Realistic "Transition Year" Expectations

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

"In transition" implies that talent level has decreased, and they're retooling the roster to better compete in the future. 

In other words, trying to compete while in a rebuild mode.

Probably could have been avoided but McD and Beane were chasing a few plays trying to get through KC. Bringing the same guys back year after year hoping a few tweaks will be enough.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Am I the only one who thinks the derogatory name calling is childish? 

Yep, he is talking about an NFL head coach who has the 2nd most wins over the last five seasons. The #1 guy is Andy Reid for the KC Chiefs.

So, consider the source. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Yep, he is talking about an NFL head coach who has the 2nd most wins over the last five seasons. The #1 guy is Andy Reid for the KC Chiefs.

So, consider the source. 

He’s also got the best winning percentage in Bills history, but sure, let’s fire him.

He’s certainly not perfect, but I’d like to think that like everyone else he can get even better at what he does. Get us over the hump ONE time to eliminate the “he can never do it” argument. 

• Like (+1) 1

Also, Bills fans need to understand that at the end of the last few seasons, the Buffalo defense has suffered numerous injuries. Besides, the Buffalo defensive line was a supposed strong point, and yet against the Chiefs, they only had 2 QB hits from Groot and Lawson, and no sacks. 

This team needed a purge of older, expensive veterans who were falling on their faces at the end of the season. Diggs was one of them as his targets didn't decline from the first of the season to the second half, but his production fell off big time. Plus, he would turn nearly invisible in the playoffs.

In my view, Buffalo had an amazing draft and filled many holes with some very talented players. So the team didn't draft the guy most Bills fans wanted at WR. How about we wait and see what this team looks like in preseason? Relax and have faith in the guy who found and drafted QB Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s also got the best winning percentage in Bills history, but sure, let’s fire him.

He’s certainly not perfect, but I’d like to think that like everyone else he can get even better at what he does. Get us over the hump ONE time to eliminate the “he can never do it” argument. 

Andy Reid wore that "he can't win the big one" label for years in Philadelphia.  Then he went to KC, found his future HOF QB, and went on from there.  Tony Dungy wore that label for years, too, until he and Peyton finally won the Lombardi. 

There's a lot of luck involved in any SB win.  Consider that in NE's greatest season, 2007, when they won 18 games in a row, a pass that David Tyree caught on his helmet, cost them the Super Bowl --- and an historic perfect 19-0 season.   Manure happens.

38 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Also, Bills fans need to understand that at the end of the last few seasons, the Buffalo defense has suffered numerous injuries. Besides, the Buffalo defensive line was a supposed strong point, and yet against the Chiefs, they only had 2 QB hits from Groot and Lawson, and no sacks. 

This team needed a purge of older, expensive veterans who were falling on their faces at the end of the season. Diggs was one of them as his targets didn't decline from the first of the season to the second half, but his production fell off big time. Plus, he would turn nearly invisible in the playoffs.

In my view, Buffalo had an amazing draft and filled many holes with some very talented players. So the team didn't draft the guy most Bills fans wanted at WR. How about we wait and see what this team looks like in preseason? Relax and have faith in the guy who found and drafted QB Josh Allen. 

The law of averages says that the Bills are due some good luck at the end of the season and in the playoffs, especially when it comes to injuries on defense.  Maybe this is the year they get some.

• Like (+1) 2

Honestly I just hope they have more fun and as a result the fans have more fun.  Last year was never really enjoyable for us fans and the players didn’t look happy either. McD is a tightwad but a younger roster should loosen them up a bit, as should ridding themselves of Diggs’ passive-aggressive behavior.  I am excited to see Allen step up and lead a younger team who will more easily take on his personality.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Considering we spent the final 2/3 of last season with a bona-fide #1 WR who could barely crack 30-50yds but commanded double digit targets and a #2 who routinely didn't even register a catch or target; I expect the variety in the passing game mixed with a legit rushing attack to be beneficial to the offense.

Considering we were down to 4th stringers and pulling people off the couch to come play defense during our playoff stint and without our All Pro LB for a majority of the season; I expect a  top 10 defense again and hope for improved durability. 

I'm not down on the team at all and I look forward to the youth infusion that is taking place on both sides.

I expect another division title and legit playoff run as well. 

25 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly I just hope they have more fun and as a result the fans have more fun.  Last year was never really enjoyable for us fans and the players didn’t look happy either. McD is a tightwad but a younger roster should loosen them up a bit, as should ridding themselves of Diggs’ passive-aggressive behavior.  I am excited to see Allen step up and lead a younger team who will more easily take on his personality.

Agree, last season was an unnecessarily joyless slog.   Chuck Pagano made some dead-fxcking-on-hilarious comment about McDermott's ####### being so tight on the sideline that all he needed was a needle and a chain and he could tow a rail car.    It should always be fun having prime Josh Allen.   But, two of the past 3 years they've found a way to fXck it up and the other year the Damar tragedy and Josh's untimely Britt drama threw a wet blanket on that one.    If you aren't going to win a Super Bowl at least give us a team/season fitting of Allen's talent.   If you are going to be the Chargers be the Air Coryell Chargers not Marty and Norv's Chargers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It means I think the team has a near 0% chance to win a Super Bowl, because they aren't constructed in a  way that has that goal in mind this season. Beyond that, they could win 7 games or 14 games in the regular season and I wouldn't be surprised.

I think the gap between good and bad teams is so significant right now with the way the rules work, that the Bills could still easily fool a lot of people into thinking that they're good for a long time until they start playing elite teams in January and February and get exposed yet again. The difference between he top 4-6 teams and where the Bills have been is just as significant as the jump between good and bad teams.

I expect the Bills to try to move bad contracts off the roster and acquire players on favorable deals that will help over the 5 year term. If they have a chance to get another Poyer/Hyde type player (when they were young) during the season, I expect that's the kind of deal they'll go for.

The Bills are in pretty good shape in 2025, with Rasul Douglas the only notable FA. He is a big one though, as if we don't retain him, it'll be a major hole to fill. We'll need to acquire a #1 DE and perhaps more high end depth there too. We'll likely need someone on the oline whether that's guard or center depending on what happens with McGovern this year. We'll also potentially need to consider Linebacker with a premium pick if Milano is moved and/or if Bernard doesn't return to form. We'll need another starting Safety between now and then. We'll have the capital to do it with 3 top 60 picks, but it will be critical we hit hard on them if 2025 is a legitimate run.

My money is on 2026 being the first legitimate year of contention. Hopefully Kelce is retired/Fallen off by then, Andy Reid is retired or something else has shaken the KC tree to the point where we can get past them once.

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Nothing changes with expectations. I expect the Bills to compete for and win the AFCE. I expect them to be one of the final 4 teams in the AFC competing for the Super Bowl. What happens after this season into next off-season depends on the results of this year. 

I kinda feel bad for some of the fans who gave negative emojis to this.  

This is 100% my expectation.  It likely will be as long as Allen is QB for the Bills - I would expect fans of KC and Cincy to feel the same.  Not really anyone else on a year-by-year - maybe Houston if Stroud doesn't have a sophomore slump.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Am I the only one who thinks the derogatory name calling is childish? 

EDIT: It was not meant just for you, @drummernut74, it’s pretty common. I wasn’t trying to single you out, but sorry if it felt that way. 

Augie, I'm with you 100%.  I've called it out in other threads and am happy to see you call it out here.  

IMHO, the Bills Mafia should be a Band of Brothers who support each other and support the team.  Of course, that doesn't mean we respond to everything with Pollyanna happy talk.  We're going to be upset when players, coaches, personnel guys, and refs make mistakes.  And we'll argue with other fans with different opinions.   But - hopefully - all this remains respectful.  

There's enough sh*t coming our way as it is (e.g. old age, disease, IRS notices, reality tv, death).  We don't need to sh*t on each other, too.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Largely agree. 

1. 10-7 is my expectation as well. Likely a WC, but should compete for AFCE title. 

2. Miller is gone next offseason for sure. He will be cut with a post 6/1 designation. Knox has partial guarantees for his salary in 2025 so I think he stays, but that’s probably it for him. 

3. Draft and/or FA has to bring help to the team DE1 is job 1. WR is a huge need as well. 

4. Allen’s contract rework this offseason was to get him to next season. He’s going to get an extension and a raise next offseason. 

#1WR is a HUGE need next year ? Maybe we should give  Colman a chance to put  on his Jersey before making that decision ?

10 minutes ago, Putin said:

#1WR is a HUGE need next year ? Maybe we should give  Colman a chance to put  on his Jersey before making that decision ?

Yeah. Huge. Even if you want to bank on Coleman hitting big and Shakir continuing to improve, we will still want to upgrade (or at least find a long term successor for) Samuel. As much as I like Coleman the person I’m not a fan of Coleman the player, so I personally wouldn’t bank on him hitting. But I get your point. Every projected need for next season is subject to change. This is not different. I genuinely hope he surprises me and kills it. 

It's like when a person is transitioning. They're making changes and trying to look like someone else. They'll eventually complete the transition and look the way they want, but there's always that period where they look super weird and you're not sure exactly where it's going.

Have faith.

16682117600905.jpg

1 hour ago, Success said:

I kinda feel bad for some of the fans who gave negative emojis to this.  

This is 100% my expectation.  It likely will be as long as Allen is QB for the Bills - I would expect fans of KC and Cincy to feel the same.  Not really anyone else on a year-by-year - maybe Houston if Stroud doesn't have a sophomore slump.

Honestly, the people that gave the negative emoji made me feel like I was validated a bit. Those guys are negative about 90% of the time so if they don't like something bI said, normally I find Im on the right track.😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks. The only thing with that is...

Is he a head case? Did thing get bad with the Saints in part because he himself is difficult on some way? 

I genuinely don't know the answer, I'm just asking because it seems like the Bills are very purposefully trying to reset their locker room a little bit. They avoided any kind of problem children in free agency or the draft and went heavy on the "leaders and choir boys". After the Diggs situation the past couple years, I wonder if they'd want to be adding anyone who has even a whiff of being difficult or acting like a prima donna at all.

He wasn’t, until he was. But just like Diggs, it’s not crazy to think he’ll be on his best behavior on a one year deal with a new team.