Beane on WR "We worked out a guy today we are going to end up signing"

During his end of draft press conference Beane mentioned they worked out a WR today they will end up signing.  Regardless of them drafting a wideout to play the boundary I've fully expected the Bills to bring in another boundary WR post draft.  So who is it?  Given the Brady connections I've expected OBJ or Michael Thomas.   Any other thoughts on who it may be?

Edited by thenorthremembers

Sadly, I think it’ll be Michael Gallup

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

DJ Chark. Speed with boundary experience. Former Panther FWIW as well ..lol

In all seriousness, Chark isn't a star but he makes a lot of sense. 

Would be a good signing 

• Agree 2

Any line on that being him?

Because as a low cost "see what he's got in the tank" I can think of worse.

6'3, 200 lbs, 4.3 speed, special teams experience and a 1000 yard season in 2019.

He's had a stretch of some injuries, but has had abysmal luck with teams. The last three years have been, in order

Urban Meyer Jags

Detroit right as they started getting consistency

The 2023 Panthers

And he still managed 500 yard seasons the last two years. It's worth seeing if there is some gas in the tank

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I actually wanted Chark last year, he’s at least an NFL WR

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

During his end of draft press conference Beane mentioned they worked out a WR today they will end up signing.  Regardless of them drafting a wideout to play the boundary I've fully expected the Bills to bring in another boundary WR post draft.  So who is it?  Given the Brady connections I've expected OBJ or Michael Thomas.   Any other thoughts on who it may be?

Was he talking vet WR or UFA?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Was he talking vet WR or UFA?

The draft was still live when Beane made that comment so he's referring to a veteran WR.

• Disagree 1

41 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Any line on that being him?

Because as a low cost "see what he's got in the tank" I can think of worse.

6'3, 200 lbs, 4.3 speed, special teams experience and a 1000 yard season in 2019.

He's had a stretch of some injuries, but has had abysmal luck with teams. The last three years have been, in order

Urban Meyer Jags

Detroit right as they started getting consistency

The 2023 Panthers

And he still managed 500 yard seasons the last two years. It's worth seeing if there is some gas in the tank

And with Detroit, he had a decent QB throwing to him in Goff, but he was injured and placed on IR, only played 11 games.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dunno, but just to temper expectations I would think any signings would take place after May 1 - or are we 100% out of the comp pick business anyway this season?  I would think Gabe Davis and Tyrell Dodson would help us get something....

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno, but just to temper expectations I would think any signings would take place after May 1 - or are we 100% out of the comp pick business anyway this season?  I would think Gabe Davis and Tyrell Dodson would help us get something....

I think Gabe gets us a 4th, so you’re probably right, any announcement would be May 1. 

52 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just based off production, give me Tyler Boyd: 1000+ yards in 2018 & 2019, 800+ yards in 2020 & 2021, 762 in 2022, and 667 in 2023. Seems a solid floor to me even if he is not the typical burner that would really balance out our WR room.

Yes, Boyd would make the receiver room look a lot better.  He was a starting outside WR before they drafted Higgins.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m trying to think of guys they’d actually make work out. 

They wouldn’t make Boyd and Chark work out imo. What about an off the radar guy like Kenny Golladay? Out of the league last year still only 30 but def a guy they’d make workout

Im thinking it’s a guy more a long those lines 

2 minutes ago, TOboy said:

I think Gabe gets us a 4th, so you’re probably right, any announcement would be May 1. 

TBH I'm totally lost.  I feel like it's the NFL's equivalent of ESPN's "total QBR", something that requires so much code no ordinary human can understand it.

I want a formula I can sit down with a pencil and paper and a big-button calculator and grind through

I can't even figure out what the floor is for a qualifying contract.  

I'll stop griping now

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Anyway, we lost Gabe Davis, who signed for $13M AAV

We lost Leonard Floyd, who signed for $10M AAV

We signed Curtis Samuel, who signed for 3 yr, $24M or $8M AAV but evidently he doesn't count?

Everybody else we lost or signed is apparently too small potatoes.  

So it seems to indicate a 4th/5th for Gabe and a 5th/6th for Floyd?