Beane literally added a promising draft prospect at every level on both sides of the ball

I think Beane is not getting enough props for adding a piece to every single group on both sides of the ball. This is an infusion of youth everywhere on the roster.

We are now a younger team that has good depth pretty much everywhere.

We may need a gamechanger or two, but now at least you reloaded the roster with promising young players, and next season we will have cap space and even better draft capital to make a power move or two should we have a glaring need.

I like the approach, and we'll see how good McDermott and his staff really are given the makeup of the roster

• Like (+1) 23
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 12
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Many fans, esp on here, want a big name, splash, flash whatever gets ESPN and any other talking heads liking us. And they also have a bad habit every offseason getting a player or three stuck in their heads and wont budge off of them no matter what, and that happened this year.

The flavor of this offseason was an X WR, or a guy with size and speed to "take the top off a defense". KC hasn't had  one since they traded Hill and still won a couple superbowls. SF has two really good WR's and a great RB and good TE, but still not the guy who purely takes the top off per say, and kick butt.  Detroit just gave a huge contract to a guy who is considered the best all around WR right now. His 40 time? 4.61.

Beane was smart, KC was going to get Worthy no matter what and he got them to give us a 3rd instead of making a pick and them getting him anyway.  Look Beane is far from perfect, and who knows how these guys work out, but we are a better team today than last Thursday morning, I dont care what others say, its the truth.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Not for nothing, but just about every draft pick in history was “promising” at one point in time, lol. Can’t say this lot is any more or less so in that regard, but I’ll give you that he definitely spread the love to multiple positions of need. 

19 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

We may need a gamechanger or two, 

See but that’s kinda the song that remains the same isn’t it? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

Not for nothing, but just about every draft pick in history was “promising” at one point in time, lol. Can’t say this lot is any more or less so in that regard, but I’ll give you that he definitely spread the love to multiple positions of need. 

See but that’s kinda the song that remains the same isn’t it? 

It would've not only cost us this years draft, but also next years to go and get one of the big three at WR

The correct play was to then shift to reloading the roster and use the cap space and even better draft capital next season to go and get that big time player that can be a game changer. 

Anyone who thinks we should have sold the farm for one of the top three would be groaning when the team has no young talent or depth once they falter yet again in the playoffs. We had a top WR and it didn't get us anything but playoff disappointment. You need a complete team with depth along with some playmakers to truly contend. 

I think the plan is to retool this season, and then go all in in 2025 again with a big time addition on offense and defense. With a hopefully strong draft class this season, we will be in a prime spot to challenge again with another superbowl window wide open.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

It would've not only cost us this years draft, but also next years to go and get one of the big three at WR

The correct play was to then shift to reloading the roster and use the cap space and even better draft capital next season to go and get that big time player that can be a game changer. 

Anyone who thinks we should have sold the farm for one of the top three would be groaning when the team has no young talent or depth once they falter yet again in the playoffs. We had a top WR and it didn't get us anything but playoff disappointment. You need a complete team with depth along with some playmakers to truly contend. 

I think the plan is to retool this season, and then go all in in 2025 again with a big time addition on offense and defense. With a hopefully strong draft class this season, we will be in a prime spot to challenge again with another superbowl window wide open.

Exactly!  Couldn't have said it any better.  The people that are disappointed he didn't swing for the fences and trade up and make a big splash are the same people who think this team was contending for a Super Bowl this year.  It was always going to be a 2 year re-tooling process and I think he did an excellent job plugging in the holes with this draft.  I can see him making more of a splash move next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

I think Beane is not getting enough props for adding a piece to every single group on both sides of the ball. This is an infusion of youth everywhere on the roster.

We are now a younger team that has good depth pretty much everywhere.

We may need a gamechanger or two, but now at least you reloaded the roster with promising young players, and next season we will have cap space and even better draft capital to make a power move or two should we have a glaring need.

I like the approach, and we'll see how good McDermott and his staff really are given the makeup of the roster

f23ba0be00e71b5d88731977b3ca4905d2-13-ev

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

So much better than drafting ominous players

27 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Exactly!  Couldn't have said it any better.  The people that are disappointed he didn't swing for the fences and trade up and make a big splash are the same people who think this team was contending for a Super Bowl this year.  It was always going to be a 2 year re-tooling process and I think he did an excellent job plugging in the holes with this draft.  I can see him making more of a splash move next year. 

We are in a 2 year re-tooling process because of how bad the 2022 off-season was

• Agree 4

If 5 members of this year's draft class make the roster, that's 5 cost-controlled contracts for 4 years. With the draft capital for 2025, Beane can continue to make the roster younger and stronger. I know people are tired of hearing "wait til next year," but the reload is off to a great start.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

So much better than drafting ominous players

We are in a 2 year re-tooling process because of how bad the 2022 off-season was

Adding Von Miller and extending Diggs proved to be two enormous mistakes. Can throw Knox in there too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

This is obviously a rebuild and reset year. I’m not saying we should have swung for the fences, but did we add the right prospects to have the strongest chance at top-shelf production? That remains to be seen.

This was a very McBeane draft, and to this point they’ve been great at adding JAG starters and tier 2 or tier 3 guys. Really the only truly elite player they’ve drafted is Allen. (It’s debatable but Tre might have been that guy too, if injuries didn’t derail his trajectory). 

If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll probably get what you’ve always got. I like this draft myself - in theory.

But I’ve liked a lot of McBeane drafts in theory and ended up very underwhelmed with the results. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Adding Von Miller and extending Diggs proved to be two enormous mistakes. Can throw Knox in there too.

Don't forget about the OJ Howard & Staffold signings too.

• Eyeroll 1

Other than not personally loving Coleman as a prospect, and even that I am coming around on, and wishing we double dipped at WR, I really like the rest of this draft.

Seems like, as this post indicates, we got good value at so many positions of need, including a solid back-up HB, OL depth (maybe even starting C), DL depth, and LB/ST depth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There goes the myth that Beane only drafts defensive players.

The truth about the draft is that teams are looking for two things.  Broadly speaking teams are looking for eventual starters early and later they are looking for cheap roster depth.  If a late pick becomes a starter (like Milano, Benford or Shakir) then all the better; just don't expect it.

This year's draft can be broken down even further

Picks 1 - 2 - starters sooner than later.  Coleman starts day 1 and Bishop easily pushes for immediate PT and maybe beats out Edwards for a starting job.

Picks 3 - 4 - Rotational players - Carter and Davis will get snaps this season.  Davis could win the RB2 job.

Pick 5 - Van Pran is an interesting case.  Most prognosticators had him as a top 100 pick, yet we got him at 141.  At worst he is depth this season, but he might be this class' Milano.  I'm admittedly a little biased here, but he could win the starting C job in camp, and be Josh's C for the next decade.  He reminds me of a better David Andrews, who was a UDFA out of Georgia with similar experience and leadership and he won the starters job in NE. Andrews has been the starter since 2015.

Picks 6, 7 & 9 - D depth with upside.  A Butkus Award finalist, the FBS leader in sacks and a small fast skilled cover corner.  These are high motor guys who will fight for a roster spot, contribute on special teams and hopefully develop into rotational depth.

Picks 8 & 10 - O Line projects.  Both likely start on the practice squad and hang around for a few years to see if they develop (aka Doyle).  Best case one becomes the next Wyatt Teller.

If I had to guess on the future of this class, we get 3 starters (Coleman, Bishop and Van Pran), 2 guys that get a second contract and make an impact (Carter and Solomon), 1 guy who contributes but is allowed to walk when his contract ends (Davis), 1 guy who gets a chance at being the kick returner (Hardy) and 3 guys who make little to no impact.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, McBean said:

f23ba0be00e71b5d88731977b3ca4905d2-13-ev

I'm no homer...trust me on that. I have been saying McDermott is not the answer for years.

I simply believe that Beane did a fantastic job in this draft by getting a player pretty much everywhere to help all positions.

• Like (+1) 1