Seems like the Bills are building a WRer room full of large hardnose WRer's that can block.

gjv

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

What's weird to me is that the Chiefs continue to roll out turbo-boosted smurfs at WR, and yet they somehow continue to produce at a high level in the playoffs. They doubled down on the strategy this offseason, signing Hollywood Brown and drafting Xavier Worthy.

Why is it that all they have to do is press our guys and play really physical with them, and it makes us change our whole team philosophy at WR, but we -- with our defense-minded head coach and frequent top five regular season defensive rankings -- somehow haven't figured out after four years of playoff battles how to slow THEIR small fast guys down? 

things-that-make-you-go-hmm-c-and-c-musi

You're not wrong. 

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They want BIG and Athletic.  Speed is good, don't get me wrong, but they are seeming to push for big, physical WR's and that is what Joe Brady had his year as OC with HIS offense down at LSU.  No more getting bullied at the LOS, and hopefully a lot more contested balls.  It also brings a greater Catch radius for Allen to hit on when his passes are slightly off.

Look I get it, Fans want splash they want exciting and we tried that with smaller, faster WR's and it didn't work.  I am excited to see this new approach to be honest, and if we get the running game going, then we are going to see somewhat less exciting 8, 10,12+ play drives that eat the clock and keep guys like Mahomes and Kelce on the bench and hopefully lead to more TD's.

Speed, and size in the WR room is not mutually exclusive. Shakir, Samuel, and Kamler are all fast. Coleman is faster than he's getting credit for. Slow 40, perhaps, but his top-end speed is up there. But the thing that hasn't, and likely won't be replaced from the departure of Diggs is separation. Diggs' ability to effortlessly separate, and get open (and then consistently catch the ball, of course) is what truly made him elite. Those crazy, athletic grabs he would make from time to time were icing on the cake, and made for super entertaining football-- but it was his ability to separate, regardless if it was on schedule, or extending a blown play that really won us some games.

It's hard for me to get too excited about Claypool, or much of our WR room, to be honest. The well-earned knock on Claypool is that he can't separate off-schedule, and get himself open. He has all those strongman YAC traits, and can catch a contested ball, and competently run the route that's assigned to him. That might work for a team like the Dolphins, who butter their bread with timing routes, and quick reads-- but that's not Bills football.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It would be about his 5th change of scenery but ok lol

It’s his first change of scenery he had full autonomy over (3rd total).  Can’t say I know the future but I don’t think I’d be happy getting traded to the bears either so this could go better haha 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I actually really like adding chase claypool for cheap. 

he might turn it around with a change of scenery and if he doesn’t just cut him.  Hard to be too upset with him getting frustrated playing for pit and then Chicago back to back lol that’s like a wr death sentence 

Yeah, Chase Claypool is an interesting signing.  He's got all kinds of measurables with both great size and really good speed.  The knock on him is that he takes plays and games off where he doesn't put out much effort.  If the Bills can get some consistency out of him, he could easily outpace his contract.  

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

or maybe they want WR's that can win vs physical press in the playoffs? 

Buffalo has struggled in the playoffs when the refs have let KC CBs mug their WRs.  Buffalo is getting receivers who can fight back and don't need refs to protect them.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I’m also think we should have gotten bigger, the smurfs only got us so far. It’s always easier for a QB to throw to a bigger target. Especially down field which we have been lacking, the longer arms help. I just wish it was better big guys. We should of offered a couple 1st’s for Adams or Jefferson imo

Edited by Bills Bud
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

1. Get bigger and slower at WR

2. Take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands more

Perfect offseason so far.

Maybe will be able to actually do something in the redzone this season beyond Josh Allen heroics. Not to worried about the Bills offense between the 20 yard lines.

35 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Speed, and size in the WR room is not mutually exclusive. Shakir, Samuel, and Kamler are all fast. Coleman is faster than he's getting credit for. Slow 40, perhaps, but his top-end speed is up there. But the thing that hasn't, and likely won't be replaced from the departure of Diggs is separation. Diggs' ability to effortlessly separate, and get open (and then consistently catch the ball, of course) is what truly made him elite. Those crazy, athletic grabs he would make from time to time were icing on the cake, and made for super entertaining football-- but it was his ability to separate, regardless if it was on schedule, or extending a blown play that really won us some games.

It's hard for me to get too excited about Claypool, or much of our WR room, to be honest. The well-earned knock on Claypool is that he can't separate off-schedule, and get himself open. He has all those strongman YAC traits, and can catch a contested ball, and competently run the route that's assigned to him. That might work for a team like the Dolphins, who butter their bread with timing routes, and quick reads-- but that's not Bills football.

We aren't running Dabols offense this season the way I understand it.  It's Brady's that he ran at LSU

51 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Are Jefferson and Chase consider big and physical WR's? That is not how would classify them nor would I say the Bills are bringing those type of guys. Not to mention Brady was not the OC nor was i

While Ermsberger was named OC it was Bradys offense esp the passing scheme.   Brady has inpute into who we are bringing in and we are bringing in more bigger guys than in the past.

They said we will be running Bradys system and even Josh is open to change.  It won't be Dabols system any longer that we run.

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We aren't running Dabols offense this season the way I understand it.  It's Brady's that he ran at LSU

I think that would be a disaster without some very serious development. Brady had Joe Burrow throwing to Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson. Talk about playing with a stacked deck. 

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

That's a fair point. (Although, an offensive scheme in which WRs getting separation isn't a significant plus doesn't exist) I think we could see the increased importance of YAC in Brady's scheme, after he took over from Dorsey. And YAC wasn't really a strength of most of our receivers, including Kincaid. It should be something to see the improvement in that element of the game this season.

• Agree 1

To me, it just shows we want a balance of big body/x-receiver types and slot/Versatile types on the team.

Going into the draft, we already had 2 slot/Versatile receivers, but just Hollins as a semi proven big bodied receiver (at least his blocking skills).

We needed a couple more big body types, at least 1 starter, for the roster.  And likely 1 more slot/Versatile type (if we keep 6/for return duties).  At least for Practice Squad.

Beane is seeing if one or two of these "fliers" sticks (Claypool, Hamler, Cephus) OR hoping that Shorter, Shavers takes a step, and has Isabella as a fallback slot/returner.

I'd be more confident if we had a proven/more consistent upgrade over Hollins in that WR4 spot.  Just gotta hope now that 1 of the guys above stands out in training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

Another thing to consider - kick coverage is changing. The types of ST players before the rule change maybe are different than now? Most of the non 1st team guys probably make the team if they play ST.

I think it shows they have role they want filled in the offense.  Coleman is a style of wr Allen hasn't had and the offense hasn't utilized.  I think Shorter, Shavers and Claypool will compete to be the primary back up to Coleman.   Hollins though could be that I see him more as Davis/Sherfield role.  He is solidly the 4th wr.  Isabella and Hamler are also on the roster.  I think one of them makes it as well.  Slot and deep threat ability with returner duties. 

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The issue on this is outside of Hollins and Isabella none of these guys are going to be on ST and that's what you ask your back end guys to do. 

Hollins is a back-end guy.  FWIW Claypoole took over 100 snaps on ST for Miami last season in half a season.

Guys like Shorter and Shavers need to work on the ST craft.  It's not rocket science.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Staler and Waldorf are hilarious. Leave them be. 

If Claypool was given anything more than vet min plus incentives I’ll be livid. Also I hope they keep Coleman the hell away from him. 

I for one hope he said POP and pulled his head out.  He is 25 now and hopefully he has realized this is it.

37 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

That's a fair point. (Although, an offensive scheme in which WRs getting separation isn't a significant plus doesn't exist) I think we could see the increased importance of YAC in Brady's scheme, after he took over from Dorsey. And YAC wasn't really a strength of most of our receivers, including Kincaid. It should be something to see the improvement in that element of the game this season.

I posted something about the start of the offseason that really broke down bradys scheme and I liked it.  He has a lot of what Peyton ran in NO when Breese put up 5000 yards each year.  

One point I liked is his plays always have an option put to drop the ball off if Allen gets in trouble.  Dabols didnt.

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Polar opposite of the smurfs from Allen's early days.

Actually in Allen's rookie season his top three targeted wide receivers were between 6'2" and 6'5".  

And the other targets included that 6'4" stiff Andre Holmes and of course Charles Clay.

Lil' Dummy McKenzie was the only smurf and he got like 30 targets. 

That strategy began in 2017 signing Holmes, trading for 6'3" Jordan Matthews and 6.5" Kelvin Benjamin.

It proved to be disastrous to their passing attack so they pivoted in 2019 and 2020 to smaller, quicker receivers.

Beane lamented the error of their ways trying to build around big catch radius guys instead of guys who got open.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I will say this his vision for the X receiver sure has changed he still has slot pretty well covered with Shakir and Samuels both are terrific after the catch. 

Diggs for as great a receiver as he is was barely 6’0 180 lbs soaking wet. 

What I do beleive is this means that Brady has plans to line Dalton out wide more than we think. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat