Bills pick up Groot's 5th year option

Virgil

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Pay Me GIF

I really want to see him blow up this year into a 10+ sack guy.

Thats one of those movies  that you can watch more once , 

Edited by Putin
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not mad. Not surprised. I like the guy really.

But, I can't be the only one who thinks his career thus far has been average at best.

He's been a better version of Epenesa, which BTW isn't exactly high praise. 

The #30 overall is a better version than the #54 overall selection, but not as good as the guys selected in the Top 10.

shocked pikachu face

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

54 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The #30 overall is a better version than the #54 overall selection, but not as good as the guys selected in the Top 10.

shocked pikachu face

Cute, but can you at least agree he hasn't developed into what we all would've hoped?

Plus your logic stinks. TJ Watt #30, Chris Jones #37, Trey Hendrickson #103. All top pass rushers drafted at 30 or later. 

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not mad. Not surprised. I like the guy really.

But, I can't be the only one who thinks his career thus far has been average at best.

He's been a better version of Epenesa, which BTW isn't exactly high praise. 

I'd say he's an elite run defender. That's not the sexy part of DE play that get one a huge contract. But it's an important part of playing the position. That said, he does need to work on his pass rush.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's exactly what I expected at where we drafted him in the first.  It's the Basham pick that still infuriates me.  They double down on DE but I guess WR is off limits.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Well, they LOVED Jerry Hughes and he was the same thing. 5 sacks a year and they treated him like he was a Saint. He was the most overrated player here through his tenure

Boy! Let me tell you, you are really showing off your knowledge of football now…..

You should be a HC or something…

Groot gets a lot of pressures and is pretty solid against the run. I know a lot of people wanna see him blow it up for 10 or 12 sacks a year but keep in mind he's in a defense that relies heavily on a rotation along the DL. So while he's a regular starter, he's averaged about 55% of the snaps thru his career. He's also much better off the left side but that's where they've lined up Von and Floyd. With Floyd gone and Von looking at a more reduced role at this stage of his career, that should open things up for Groot to line up on the left a lot more this season. I hope he balls out. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Cute, but can you at least agree he hasn't developed into what we all would've hoped?

Not even trying to be cute or sarcastic or call you out individually. Just giving some perspective on expectations.

I think we all agree we'd love every pick to be a superstar, especially our 1st rounders. And Beane needs to start hitting more homeruns than singles and doubles.

But being good and consistently picking in the 25-30 range is a much different life than picking in the 7-12 range like we were all used to for so many years.

The Edge guys from 2021:

#12 - Micah Parsons

#18 - Jaelan Phillips

#21 - Kwity Paye

#28 - Payton Turner

#30 - Greg Rousseau

#31 - Odafe Oweh

#32 - Joe Tryon-Shoyinka

Outside of Micah Parsons, I'd argue Groot is the best of that bunch. And even AJE could compete for a spot at the top of that group.

Groot is a solid starter that is still improving. Hopefully that keeps going. AND we wont have to pay him the contract Parsons is about to get.

• Like (+1) 6

25 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I know a lot of people wanna see him blow it up for 10 or 12 sacks a year but keep in mind he's in a defense that relies heavily on a rotation along the DL.

There's always an excuse for the DL around here. They're just not good enough, despite there being a million of them

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not even trying to be cute or sarcastic or call you out individually. Just giving some perspective on expectations.

I think we all agree we'd love every pick to be a superstar, especially our 1st rounders. And Beane needs to start hitting more homeruns than singles and doubles.

But being good and consistently picking in the 25-30 range is a much different life than picking in the 7-12 range like we were all used to for so many years.

The Edge guys from 2021:

#12 - Micah Parsons

#18 - Jaelan Phillips

#21 - Kwity Paye

#28 - Payton Turner

#30 - Greg Rousseau

#31 - Odafe Oweh

#32 - Joe Tryon-Shoyinka

Outside of Micah Parsons, I'd argue Groot is the best of that bunch. And even AJE could compete for a spot at the top of that group.

Groot is a solid starter that is still improving. Hopefully that keeps going. AND we wont have to pay him the contract Parsons is about to get.

Valid and appreciated. 👍

• Like (+1) 2

The fact they made this move today, does anyone else think this means if they had landed a certain Edge prospect early in this year’s draft, they may not have actually picked up the 5th year option?  I know the deadline is 5/2, but seems like they were potentially not going to pick up depending on the draft?

His PFF rating is 87.1 for 2023.  Makes him #13 on their list

Rousseau ranked 10th in run-defense grade at the position, recording 19 stops at a rate of 8.7%. He led the Bills in pressure rate, and his pressure totals have gradually increased in each of his three NFL seasons.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He's exactly what I expected at where we drafted him in the first.  It's the Basham pick that still infuriates me.  They double down on DE but I guess WR is off limits.

That pick also bothers me a lot.  Especially when Creed Humphrey was available.   Sometimes I think Beane only outsmarts himself. 

The Cody Ford over DK is right up there too. 

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's all this is, like Edmunds.  Give him an extra year to see if he can ever get to 10 sacks. If not, wave goodbye. I've been somewhat underwhelmed with Grootseau.

He certainly hasn’t been a star.  But he plays hard and makes plays.  How high his ceiling is at this point is the question.  Let’s hope he takes his game to at least very good.  We will have 2 years to find out.