flag for it?

Fire hizazz??

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The reason coaches take timeouts before challenges is because they can't get a decision from their replay spotter fast enough.

Thats just a terrible reason to take a timeout.

The challenge is a timeout if you lose. Just challenge it.

The only risk is running out of challenges - but go ahead and take a guess at how many times McDermott has had 2 challenges in one game in his entire 7 year Bills career.

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

It is the Bills.  Pretty forward looking by our management.

Thats awesome! The team who hired him hadn’t been released when I posted this thread. Absolutely love this decision by the Bills.

Great decision by McDermott and company. They saw that we were deficient in something and went out to find ways to improve it. Kudos to McD and all involved in this decision. Nothing wrong with getting help in areas that you need it.

• Agree 3

• Einstein changed the title to NFL Ref John Parry joins NFL team (Update: It’s the Bills!)
1 hour ago, Logic said:

I believe the Bills are the first team to hire a former NFL official in this capacity. 

Interesting. Maybe it'll start a trend.

Maybe Parry can get us a few calls from his buddies......At least until we play KC.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Good.  He doesn’t count on the cap….why would anyone not like an additional perspective?

Some people just like to be up on the cross, bitchin and a'moanin', no matter what.

96406a15777be79250f7bcc66b0e629c.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1