Rd 5, Pick 141: C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger

Everything I hear at about this kid, screams to me starting center. If he's got the head for it, it's a no brainer. If memory serves me correct, Connor can play center, but some of those snaps were off(where this kid excels BTW). Edwards while a stating caliber guard is much better w/ limited snaps as the 6th. I would love to see a Torrence like rise from this kid, I can see it happening...P.S. IF Coleman can be that Carmichael/Monk guy...Not hating this class at all, even tho no double dip(I wanted Franklin too, but growing to love this Coleman kid).

Edited by Craig Oi
  • Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Any thoughts on why this guy lasted till the 5th?  Strong Center with 2 national championships.  Let's face it Georgia really doesn't have many players fly under the radar.

Theory is that he is center only with no positional flexibility.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Our OLine coach apparently has been talking to Van Pran and believes he can cross train him to also be an effective guard.  

The reason he fell to the 5th was "short arm" BS.  This kid was a a 3 year starter, team captain and anchor for a line on a team that won 2 national championships and only lost 2 games while Van Pran was a starter.  He is very smart and durable.  He allowed only 1 sack in 1300 pass plays during his career at UGA.  This may sound silly, but he is known as the best shotgun snapper in this draft class.  Seems like an important skill set in today's pass happy NFL.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Our OLine coach apparently has been talking to Van Pran and believes he can cross train him to also be an effective guard.  

The reason he fell to the 5th was "short arm" BS.  This kid was a a 3 year starter, team captain and anchor for a line on a team that won 2 national championships and only lost 2 games while Van Pran was a starter.  He is very smart and durable.  He allowed only 1 sack in 1300 pass plays during his career at UGA.  This may sound silly, but he is known as the best shotgun snapper in this draft class.  Seems like an important skill set in today's pass happy NFL.

Josh is best under center though, especially in play action.

27 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Josh is best under center though, especially in play action.

in 2022, (the last season I could find stats on), NFL offenses lined up in the Shotgun 66% of the time.  If someone has a Bills specific number please post it, but I'd bet it is close to the league number.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Arm length or lack thereof might act to remove any complication even if Kromer sees him as a possible OG

I was listening to a podcast and they said short arms are actually better for a center, so you can get the snap done then get your arms in place quicker.  The opposite of tackle, where long arms are a requirement.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

My first thought on the position flexibility issue was how hard can it be to go from center to guard? That should be fairly easy. Learning to be a center is far more difficult. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Any thoughts on why this guy lasted till the 5th?  Strong Center with 2 national championships.  Let's face it Georgia really doesn't have many players fly under the radar.

He's a short armed center only ... And he sometimes uses bad technique to try and make up for his short arms 

Can improve his core strength 

he has very little chance of beating out a grown professional starter in mcgovern this year .. who has starting NFL experience... And is now one of the bigger stronger centers in the league

You groom him for a year or two while bulking him up and work on his technique

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2024 at 6:18 PM, HerdMentality said:

Weirdly, the draft all comes down to this guy. 

Not far fetched honestly

Move McGovern back to Left guard in a year

12 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I'll take it ! Centers should NEVER move from being the Capitan of the O line.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's a short armed center only ... And he sometimes uses bad technique to try and make up for his short arms 

Can improve his core strength 

he has very little chance of beating out a grown professional starter in mcgovern this year .. who has starting NFL experience... And is now one of the bigger stronger centers in the league

You groom him for a year or two while bulking him up and work on his technique

Yep !

Jason Kelce was 280 when he came into the league. At just shy of 300, I see why people mock him solely as a Center. Mitch Morse wasn’t all that heavier. I am not to concerned about his size. With a monster of Torrence and McGovern on either side, I would imagine he’d be fine up front in the ground game. Especially considering how much we like to move our C, his athleticism is huge. My biggest concern would be getting caught in 1v1 match ups in pass pro with some of the bigger, more explosive DTs in the league. Can he hold up? 

At the end of the day, I wouldn’t get caught up in arm length or how heavy he is. If the guy can hang (years as a starter in SEC and national champs should suggest this) then he should play. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 3

Page 6 of this thread has been 🔥from you all. Reasonable discussion of his potential for IOL position flex or not. Experience and performance. Short arms. Athleticism. Interesting size/weight comps to other perceived smallish centers. Funny how well we keep things objective on a day three OC versus a day two WR. Makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

No idea why that’s an issue. If the Bills got the best pure center and pure guard in the draft in back to back years that’s quite a haul.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2