Beane on WR "We worked out a guy today we are going to end up signing"

7 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just based off production, give me Tyler Boyd: 1000+ yards in 2018 & 2019, 800+ yards in 2020 & 2021, 762 in 2022, and 667 in 2023. Seems a solid floor to me even if he is not the typical burner that would really balance out our WR room.

Boys is in the regression phase of his career. Could be a one season fill in but I'd pass.

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, this is the saddest thread on here in a while. There are people on here that think this WR room is good. We are now suggesting ways to make it even better!! People are talking about adding (in no particular order): Chase Claypool, Kenny Golladay, washed Michael Thomas, washed OBJ, and washed Allen Robinson.

What are we doing here? The Bills needed to upgrade the WR room. They needed 2 boundary receivers at the top of the depth chart. They added one guy that was the most polarizing WR prospect, in arguably the greatest WR draft ever. That’s a massive failure. You aren’t going to dig yourself out by adding Kenny Golladay. As it stands the Bills have the worst WR group in the NFL. The TEs are good and the backs can catch but the WRs are last IMO.

I agree with everything you said.  However I don’t want to underestimate Khalil shakir and dalton kincaid.  If both continue to improve and Curtis Samuel with josh allen clicks, the wr room may not be as bleak as we think.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I think udfa

So a guy flew to Buffalo and worked out for one specific team instead of staying home hoping to actually get drafted…….and…….Beane didn’t want this guy bad enough to draft him but he DID want him bad enough to  violate all NFL rules by flying him in and working him out DURING the draft which would likely cost the team a high pick next year and void any signing?  That’s an odd series of choices by both Beane and the mystery player.  He must be really good.  Sidd Finch?  Taro Tsujimoto?  Jay Clocker?

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, this is the saddest thread on here in a while. There are people on here that think this WR room is good. We are now suggesting ways to make it even better!! People are talking about adding (in no particular order): Chase Claypool, Kenny Golladay, washed Michael Thomas, washed OBJ, and washed Allen Robinson.

What are we doing here? The Bills needed to upgrade the WR room. They needed 2 boundary receivers at the top of the depth chart. They added one guy that was the most polarizing WR prospect, in arguably the greatest WR draft ever. That’s a massive failure. You aren’t going to dig yourself out by adding Kenny Golladay. As it stands the Bills have the worst WR group in the NFL. The TEs are good and the backs can catch but the WRs are last IMO.

Forget it Jake, it’s TBD.

everyone knows if I did a mock draft 3 days ago and only walked away with Coleman in the second, everyone here would absolutely hate it.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, <bills4life> said:

I agree with everything you said.  However I don’t want to underestimate Khalil shakir and dalton kincaid.  If both continue to improve and Curtis Samuel with josh allen clicks, the wr room may not be as bleak as we think.

I think all 3 of those guys can play. I just think that all 3 of them are being forced into roles that they aren’t capable of (or yet in Kincaid’s case). Kincaid has a chance to be one of the best TEs in football. I don’t think that he should be the top receiving option on a Super Bowl contender at this point in his career. Samuel is a dynamic player with the ball in his hands. He has Deebo qualities. He’s meant to be a change of pace guy not a boundary receiver with volume. Shakir was very good late last year out. He’s versatile and can also run after the catch. I’m just not sure that effectiveness will translate with 100+ targets and defenses focusing on him. They are all good and would be even better with the right people above them on the depth chart (or at least alongside of them).

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

To be clear I didn’t say I wanted Kenny Golladay, just that if their making a vet WR work out on Day 3 of the draft it is unlikely to be someone like Boyd etc and more likely to be a guy that has been out of the league a bit. 

the only reason I brought up Golladay was he was the first ones to come to mind. I also was thinking Scotty Miller as an example as well etc 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

To be clear I didn’t say I wanted Kenny Golladay, just that if their making a vet WR work out on Day 3 of the draft it is unlikely to be someone like Boyd etc and more likely to be a guy that has been out of the league a bit. 

the only reason I brought up Golladay was he was the first ones to come to mind. I also was thinking Scotty Miller as an example as well etc 

I actually like Scotty Miller some. He would be fine to compete for the 6th roster spot. He offers some traits that I like. The problem is, he will be a 4 here. All of the guys are pushed 2 spots up the depth chart because we are missing the top of it.

The point wasn’t necessarily about a particular guy. It was about “if you are planning on _____ to help you, your room stinks.” They’re going to have to make a trade June 1 because they can’t go into the season with this group. It’s just not good enough or dynamic enough. They’re way too easy to defend. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think all 3 of those guys can play. I just think that all 3 of them are being forced into roles that they aren’t capable of (or yet in Kincaid’s case). Kincaid has a chance to be one of the best TEs in football. I don’t think that he should be the top receiving option on a Super Bowl contender at this point in his career. Samuel is a dynamic player with the ball in his hands. He has Deebo qualities. He’s meant to be a change of pace guy not a boundary receiver with volume. Shakir was very good late last year out. He’s versatile and can also run after the catch. I’m just not sure that effectiveness will translate with 100+ targets and defenses focusing on him. They are all good and would be even better with the right people above them on the depth chart (or at least alongside of them).

And the Bills had a first round pick and couldn’t get Odunze, Harrison OR Nabers.  Idiots.  Even after that stupidity they could find a rookie that could handle the load you deem impossible for 2nd year Kincaid.  Idiots.  Plus the guy they picked was not desired as much as a guy that looks just like Cooper Cupp.  I mean…..Cooper Cupp and he looks just like him.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I actually like Scotty Miller some. He would be fine to compete for the 6th roster spot. He offers some traits that I like. The problem is, he will be a 4 here. All of the guys are pushed 2 spots up the depth chart because we are missing the top of it.

The point wasn’t necessarily about a particular guy. It was about “if you are planning on _____ to help you, your room stinks.” They’re going to have to make a trade June 1 because they can’t go into the season with this group. It’s just not good enough or dynamic enough. They’re way too easy to defend. 

Our only chance is honestly for Khalil Shakir to turn into Antonio Brown

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Since Beane has idenfited 2024 as a "transition" year, all of the decisions need to be made in that context.  Signing a Vet WR on a one-year deal does not fit the context of "transition year" at all. 

I think his comment referred to the UDFA they signed Xavier Johnson Jr.

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Since Beane has idenfited 2024 as a "transition" year, all of the decisions need to be made in that context.  Signing a Vet WR on a one-year deal does not fit the context of "transition year" at all. 

So they were working out a guy during the draft?  And this guy flew to Buffalo and ignored any offers from 31 other teams?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The signing of Xavier Johnson Jr was my first thought as well

5 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

The signing of Xavier Johnson Jr was my first thought as well

He said they worked him out today and are going to sign him. 

Do guys who think they’re going undrafted work out for teams while the Draft is going on?

Genuinely asking.. I don’t know. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He said they worked him out today and are going to sign him. 

Do guys who think they’re going undrafted work out for teams while the Draft is going on?

Genuinely asking.. I don’t know. 

No they don’t know what their talking about 

• Eyeroll 1