Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Simon said:

I hope he shows up so pissed off from his well-deserved humbling that the Bills can't keep him off the field.

Yeah, I never get the idea of rooting for players that are on the Bills roster to fail from people that are supposed to be fans of the team. Those people would rather "be right" than see the success of others that would add to the success of the team. There's a distinct difference IMO between "thinking" he could be an early cut and "hoping" for it.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

He's an example for this team any which way. If he takes the humble pie and is productive, he's an example of anyone can change if given the right opportunity and situation. And the Bills are that kind of organization to be the best version of yourself.  If he goes south again, he's an example of what not to do to have a successful NFL career, even if you have the talent. And kudos to the Bills for giving him the opportunity.  Either way, low risk and he's not going to poison our already established and solid locker room.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

He's an example for this team any which way. If he takes the humble pie and is productive, he's an example of anyone can change if given the right opportunity and situation. And the Bills are that kind of organization to be the best version of yourself.  If he goes south again, he's an example of what not to do to have a successful NFL career, even if you have the talent. And kudos to the Bills for giving him the opportunity.  Either way, low risk and he's not going to poison our already established and solid locker room.

yes exactly! and I would hope the Bills locker room isn't so fragile that one new guy could "poison" it, if so they have bigger problems

7 hours ago, Brand J said:

If Claypool had signed with the Chiefs, we would’ve collectively shrugged that off and not expected anything from him.

Are you sure about that? I saw people on here freak out because they got Justyn Ross as a UDFA, then again when they traded for Kadarius Toney, and people still haven't learned because we heard it all again after they traded up with us and took Xavier Worthy.

I'm keeping my expectations low, where they should be. Still Claypool is more than just another Andy Isabella IMO. He has some sort of past production to lean on so there is a glimmer of hope there. If the plan is to take a shot in the dark on him and then trade for a WR at the deadline if/when he fails, I'm okay with that.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Great, found a deal on a carcinogen.  Maybe next we can find some cheap asbestos.

He's not going to show a poor attitude in camp, how stupid do you think he is?  It's once the injustice of Coleman getting more game time than Claypool starts to materialize, then the locker room cancer starts to form.  Various forms of this cancer have followed Claypool through his travels.

We just had major surgery to clear the Diggs virus so forgive some of us for being a little jumpy when they introduce a toxin into the locker room 

This is so overdramatic for a guy who stands to make essentially a vet minimum salary.  He has zero leverage to "be a cancer" at any point in training camp or the regular season.

He's a big, fast guy with good hands. Are you trying to say that the Bills should be more invested in character than athletic ability? It's been one of the major criticisms of the Bills since McD took over. 

For all three of these guys - low risk moves.  If they come into camp and show they’ve gotten over injuries or have their head straight now or whatever, great!  That helps the roster.  If not, they get released.  Simple.

Claypool is interesting.  He could be out of the league or in the starting lineup by Halloween.  Real athleticism, previous production, with a wide open position group.  Mcdermott is trying to build his confidence time will tell.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Enough has been made about Claypool's off-field stuff, so I'll say this about his on-field success:

If I'm not mistaken, when Claypool was putting up his two 800+ yard seasons with the Steelers, they were using him primarily as a big slot. A guy who can get free releases, run down the seam, and play bully ball against smaller nickel corners. 

I think that if the Bills plan to use him that way, Claypool can be successful here. MVS and Hollins play X, they've already stated they want Coleman to play X, and Samuel and Shakir can both play Y and Z. The Bills currently don't really have another situational big slot on the roster other than Claypool.

Given that Claypool would likely be, at best, the WR5 or WR6, they'll likely only be using him situationally, in schemed up looks and specific packages. As such, I can see him succeeding in that role. The Bills could potentially have a pretty big personnel set at times if they wanted, with Coleman, MVS/Hollins, and Claypool at WR, and Kincaid at TE. Such a grouping seems like it would lend itself well to running the ball and to red zone production.

If Claypool is to succeed in Buffalo and stick on the 53 man roster, it will take not only him having his head screwed on straight and playing well, but the Bills having a plan for how to use him. Based on Claypool's comments at OTAs, it seems like he likes the way they're deploying him so far. Here's hoping he can reclaim the talent and production he once showed in this league, because it would go a long way in helping and diversifying the Bills offense.

Edited by Logic
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Enough has been made about Claypool's off-field stuff, so I'll say this about his on-field success:

If I'm not mistaken, when Claypool was putting up his two 800+ yard seasons with the Steelers, they were using him primarily as a big slot. A guy who can get free releases, run down the seam, and play bully ball against smaller nickel corners. 

I think that if the Bills plan to use him that way, Claypool can be successful here. MVS and Hollins play X, they've already stated they want Coleman to play X, and Samuel and Shakir can both play Y and Z. The Bills currently don't really have another situational big slot on the roster other than Claypool.

Given that Claypool would likely be, at best, the WR5 or WR6, they'll likely only be using him situationally, in schemed up looks and specific packages. As such, I can see him succeeding in that role. The Bills could potentially have a pretty big personnel set at times if they wanted, with Coleman, MVS/Hollins, and Claypool at WR, and Kincaid at TE. Such a grouping seems like it would lend itself well to running the ball and to red zone production.

If Claypool is to succeed in Buffalo and stick on the 53 man roster, it will take not only him having his head screwed on straight and playing well, but the Bills having a plan for how to use him. Based on Claypool's comments at OTAs, it seems like he likes the way they're deploying him so far. Here's hoping he can reclaim the talent and production he once showed in this league, because it would go a long way in helping and diversifying the Bills offense.

I find the potential size of the WR room to be refreshing.  Lack of physicality at the position has hurt this team, especially in the postseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

When the Steelers, a very shrewd team when it comes to evaluating receivers, cut bait with a talented one, (M.Bryant, Antonio, JuJu) it's usually for a good reason. Their careers generally experience a downward spiral. That's certainly also been the case with Claypool so far (from doing stupid locker room Tic Tok vidios with JuJu, refusing to block, not running out his routes when he's not the hot read, running lazy ones even when his number is called etc...). It all points to his not really being interested in playing football, however hard that is to understand given the money he is passing up. When you are that stupid I can't imagine turning things around. If he had the dedication and work ethic of a much less gifted player like say Justin Shorter he would immediately be our #1 receiver based on talent and demonstrated ability imo. He would open up our passing game with significant benefit to our other guys in a big way,

if ever he pans out I would consider it something of a miracle and a blessing.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

When the Steelers, a very shrewd team when it comes to evaluating receivers, cut bait with a talented one, (M.Bryant, Antonio, JuJu) it's usually for a good reason. Their careers generally experience a downward spiral. That's certainly also been the case with Claypool so far (from doing stupid locker room Tic Tok vidios with JuJu, refusing to block, not running out his routes when he's not the hot read, running lazy ones even when his number is called etc...). It all points to his not really being interested in playing football, however hard that is to understand given the money he is passing up. When you are that stupid I can't imagine turning things around. If he had the dedication and work ethic of a much less gifted player like say Justin Shorter he would immediately be our #1 receiver based on talent and demonstrated ability imo. He would open up our passing game with significant benefit to our other guys in a big way,

if ever he pans out I would consider it something of a miracle and a blessing.

The conditions for Claypool cannot be any better so if he fails with the Bills there's really no hope for him. Claypool is with a quality organization, is on a minimum deal where he can be cut with no ramifications, he's on his 4th team in 3 seasons so he is clearly on his last chance, and he is playing with the best QB he's ever played with. He's also on a team where he can actually get opportunities at WR if he plays well. Outside of Shakir and Samuel there's no WR's that are established and going to take up a good amount of target. Coleman is a high draft pick but he can easily be displaced if he shows the need for polish, MVS is a solid vet but he's not certain to take up a bunch of targets, Hollins is more of a special teams player and the rest of the WR group are fringe players. 

So if Claypool can't do it here he's never going to do it and that's a wrap for his NFL career. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Are you sure about that? I saw people on here freak out because they got Justyn Ross as a UDFA, then again when they traded for Kadarius Toney, and people still haven't learned because we heard it all again after they traded up with us and took Xavier Worthy.

I'm keeping my expectations low, where they should be. Still Claypool is more than just another Andy Isabella IMO. He has some sort of past production to lean on so there is a glimmer of hope there. If the plan is to take a shot in the dark on him and then trade for a WR at the deadline if/when he fails, I'm okay with that.

While I don't disagree with your sentiment, he is a lot more than Andy Isabella.  

He has elite traits and ability, Andy does not.  He had a blazing start to his career posting over 850 yards both seasons with a broken Big Ben as the third WR.  When he was traded to the Bears, the Steelers got back a first round pick.  He got in the doghouse in Pittsburgh thanks to immaturity which persisted in Chicago where he fell down the depth chart over it on a team that couldn't pass the ball well.  Tired of the immaturity, Bears dumped him for pennies on the dollar to Miami where he was deep on the depth chart for a team that just didn't have a role for him.

If this kid can get his head on straight he has top end WR1 talent and potential...Isabella is a gadget or role player at his best.  Now...that is a TALL ask that someone who had previous immaturity issues and effort issues can change their spots long term, so nothing is for sure with him.  But I will say this, if he can continue doing what he is now, which is accepting his humbling, remaining focused and committed in all facets of the game (which includes ST's) and put the work in as a team first player, he very well has the potential to emerge as a starting boundary WR here in Buffalo.  

The test will be can he keep that effort, enthusiasm, etc up if he doesn't find that success or opportunity early.  If he is still running with Trubisky late in the preseason and looking more like a WR4 or WR5 to start the season who plays ST's mostly, will he keep that positive energy and attitude up.  Its easy to be all smiles now and say the right things while the potential to get a bigger role is still there, but he would likely have to surpass Samuel to get any relevant WR minutes as Shakir is set in the slot and one of Allens and Beanes favorite players.  

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah, I never get the idea of rooting for players that are on the Bills roster to fail from people that are supposed to be fans of the team. Those people would rather "be right" than see the success of others that would add to the success of the team. There's a distinct difference IMO between "thinking" he could be an early cut and "hoping" for it.

He's convinced Beane is going to make a 6th rosterable WR addition this offseason, in a big trade. So he needs 8 of our current 13 WR's to end up cut if we keep 6, or 9 of the current 13 eventually cut if we only keep 5, like last season - to keep that dream alive.

That's his motivation for rooting against Claypool, creating scenarios where he's a "carcinogen" to the locker room, and wanting him cut quickly.

But I don't see a scenario where Beane gives all of Shorter, Claypool, Hamler, Isabella, Shavers and the rest of the UDFA/PS field a 0% chance of making the roster, if we were to keep 6. Or all of the previous list, plus 1 of MVS or Hollins also being cut, if we were to keep 5 again.

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is true. I'd go so far as to say posters around here would be *more* positive of Claypool's ability to rejuvenate his career if KC had signed him than they are of him doing it here.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

11 hours ago, Logic said:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Claypool was used by the Steelers (the only team that he played for that matters IMHO) 10.9% in the slot.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Claypool was used by the Steelers (the only team that he played for that matters IMHO) 10.9% in the slot.

Nope. Looks like you're reading it correctly, and I'm just flat out wrong in my recollection of how he was used in PIttsburgh.

More importantly, thank you for that link! What a tremendous database of information that is. I've been looking for something like that for a while, but was not familiar with that site. I'm gonna get great use out of that. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Nope. Looks like you're reading it correctly, and I'm just flat out wrong in my recollection of how he was used in PIttsburgh.

More importantly, thank you for that link! What a tremendous database of information that is. I've been looking for something like that for a while, but was not familiar with that site. I'm gonna get great use out of that. Thanks.

Yeah it’s a great site. That’s where I saw that Samuel was used ~50% outside by Brady in Carolina. I forget who gave it to me but thanks to them. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah it’s a great site. That’s where I saw that Samuel was used ~50% outside by Brady in Carolina. I forget who gave it to me but thanks to them. 

I've seen a lot of outlets -- including Bills beat reporters -- list Curtis Samuel as more of a slot player, but my impression has been that he's equal parts Y and Z. That usage percentage under Brady would seem to confirm my suspicion. I don't think the Bills signed him thinking "he'll be our slot guy". I think they really like Shakir in that role.

That said, while Shakir is primarily a Y, he's shown that he can play Z at times as well. I think we'll see a lot of interchangeability between Samuel and Shakir depending on matchups and personnel groupings.

Going back to Claypool, though...If, in fact, he has never played much in the slot, it makes me wonder how the Bills intend to use him. With the two guys I just mentioned getting most of the snaps at Y and Z, and them clearly liking Coleman at X, where does that leave Claypool? Is he more of a WR4/5 that backs up all three positions? I'm intrigued by the IDEA of Claypool, I'm just not sure how/where he fits in the WR room, particularly after the addition of MVS.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 10:08 AM, Logic said:

I've seen a lot of outlets -- including Bills beat reporters -- list Curtis Samuel as more of a slot player, but my impression has been that he's equal parts Y and Z. That usage percentage under Brady would seem to confirm my suspicion. I don't think the Bills signed him thinking "he'll be our slot guy". I think they really like Shakir in that role.

That said, while Shakir is primarily a Y, he's shown that he can play Z at times as well. I think we'll see a lot of interchangeability between Samuel and Shakir depending on matchups and personnel groupings.

Going back to Claypool, though...If, in fact, he has never played much in the slot, it makes me wonder how the Bills intend to use him. With the two guys I just mentioned getting most of the snaps at Y and Z, and them clearly liking Coleman at X, where does that leave Claypool? Is he more of a WR4/5 that backs up all three positions? I'm intrigued by the IDEA of Claypool, I'm just not sure how/where he fits in the WR room, particularly after the addition of MVS.

Samuel doesn't have alligator arms.  So he's got that going for him.  Which is nice...

9 hours ago, Thurmal34 said:

if he makes the team ill hire les claypool to play at hammers lot for the tbdhotg

The 53-man roster or would PS work?

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Doc said:

Samuel doesn't have alligator arms.  So he's got that going for him.  Which is nice...

The 53-man roster or would PS work?

My son is starting a caddie job for the first time - None of us in the family really play golf - But I love that movie and was fun to see that my son needed to be dropped off at the caddyshack for training!  You scratched my anchor!

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 1