Bills Rookie Minicamp

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I love the way he effortlessly plucks the ball out of the air. A big focus of our past two offseasons has been adding pass catchers that, well, catch passes.

Anyone know who they have throwing to the WRs in this minicamp? 

9 hours ago, DaVinci said:

15 - Jim Kelly Wonderlic score

Some people just don’t test well on paper in artificial conditions. Real life instincts/emotional intelligence matters more imho.  

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Some people just don’t test well on paper in artificial conditions. Real life instincts/emotional intelligence matters more imho.  

Quarterbacks: Jacob Eason, Gunnar Watson

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Coleman seems pretty smart and articulate to me, but even if he wasn't, academic intelligence doesn't really mean much in sports. It's just about having a football brain, or a tennis brain or a soccer brain or whatever.

Marino was supposedly terrible at his wonderlic but his football IQ was off the charts. I'm sure Peterman was always top of the class in his Bible study group yet when it comes to making throws on the field he's the equivalent of someone who needs R and L writing on their shoes

Dyslexia has nothing to do with arm strength. Peterman isn’t stupid, he’s trying to get by in the pros with a peewee arm. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Coleman seems pretty smart and articulate to me, but even if he wasn't, academic intelligence doesn't really mean much in sports. It's just about having a football brain, or a tennis brain or a soccer brain or whatever.

Marino was supposedly terrible at his wonderlic but his football IQ was off the charts. I'm sure Peterman was always top of the class in his Bible study group yet when it comes to making throws on the field he's the equivalent of someone who needs R and L writing on their shoes

Marino and Kelly both took the Wonderlic before anyone took it seriously.   It is possible they just went through it as fast as possible.   Pat McInally (Harvard and Bengals punter from the late 70s and early 80s) got a perfect grade of 50 on it and was later told that some teams passed on him because they thought he was too smart and would always be questioning the coaches.

In any case, I could imagine that people get lower grades on the Wonderlich than before since the last version I saw had a lot of mental math and there's not as much reason for people to do that kind of calculation in their heads these days.

I'm glad to hear they brought Eason in.  He has a big arm and is a big dude. Might be one of the few that could come close to Josh's arm strength. 

He was a big time high school prospect. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, finn said:

Makes me wonder why Allen--or pretty much any QB since Kelly--isn't allowed to call plays beyond the occasional audible. I get it that the OC has eyes on the field and has resources spread out in front of him, but, as with Kelly and the K-Gun, letting Allen, say, suddenly go hurry up for a series and call his own plays could really put a defense on its heels. 

We haven't had a qb good/long enough to really consider besides Allen. Plus we know he would probably have like 20 carries a game if he was calling the plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

See CJ Stroud on his test. I doubt the Texans regret it even though Josh did have the highest score in his draft class.

2 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

We haven't had a qb good/long enough to really consider besides Allen. Plus we know he would probably have like 20 carries a game if he was calling the plays.

And shots at the end zone every third play. 

17 hours ago, finn said:

And shots at the end zone every third play. 

Maybe if he was calling his own plays, he would learn what actually works and what doesn't.  Being an on-the-field coach could be very good for his development.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Interesting comments from Brian Ballinger on rookie minicamps in general, and how immediately you can tell who is a bust or not.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/baldinger-you-know-right-away-if-rookies-can-make-nfl-team

"I'm aware of it. But like I said earlier, I'm happy to keep the main thing the main thing and get back to playing ball"

That quote from Coleman shows he gets it.  I am sure "Baldy" would love it.

On 5/11/2024 at 3:46 PM, Udubalum07 said:

I'm glad to hear they brought Eason in.  He has a big arm and is a big dude. Might be one of the few that could come close to Josh's arm strength. 

He was a big time high school prospect. 

His father is Tony Eason, no, not that one, the other Tony Eason.

Coleman flashes athleticism

Coleman didn’t have many opportunities during the short practice, but he managed to flash on two plays - one during 7-on-7 and one during 11-on-11 near the end of team drills. The first was an explosive rep featuring a great release and excellent footwork to operate to a wide-open part of the field. Tryout quarterback Jacob Eason couldn’t mess up the play because Coleman was so wide-open. Eason fired it in for about a 12-yard completion.

Coleman showed off his tracking and speed skills on his catch during full team work. Rookie cornerback Daequan Hardy was in coverage, and Coleman just blew past him and caught a pass from Eason for a monster gain.

Get UDFA cornerback on your radar

The Bills signed undrafted free agent cornerback Keni-H Lovely, and he wasted no time making a first impression. The Western Michigan product, who ran an unofficial 4.35 40-yard dash at his pro day, made the biggest play of the day when he picked off a pass from Eason on the first play on 11-on-11.

Lovely was in coverage against Coleman and he set the physical tone back in 7-on-7 work. When Coleman finally broke free from Lovely after a bump at the line, the cornerback moved toward the ball, and the receiver didn’t have a chance. Lovely also recorded a pass breakup while working against Coleman.

The Bills have a history of developing undrafted cornerbacks in their system. Levi Wallace started nearly 50 games, and Ja’Marcus Ingram has been on their roster for the past two seasons, playing in five games as a UDFA out of the University at Buffalo. Lovely brings rare speed and could be the next unheralded gem in the Bills’ secondary. He is a raw prospect and new defensive backs coach Joe Danna, who took over for longtime coach John Butler, is tasked with unlocking Lovely’s potential.

Pass rusher shows off some moves

It’s never a good idea to take too much away from a non-padded football practice, especially regarding offensive and defensive line play. But fifth-round pick Javon Soloman’s athleticism was impossible to ignore on the field. He showed off a few pass-rush moves and made things tough on fellow rookie tackle Tylan Grable all afternoon. Soloman’s speed and quickness are going to be something to watch this summer as he pushes for a role on Marcus West’s defensive line.

UDFA receiver shows well

Former Ohio State receiver Xavier Johnson went undrafted because he didn’t have a clean fit in the NFL. He might play slot or be able to hang on the boundary. But he made sure everyone knew he had reliable hands in his first impression at rookie camp. Johnson had four targets during team drills and caught every one. He showed some nice recovery ability on a bad throw and showed quick feet.

• Like (+1) 2