Rd 3, Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

SDS

24 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I shared some pro-Coleman ideation as the process carried on, especially following his combine gauntlet display. 

He started as a total red flag for me, given his jump ball proficiency. But the deeper I looked, the more I appreciated his skill and athleticism. He looks on tape like a long-striding, speed-gatherer...but also with short-area agility. Won't be a separation-demon who wins on footwork and technique, but will still probably win enough to make plays. I think the Bills offense under Brady will be perfect for him, with an assortment of now-routes and screens and slants and digs and nines...hopefully nothing too complicated or variably contingent on defensive alignments/coverages post-snap. 

Jordan Travis is NOTHING like Josh Allen. Travis at times was late with the throw. Off target on some of the throws too. I love the T.O. comparison a poster used in another thread. I was thinking more Eric Moulds like

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Man if gms are getting fired for not drafting Troy Franklin who is left? 

“OMG Beane is so dumb for passing on this player that 30 other GMs also passed on.” Rinse and repeat every year with these clowns.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

On reflection I don't mind this pick so much. The one that still really bothers me is Cole Bishop, and that pick I think makes the DeWayne Carter pick look worse by association. Drafting a safety in the 2nd round was just not smart resource management, it undermines some of the shrewdness that Beane has shown this offseason, and it contributes to a general feeling that the Bills have neglected to really invest in their franchise QB.

A bunch of solid OL came off the board right after that pick, including one taken by our main rival. That is where the value lied at that spot in the draft. Safeties are almost as devalued as RBs at this point. Next year Spencer Brown might get priced off of the team and we'll be scrambling for a replacement at the last minute because Beane and McDermott couldn't help themselves.

It just demonstrates such short term thinking and that's why I hate it. Worst of all it continues a pattern of short term thinking with our 2nd round picks which means Beane hasn't learned anything from past mistakes.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

On reflection I don't mind this pick so much. The one that still really bothers me is Cole Bishop, and that pick I think makes the DeWayne Carter pick look worse by association. Drafting a safety in the 2nd round was just not smart resource management, it undermines some of the shrewdness that Beane has shown this offseason, and it contributes to a general feeling that the Bills have neglected to really invest in their franchise QB.

A bunch of solid OL came off the board right after that pick, including one taken by our main rival. That is where the value lied at that spot in the draft. Safeties are almost as devalued as RBs at this point. Next year Spencer Brown might get priced off of the team and we'll be scrambling for a replacement at the last minute because Beane and McDermott couldn't help themselves.

It just demonstrates such short term thinking and that's why I hate it. Worst of all it continues a pattern of short term thinking with our 2nd round picks which means Beane hasn't learned anything from past mistakes.

I understand this take, but I’m going to respectfully disagree.  The Bills are starting Rapp and Edwards at S right now.  Both were backups last season.  In addition Hamlin is the only other S on the roster.  These facts make safety a more pressing need.  There is also a reasonable chance that Bishop might

beat out one of them for a starting job. 

Brown is a starter and they seem to like Van Denmark as his backup. In addition Chris Jones is still available in this draft.  

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Jordan Travis is NOTHING like Josh Allen. Travis at times was late with the throw. Off target on some of the throws too. I love the T.O. comparison a poster used in another thread. I was thinking more Eric Moulds like

Eric Moulds is a compelling comp, but we all know our guy Moulds was functionally more physical and much faster down the sideline than Coleman seems to be. Coleman does have more wiggle and more above-the-rim game, though.

Moulds was a lot like AJ Brown, I think, if that makes sense. Just a monster. Not a lot of WRs have historically brought that same kind of brutish alpha physicality AND (deep) nine-route knack. 

Coleman compares more closely to Tee Higgins to my eye. Measurables for sure (not QUITE as tall), and tape to an extent. I'd actually argue that Coleman is a little shiftier, whereas Higgins played on better offenses and got to show off slightly better top end speed. Mike Williams (the one the Jets recently signed from the Chargers) is another potential comp. Same distinctions seem to apply. 

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

By the way as I calculate my 7 round mock I had Dewayne Carter going 99th so he was a 4 pick reach imo lol

I wonder how much tape you actually watch to come up with a whole 7 round mock.  Some of you guys are really something else.  I get it's fun but the reality is you don't have much to go off.  No interviews, no talking to teammates and coaches. No in depth film analysis.

2 hours ago, Herc11 said:

If the offense was more consistent you may not need to rely on the d to make a stop to win the game.

Chiefs won with defense last postseason and opportunistic mostly mistake free offense.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Coleman compares more closely to Tee Higgins to my eye. Measurables for sure (not QUITE as tall), and tape to an extent. I'd actually argue that Coleman is a little shiftier, whereas Higgins played on better offenses and got to show off slightly better top end speed. Mike Williams (the one the Jets recently signed from the Chargers) is another potential comp. Same distinctions seem to apply. 

Before the pick for me - Devin Funchess 2.0.

After the pick for me - Brandon Marshall 2.0.

The games we play in our head.  LOL.

• Haha (+1) 4

5 hours ago, BillsFanJ said:

Great job taking a 5th rd guy in the 3rd round.

Uff ....

At this juncture Franklin and a slew of other WR are 4th rd guys at best...so if they picked one of them could we bemoan the fact that they took a guy in the 3rd that could've easily been had in the 4th? 

By Lance Zierlein

NFL Analyst

Draft Projection

Rounds 4-5

Overview

Three-time team captain with undisputed leadership ability to go with his production. Carter is best suited for a one-gapping scheme that allows him to utilize his foot agility and upfield mentality. He plays with bend and leverage but is average at holding his ground against power. Issues mirroring initial lateral movement from blockers is a concern against zone-based running attacks. While he doesn't have jarring rush production, he might be a more talented pass rusher than run defender on the pro level, thanks to his bull rush and lateral quickness. Carter has the ability to become a good rotational piece in a 4-3 scheme.

Strengths

Plays with energy and active feet to probe for opportunities.

Drives off the snap with force and leverage into initial contact.

Good technique to stack and play off the block as a run defender.

Disguises his desire to jump-step and use club move on upfield charge.

Bull rush can be salty as interior rusher or as a base end.

Doesn't often use it, but he has a workable spin counter when needed.

Weaknesses

Too easily beaten to the spot against lateral blocks.

Needs to play with better anticipation and snap reaction against the run.

Can be pushed off the spot by powerful single blocks when centered.

Fails to maintain ideal separation to prevent being neutralized.

Needs to find a counter to improve his secondary rush off the bull rush.

Joe Marino said he had a 24% missed tackle rate. 

Edited by Watching since 1964

2 hours ago, bahamasbills said:

I wonder how much tape you actually watch to come up with a whole 7 round mock.  Some of you guys are really something else.  I get it's fun but the reality is you don't have much to go off.  No interviews, no talking to teammates and coaches. No in depth film analysis.

I do not watch 300 players entirely. It’s for fun for me. I will readily admit that. I literally try to get one pick correct as late as I can. I watch a lot of college football(my wife is not thrilled) but she knew what she was marrying. 

The 6th and 7th rounds are basically educated guesses based on team needs versus players. Latest pick I got right was # 155 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Or, like I told you over and over for weeks...we weren't trading up for one of the big 3...we werent trading for one of the big names around teh league and we were not taking 2 WR's early in the draft.  

Some of you build teams like this is Madden.  In the NFL, you win in the trenches.  

If there are two things Beane has demonstrated to us, they are:

1. His ability to get good interior D lineman, cheap, on short deals.

2.His inability to keep McD from influencing him into drafting D “ process” guys.

Is this guy going to sack the QB regularly? Doesn’t seem like it.

Is he going to demonstrably do anything to get us over the hump, in big games? Doubtful?

The NFL is literally outlawing tackling by defenders….. so Madden level offensive outlooks aren’t necessarily a character flaw moving forward….. Especially when you have a Unicorn/Freak of Nature QB with a cannon for an arm🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

If there are two things Beane has demonstrated to us, they are:

1. His ability to get good interior D lineman, cheap, on short deals.

2.His inability to keep McD from influencing him into drafting D “ process” guys.

Is this guy going to sack the QB regularly? Doesn’t seem like it.

Is he going to demonstrably do anything to get us over the hump, in big games? Doubtful?

The NFL is literally outlawing tackling by defenders….. so Madden level offensive outlooks aren’t necessarily a character flaw moving forward….. Especially when you have a Unicorn/Freak of Nature QB with a cannon for an arm🤷‍♂️

Correct. Drafting defense is so 1995