NFL Ref John Parry joins NFL team (Update: It’s the Bills!)

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The refs can't hear the play by play people talking 

They can't sway their opinion

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who would be waiting for the announcers?

I mean we've all seen it happen-- usually within the last two minutes of a game/half when the head coach can't "officially" challenge a call. 

I'm being facetious when I say it's "because" of the announcer's making a big deal about it-- but the NFL is certainly tuned into these broadcasts behind the scenes and if the TV crew is pointing out a bad call, it stands to reason they'd be more inclined to intervene, no? 

Or do the referees just get together on the field during two-minute breaks and muse amongst themselves whether they should be challenging their own calls? 

• Like (+1) 1

I wish there was a bigger time gap between "an nfl team hired" and " the bills hired" or speculation its was the Jets or Fins. It would have been funny to read on this board how it is stupid to decision only to then learn it was the bills.

I LOVE this.  Here's why:

1. Having a formal official around will help the players with rules and understanding them.

2.  This will help the coaches understand why calls were made to help prep the team better.

3. Parry comes with knowledge of other ref tendencies.  Who likes to call what and who lets things slide.

4.  Parry getting a cushy gig with the Bills will hopefully get officialls to go easier on the Bills knowing one of their own is being taken care of (yes pure unadulterated speculation but the world is not what you know but who you know).

I see zero negative to this hire and only positives.  What a forward thinking move by the Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott gets credit for agreeing with you?

I just mean I disagree with McDermott a lot, so its only fair to point out times when he does things that I believe are wise as well. This is one of them.

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not against the idea of hiring him. I am sceptical about the idea you use him in game. I just don't think he will get to a decision quickly enough. That isn't the strength of the refs.

I don't blame you for being skeptical. This is the first time any team has ever done this - We are trend setting and therefore entering unchartered territories. None of us know for sure how it will work out but I'm hopeful!

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The reason coaches take timeouts before challenges is because they can't get a decision from their replay spotter fast enough. By the time Parry has set out all of those possibilities the team are at the line trying to run another play. I think it would likely add more delay to that process rather than clear things up. I think refs as part of your game management staff in and of itself is not a bad idea.... but I wouldn't be in favour of them having a role on gameday. They are deliberators by trade on these close calls not guys who make quick clear decisions to advise on throwing flags. 

I agree.  Deciding whether to review a play is almost always overwhelmingly obvious to anyone watching the network broadcast.  It doesn't take a ref to spot a bad call....

17 minutes ago, section122 said:

I LOVE this.  Here's why:

1. Having a formal official around will help the players with rules and understanding them.

2.  This will help the coaches understand why calls were made to help prep the team better.

3. Parry comes with knowledge of other ref tendencies.  Who likes to call what and who lets things slide.

4.  Parry getting a cushy gig with the Bills will hopefully get officialls to go easier on the Bills knowing one of their own is being taken care of (yes pure unadulterated speculation but the world is not what you know but who you know).

I see zero negative to this hire and only positives.  What a forward thinking move by the Bills!

I do really like this idea…

however on the flip side about zero negativity, if he ever screws up and we have to fire him. That will become a really long season due to potential retribution from the other refs…

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not against the idea of hiring him. I am sceptical about the idea you use him in game. I just don't think he will get to a decision quickly enough. That isn't the strength of the refs.

GB, I agree with you something like 99.9% of the time.  But this one is an exception.  NFL refs are trained and selected because of their ability to make good calls instantaneously.  

I personally love this move.  I wonder if he'll also help out at camp.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Maybe Parry can get us a few calls from his buddies......At least until we play KC.

I doubt it, but... 

One of my wife's relatives owns a construction company in a country I won't malign by naming.  The relative had a lot of trouble with delayed and/or failed building inspections for a while.  Then she started hiring the building inspectors as

'engineers' theoretically to pre-inspect work.  The conflict-of-interest laws there forbid the inspectors who work for her as a second job to inspect any of her projects.  But their friends do the inspections.  So now the inspections get prompt passing scores.   She explains that the inspectors don't want to get their friends in trouble, or potentially cost them a job, by failing them.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Now all we have to do is bring in Belichick to show us how to cheat and we will have it made in the shade.

I'm surprised that Belicheck/Pats* had not done this years ago.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Maybe the Bills will get less flags because of this? Refs may not throw the flag knowing one of their own is there explaining the rules to the players???

Bro. The league and the refs hate us.  Its not going to change anything. 

Edited by Trev
  • Haha (+1) 1

After that Eagles game I guess we needed to hire a Ref to ask WTF is going on.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The reason coaches take timeouts before challenges is because they can't get a decision from their replay spotter fast enough. By the time Parry has set out all of those possibilities the team are at the line trying to run another play. I think it would likely add more delay to that process rather than clear things up. I think refs as part of your game management staff in and of itself is not a bad idea.... but I wouldn't be in favour of them having a role on gameday. They are deliberators by trade on these close calls not guys who make quick clear decisions to advise on throwing flags. 

To be fair when he's doing that he's doing it for a T.V. audience and filling open air time.

This is an absolute boon of a hire, I love it.  It's about a lot more than just replay, though that's a huge part of it.

Parry knows the officiating crews inside and out, and knows their tendencies.  He will be able to advise the coaching staff on whether a particular official has a penchant for throwing flags for subjective penalties like holding or defensive pass interference, or if they tend to let them play.  That will feed into game planning.  Keep in mind that the crews will often change from week to week so it is not just a matter of whether, say, Shawn Hochuli's crew throws a lot of illegal contact flags.  It's whether the officials on the field with him this week do.

He will be able to provide insights during practices and is well connected.  He will know what 345 Park is sending out to officials each week as points of emphasis and how it will be interpreted.

Parry was never great on TV but he was a top official in the league that was awarded multiple Super Bowls as an official.  He should do really well in this role.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1