Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

3 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Lol, coming from you of all people. The winner of the thread, Mr keyboard extraordinaire.  Show me where they touched you and I'll let proper authorities know. Out of respect for this person it is what it is... but I think the only sack of shite here is in your head my man!

If Legette was the Bills target why would they trade back behind the Panthers when it was obvious they would pick him?

• Thank you (+1) 1

My good friend never says anything to me about our picks, but texted me right after our pick and was like you guys nailed it. He's an MSU grad that loves the Spartans. Said MSU basically rode him out of town. That he wanted to play basketball but the football regime wasn't supportive of it. You can see below he was on the Spartan basketball team. One of the elite programs in college basketball. 

I say this from place of coordination and athleticism. If you have longer legs you can often struggle with agility, acceleration, quick twitch. Many even just higher levels of hand eye and general coordination.

You just don't see these concerns with Coleman. He is a fluid athlete. His top end speed might not be elite but his body control, hand eye coordination, and even agility are elite for a guy who is 6'4. Tee Higgins is a comp in some regards but he’s more athletic than Higgins. 

https://msuspartans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/keon-coleman/11962

image.thumb.png.0b4f4708148c4df866d74cd54c8fa0cc.png

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

If Legette was the Bills target why would they trade back behind the Panthers when it was obvious they would pick him?

At this point one of the few things we do know is Xavier Worthy and Legette were not worthy of the Bills pick, but Coleman was.  TBD

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Look at the 2 - 230 minute mark. That is not normal for a guy that is 6"4. It's abnormal athletic ability to have that body control and start and stop at that size. 

See a lot of separation and running by people, over people, and bouncing people.  I see what Josh likes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He was not the guy I might have hoped for.  That said, I'll wait and see.  His 40 time was pedestrian at the combine, and I think the Bills need some speed on the outside, but he was terrific (and fast) in the drills.  I'd still like to see the Bills try and find a second receiver in the draft with a bit of size and speed.  Devontez Walker is still on the board I think.

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

He was not the guy I might have hoped for.  That said, I'll wait and see.  His 40 time was pedestrian at the combine, and I think the Bills need some speed on the outside, but he was terrific (and fast) in the drills.  I'd still like to see the Bills try and find a second receiver in the draft with a bit of size and speed.  Devontez Walker is still on the board I think.

We have 4 5ths,we should be moving now

49 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

No way this is true.  Beane takes Legette at 32 if he wanted him badly. 

On top of that, by his own words last night he alluded to asking teams who they're taking when they're swapping within a pick or two.  Plus Dan Morgan is a close friend, they likely knew exactly what Car was planning.

Then to add on, there's been a TON of Legette to Car at 33 talk.  Legette himself said Car would take him at 33, if still there.

I'm glad your contact was accurate on the other info, but Beane isn't letting his target go to move back 1 pick

First off, thank you for being much more respectful than someone else here. It's nice to have a convo rather than have someone act like a screw driver. 

Couple things, for obvious reasons, I didn't want to believe this as A) Leggette was who I was hoping for and B) it's not a great look for someone who I'm a fan of. I have no interest in bashing Beane, and while not perfect, he knows much more about football than myself. I didn't have to say anything and it's more just stating what went through my head through out the day. I had no issue w the trade as a fan last night, but the text I got from someone who knows NOTHING about the draft but works w someone who's husband is a scout said that he was the guy, they didn't expect that's who it was going to be for, so now Coleman is the guy. 

After umpiring a highschool game I hopped in the car and listened to the pick and sure enough - Coleman. I called that person and they mentioned they also liked the 2nd pick (who I hadn't heard of)- also spot on. It is what it is, my only real point here was that I hoped the picks weren't true - not bc I didn't want the players... but bc I didnt want to believe the story. There weren't specs in the sense that ' the world was ending' or 'they had both similar but Legette more so while they'd have preferred one, they weren't unhappy w the other' just simply that CAR took who they'd planned on taking. 

Maybe they were close enough he was willing to take that chance w that return. I have no idea. I just feel like if it's one team behind and they want to get ahead of you - I was surprised the stipulation wasn't we had to know who they wanted before the trade. 

Either way, the point of the post was simply I spent the day hoping that wasn't the pick so I could write off the story as bunk. Then not one, but 2 picks were just as they said. As such, now I believe it. No one else has to, just mentioned it bc I felt it was interesting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

First off, thank you for being much more respectful than someone else here. It's nice to have a convo rather than have someone act like a screw driver. 

Couple things, for obvious reasons, I didn't want to believe this as A) Leggette was who I was hoping for and B) it's not a great look for someone who I'm a fan of. I have no interest in bashing Beane, and while not perfect, he knows much more about football than myself. I didn't have to say anything and it's more just stating what went through my head through out the day. I had no issue w the trade as a fan last night, but the text I got from someone who knows NOTHING about the draft but works w someone who's husband is a scout said that he was the guy, they didn't expect that's who it was going to be for, so now Coleman is the guy. 

After umpiring a highschool game I hopped in the car and listened to the pick and sure enough - Coleman. I called that person and they mentioned the 2nd pick - also spot on. It is what it is, my only real point here was that I hoped the picks weren't true - not bc I didn't want the players... but bc I didnt want to believe the story. There weren't specs in the sense that ' the world was ending' or 'they had both similar but Legette more so while they'd have preferred one, they weren't unhappy w the other' just simply that CAR took who they'd planned on taking. 

Maybe they were close enough he was willing to take that chance w that return. I have no idea. I just feel like if it's one team behind and they want to get ahead of you - I was surprised the stipulation wasn't we had to know who they wanted before the trade. 

Either way, the point of the post was simply I spent the day hoping that wasn't the pick so I could write off the story as bunk. Then not one, but 2 picks were just as they said. As such, now I believe it. No one else has to, just mentioned it bc I felt it was interesting. Nothing more, nothing less.

That doesn't make sense.

Before you would trade a pick, why wouldn't you ask them if they planned on taking "this person"?

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The impression I got was that it wasn't what they were thinking. I personally didn't understand why you'd let someone step in front of you if you didn't make sure it wasn't for the person you wanted. I'd think that would be a prerequisite for making a move like that. In fairness, I don't have any context. Maybe they had them rated similar and the 5th was enough to make them go w/Coleman. The only point was that prior to that, Leggett was the pick and they had to pivot. 

• Dislike 1

Zero percent chance Beane didn’t know who Morgan was going to pick when he agreed to the trade. There’s ZERO percent chance Morgan would screw Beane and burn that bridge.

I don’t even follow the draft that close and I knew Carolina was interested in Legette. I wanted Legette at 32, Beane did not. 

In fact, I bet Beane knew Carolina wanted Legette and was getting calls for 32 so he called Morgan and said “Hey bud, I’m going to trade out of this pick unless you are interested”. That seems much more plausible to me than Beane not knowing Morgan liked Legette and was surprised Carolina picked him.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Big Turk said:

That doesn't make sense.

Before you would trade a pick, why wouldn't you ask them if they planned on taking "this person"?

You'd think it'd be a prerequisite as you are essentially letting them step in front of you. Beane answered in his presser he didn't get out of the Chiefs who they were taking but they thgt it was a WR. That would make one think that at the very least they were comfortable w a few. Your point, is EXACTLY what was so upsetting and why I hoped it wasn't true. I'm sure there was more as again, I don't have the context which is probably important. But the exact disappoint and confusion you express is why I doubted it. Then they hit 2 for 2 on the pics, so I thgt maybe there's something to it

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

The impression I got was that it wasn't what they were thinking. I personally didn't understand why you'd let someone step in front of you if you didn't make sure it wasn't for the person you wanted. I'd think that would be a prerequisite for making a move like that. In fairness, I don't have any context. Maybe they had them rated similar and the 5th was enough to make them go w/Coleman. The only point was that prior to that, Leggett was the pick and they had to pivot. 

I'm not sure whether they had to pivot. There was nothing stopping them picking Legette and rejecting the Panthers offer. I think they simply preferred Coleman's physical attributes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2