Funny - old NFL vs today’s NFL

Great old school clip! As much as I miss some of the hard-nosed plays and what it meant to play defense back then, I think what I miss most was the continuity that came as a fan seeing the same players year-after year spending 7-10 years together.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Watching old games from the late 80's and early 90's is a similar experience.  The game is so different.  

My son tries to engage my in debates about who the best players of all-time are and he obviously always skews to more recent players.  I often remind him that all of those old QBs got absolutely abused in ways that the modern guys don't have to deal with.  The guys they were throwing to got abused too either because they were allowed to be held all over the place or because you had safeties whose entire job it was to kill you if you went over the middle of the field.  We gnash our teeth about Taylor Rapp right now. He'd be an absolute lightweight of a hitter 25-30 years ago. Prime Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, Leonard Smith, psychopaths like Chuck Cecil. "Dad why didn't QBs run like Lamar and Josh back then?" Because they'd have died doing it and they'd have put the hits into highlight VHS tapes that they sold back to you or, like this, put it into the intro video for the weekly broadcast. I still remember the hit Steve Pelleur took from Mike Singletary and the one Joe Ferguson took from Wilbur Marshall in 1985, Bryce Paup knocking out Paul Justin in 1995, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

You can tell the "Astroturf" is pretty much plastic carpeting over a slab of concrete.

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

We have to remember the good old days because the guys playing in them can't.

Back when the treatment for a concussion was a pack of camels and some smelling salts. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Watching old games from the late 80's and early 90's is a similar experience.  The game is so different.  

My son tries to engage my in debates about who the best players of all-time are and he obviously always skews to more recent players.  I often remind him that all of those old QBs got absolutely abused in ways that the modern guys don't have to deal with.  The guys they were throwing to got abused too either because they were allowed to be held all over the place or because you had safeties whose entire job it was to kill you if you went over the middle of the field.  We gnash our teeth about Taylor Rapp right now. He'd be an absolute lightweight of a hitter 25-30 years ago. Prime Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, Leonard Smith, psychopaths like Chuck Cecil. "Dad why didn't QBs run like Lamar and Josh back then?" Because they'd have died doing it and they'd have put the hits into highlight VHS tapes that they sold back to you or, like this, put it into the intro video for the weekly broadcast. I still remember the hit Steve Pelleur took from Mike Singletary and the one Joe Ferguson took from Wilbur Marshall in 1985, Bryce Paup knocking out Paul Justin in 1995, etc.

You remember Atwater's hit in the superbowl against Green Bay? Knocked himself out and one of his own guys as well I think.

What I miss is the defensive battles that would now be called boring. The cat and mouse, cagey nature of the game just doesn't feel the same now with everything being geared towards offense.

I still consider super bowl xxiii the greatest of all time but I read a report recently where the writer was saying it was only a good ending but a terrible game because it was 3 - 3 at halftime. To me that's completely missing the point but maybe I'm just middle aged and out of date

16 hours ago, Gregg said:

The way they showed the scores back then looks so cheap :)

The highlights from Cleveland’s old Muni bring back memories. Dual use facility with baseball so there was always a section of the field that had the infield dirt across it. I remember an outfielder getting traded away who said “I don’t have any idea where to stand here. In Cleveland I’d just stand on the 50.”

I can't argue with the changes for player safety but I did enjoy the "old days" more. There was less of a need for a superstar QB and more of a need for great lines. The Steelers, Raiders, and Cowboys stayed great for SO long due prinarily to their outstanding line play.

Jmo.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Had same conversation about hockey playoffs with a friend this past week.

Hard to argue against the player safety rules, but I'm not watching the same sports I watched growing up. I don't recall my father or grandfather making that point to me.  

Your grandfather didn't watch sports.  He listened to baseball on the radio after fighting in WWII.

The world moves one.

People that think the hits in that video clip are to be glorified really are disturbing to me. I know some that harken back for the old days aren't glorifying violence. I understand some are just frustrated as we all are at times with the ticky tack perosnal foul calls. But some on here really are glorifying these type of hits and it's a bit sickening. 

Saying Brady wouldn't have "survived". What does that even mean? The star players we all want to watch can now play for years longer because they can stay healthy.  

The reason the NFL is the king of all sports is because they eliminated almost all of that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Your grandfather didn't watch sports.  He listened to baseball on the radio after fighting in WWII.

The world moves one.

People that think the hits in that video clip are to be glorified really are disturbing to me. I know some that harken back for the old days aren't glorifying violence. I understand some are just frustrated as we all are at times with the ticky tack perosnal foul calls. But some on here really are glorifying these type of hits and it's a bit sickening. 

Saying Brady wouldn't have "survived". What does that even mean? The star players we all want to watch can now play for years longer because they can stay healthy.  

The reason the NFL is the king of all sports is because they eliminated almost all of that. 

So overdramatic sheesh. It's not coming back, who cares what people say? Let people reminisce.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Nope. And some of it should be still allowed.

Not sure which of those plays ought to be allowed. Not the clothesline tackle, not the face mask, for sure.  Maybe not flipping a guy and driving him head first into the ground. 

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Not sure which of those plays ought to be allowed. Not the clothesline tackle, not the face mask, for sure.  Maybe not flipping a guy and driving him head first into the ground. 

It allowed if it's a Cowboy, Chief, jet, patsie, or Dolphin. 

• Haha (+1) 1

See I watch that video and my thought is that the football being played back then wasn’t very good. Cheap shots on receivers and QBs, DBs have to hold because they can’t keep up with the receiver-the game has probably skewed a little too far towards offense but in my opinion it’s a better game of football 

• Thank you (+1) 1