Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Rounds 4-7 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

SDS

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I do a full 7 round mock draft, no I do not research all of them lol but my record for getting a pick right is # 155 which was Darrell Luter Jr.  I just do it for fun mostly to see how late I can get a guy right. It was painful this year though I will admit.

Ah you meant in terms of lateness of correct pick. I thought you meant in terms of number of correct matches. Still I think attempting an entire 7 round mock is brave!

2 minutes ago, MPT said:

Holy hell there are 700,000 attendees at the draft? That's bonkers. Never would have guessed that many.

My friend’s company does the live event production - they are gonna be beat after this one! 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

anyone is available for the right price

I’d offer a 2025 2 + 4  

I'd hope it would be lessor draft picks, but if that is what it took, I'd do it.

I like our WR room, but fully expect a veteran to be added via trade or FA.  A draft pick in the 5th could be very good, but not an immediate impact.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I guess Beane's understanding of what it means to make the WR room more explosive doesn't square with common views.

I never said I thought a trade for Aiyuk was likely. We need that kind of receiver, though.

hey Doc. What I m reading is this current season may be a wash because we didn't pick an impact right away WR? Someone to stretch the field type guy. 

The lack of that one aspect is going to hobble our offense and make them fall from post season consideration?

I don't want to buy that. It reads way too pessimistic a take for me to make at this juncture. *shrugs*  

• Agree 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Ah you meant in terms of lateness of correct pick. I thought you meant in terms of number of correct matches. Still I think attempting an entire 7 round mock is brave!

Yea, I mean if we're talking matches uh 1 would be the answer in round 5 lol. It is rough I'm not gonna lie.

11 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Benford was a 6th rounder.   Milano a 5th.   You never know what else he can find.  

Yeah maybe. The fact we traded out of 144 is a bit of a tell about what we think of the rest. The trade was good value but it's not like we can't use more talent this year.

My larger point was just that I'm not sure we got the best player with our picks due to heavy emphasis on need this year, and maybe this was the year we had to do that. Next year we'll be able to go BPA with more high value picks and the cupboard replenished a bit.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think to an extent that is right. Everything they have done this offseason suggests they have taken a year off of the going all in on winning a championship to do a 2 year re-load.

Looks like it, and I think it is a good idea.

How amazing would be if we somehow still managed to win a SB in 2024, which is always possible with JA.

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

The only way I forgive Beane for this awful job avoiding taking WRs is if he is about to get Aiyuk and that’s the reason 

It really is fascinating. We started picking back up/rotational players in rd 3, and it could be argued WR is our thinnest position on the team. It really puts a lot of pressure on Coleman to be our starting X with his backup being Mack Hollins. We kind of missed out on that tier 2 of X’s in Baker and Walker. I expect we will wind up with a Tier 3 guy like Rice, Flournoy, Means, Johnson at some point but who knows. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

This is personally my favorite draft since getting the wrong Josh.

Always a fan of trading back

Coleman is exactly the type of WR Josh has needed. A guy who goes up and gets contested balls bc we all know Josh dgaf about throwing into coverage and giving his guys a chance to go make a play, now he has a perfect compliment for that.

What’s not to like about Bishop? I expect him to be a starting Safety 1/4 of the way thru the season. Has all the intangibles.

Free third round pick from moving down and still getting the WR Josh needs instead of John Ross 2.0- starting caliber day 1 DT in Carter

4th- an absolute beast in Ray Davis, the perfect compliment to Jimbo.

5th round so far- Potential starting C, immediate depth at the spot if nothing else, and gains a 4th in next years deeper draft class.

No idea how you find room to complain about this draft between the quality of players, plus the way Beane worked the board and added picks to both this years class and next...

Quality is a subjective word.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

This is personally my favorite draft since getting the wrong Josh.

Always a fan of trading back

Coleman is exactly the type of WR Josh has needed. A guy who goes up and gets contested balls bc we all know Josh dgaf about throwing into coverage and giving his guys a chance to go make a play, now he has a perfect compliment for that.

What’s not to like about Bishop? I expect him to be a starting Safety 1/4 of the way thru the season. Has all the intangibles.

Free third round pick from moving down and still getting the WR Josh needs instead of John Ross 2.0- starting caliber day 1 DT in Carter

4th- an absolute beast in Ray Davis, the perfect compliment to Jimbo.

5th round so far- Potential starting C, immediate depth at the spot if nothing else, and gains a 4th in next years deeper draft class.

No idea how you find room to complain about this draft between the quality of players, plus the way Beane worked the board and added picks to both this years class and next...

Agreed......this has been an excellent draft for us so far and it's a shame that more fans can't see that.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Capco said:

I think we have the 2nd most wins in the NFL over what, the last 4 years?

I have a feeling that next year's draft is going to be a special one because of good moves made this year.  We are getting younger with solid talent, and will continue to do so while Allen is in his prime.

Haven't made it out of the divisional round with the 2nd best QB in the NFL. 

If that was the case for any other team you would be asking why they are sticking with their GM and HC? At least Cinci and SF have SB appearance to show for it.

Just now, LEBills said:

It really is fascinating. We started picking back up/rotational players in rd 3, and it could be argued WR is our thinnest position on the team. It really puts a lot of pressure on Coleman to be our starting X with his backup being Mack Hollins. We kind of missed out on that tier 2 of X’s in Baker and Walker. I expect we will wind up with a Tier 3 guy like Rice, Flournoy, Means, Johnson at some point but who knows. 

Done hoping for additional WR help in this draft. 

What a weird draft. 

Not bad.. just weird. 

Everything we’re doing makes complete sense.  We’ve added 3 potential starters at WR, S and C, along with a rotational DT and RB.  

Just very business like.  Nothing aggressive.  No real gambles.  Not much boom or bust.. just good players at positions of need, yet nothing that really moves the needle when it comes to Josh trying to slay Mahomes, while fighting off other teams like HOU, NYJ and BAL. 

• Like (+1) 4