Bills Rookie Minicamp

3 hours ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Don't think his Wonderlic score was off the chart but good looking kid who seems grounded and fun to be around.  Hope he can play!

dudes a goofball, doesnt mean hes dumb.  we have/had several goofie characters have AMAZING careers here.  he doesnt strike me as a dumb person, but even if he did, ppl who arent smart enough to study film/the game, dont have amazing careers.

josh is goofy. tre white. dawkins is def a silly sally.

incognito was dumb by society standards, stuck in nfl a long time, solid career. marshawn is a buffoon, he may have skated on pure ability and God crafted genetics, but i doubt it

either way, if dude can help bring a ring here thatd be dopeeee

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Keon runs so vertically and is rigid with his arms. This is stuff that the Bills can work on him with. Along with his natural talents he will be just fine. 

The taller the sprinter the more upright they will tend to appear. ... I think he has Jerry Rice speed. "first two steps. Not so much" ...... But when he gets past those first few, he's the fastest on the field. His ability to control his coordination at the highest speeds is his gift.  ....... I would like to

see, not his 40 time but 10yrds to 40. That's where it all goes on and the big boys run up your back and take advantage of their length. .. 

Edited by Kornfed
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, <bills4life> said:

Here are the last nine receivers drafted in the first round who haven’t reached 600 yards in a season:

John Ross (9th overall pick in 2017)

N’Keal Harry (32nd overall pick in 2019)

Henry Ruggs (12th overall pick in 2020)

Jalen Reagor (21st overall pick in 2020)

Kadarius Toney (20th overall pick in 2021)

Rashod Bateman (27th overall pick in 2021)

Jameson Williams (12th overall pick in 2022)

Jahan Dotson (16th overall pick in 2022)

Treylon Burks (18th overall pick in 2022)

After crunching the numbers, all the wide receivers listed above fall into one of two groups. Except for John Ross.

Way too early to make a proclamation one way or the other.  Scouts get it wrong every bit as much as the best draftniks.

Bateman just got a two year extension, that goes into effect after his upcoming 4th season with Baltimore (instead of a pricey, fully guaranteed 5th year option...seems smart AF even if the player hasn't fully stepped up yet). 

Williams in DET and Dotson in WAS both seem like guys who will be counted on this season to take another step forward. They are VERY likely to leave this list as long as they stay healthy. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Don't think his Wonderlic score was off the chart but good looking kid who seems grounded and fun to be around.  Hope he can play!

Difficult to tell for certain what you're driving at here, but I'd argue that Coleman easily comes off as a LOT savvier than most 20 year-old WR prospects. There are a number of icky biases inherent in your assumption about Keon Coleman's aptitude. The Wonderlic is being phased out already and with good reason.   

• Agree 1

I just took a Wonderlic test with no prep and beaucoup mitigating factors and still scored a 41. It's a bogus, ethnocentric standardized test. If you score well you're probably smart, but if you don't score well, that does NOT mean you're not smart. It's more about cultural fluency. It's actually REALLY flawed and problematic, and not at all relevant to football.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I just took a Wonderlic test with no prep and beaucoup mitigating factors and still scored a 41. It's a bogus, ethnocentric standardized test. If you score well you're probably smart, but if you don't score well, that does NOT mean you're not smart. It's more about cultural fluency. It's actually REALLY flawed and problematic, and not at all relevant to football.

Humble brag.  Lol.  They stopped giving the Wonderlic at the combine after 2021.  I'm not sure if teams can give it to a prospect on a pre draft visit though.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Humble brag.  Lol.  They stopped giving the Wonderlic at the combine after 2021.  I'm not sure if teams can give it to a prospect on a pre draft visit though.

Good news. That test is total bulls#!t

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

And there is not only culturally based intelligence but, as I think you are suggesting, there is football smarts which is its own thing.  Jim Kelly got a 15 on the Wonderlic.  At the time, my impression of him was that he was not a very bright guy.  However, I heard a teammate talk about him and say that they were able to run the K-Gun the way they did because Kelly was super smart.  He wasn't book smart...or probably even street smart...but football smart is its own thing.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

And there is not only culturally based intelligence but, as I think you are suggesting, there is football smarts which is its own thing.  Jim Kelly got a 15 on the Wonderlic.  At the time, my impression of him was that he was not a very bright guy.  However, I heard a teammate talk about him and say that they were able to run the K-Gun the way they did because Kelly was super smart.  He wasn't book smart...or probably even street smart...but football smart is its own thing.

Makes me wonder why Allen--or pretty much any QB since Kelly--isn't allowed to call plays beyond the occasional audible. I get it that the OC has eyes on the field and has resources spread out in front of him, but, as with Kelly and the K-Gun, letting Allen, say, suddenly go hurry up for a series and call his own plays could really put a defense on its heels. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Watches the plays on the tablet then draws them up on the whiteboard and quizzes himself.

Love this kid. He better be great 

Really loved this interview! Was much more relaxed than his intro video after being drafted.  Smart kid, respectful and wants to learn and be great.  I wish this kid all the best!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Bateman just got a two year extension, that goes into effect after his upcoming 4th season with Baltimore (instead of a pricey, fully guaranteed 5th year option...seems smart AF even if the player hasn't fully stepped up yet). 

Williams in DET and Dotson in WAS both seem like guys who will be counted on this season to take another step forward. They are VERY likely to leave this list as long as they stay healthy. 

Difficult to tell for certain what you're driving at here, but I'd argue that Coleman easily comes off as a LOT savvier than most 20 year-old WR prospects. There are a number of icky biases inherent in your assumption about Keon Coleman's aptitude. The Wonderlic is being phased out already and with good reason.   

Further to this, didn’t Williams miss most of his rookie season while he recovered from that injury?

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Coleman seems pretty smart and articulate to me, but even if he wasn't, academic intelligence doesn't really mean much in sports. It's just about having a football brain, or a tennis brain or a soccer brain or whatever.

Marino was supposedly terrible at his wonderlic but his football IQ was off the charts. I'm sure Peterman was always top of the class in his Bible study group yet when it comes to making throws on the field he's the equivalent of someone who needs R and L writing on their shoes

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Coleman seems pretty smart and articulate to me, but even if he wasn't, academic intelligence doesn't really mean much in sports. It's just about having a football brain, or a tennis brain or a soccer brain or whatever.

Marino was supposedly terrible at his wonderlic but his football IQ was off the charts. I'm sure Peterman was always top of the class in his Bible study group yet when it comes to making throws on the field he's the equivalent of someone who needs R and L writing on their shoes

It amazes me how some people take another person's southern drawl as being unintelligent. Especially a person with darker skin. Is James Carville not smart? 

• Like (+1) 1