Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yep.  I think the most interesting thing this year isn't who we did, or didn't, draft at wideout.   It's what Brady does with the offense.  Belichick said yesterday that Josh Allen is "pretty special."  I want to see if Brady can build a good offensive scheme around his special QB.  If Brady schemes right, Coleman and the other WRs will be productive.  

Steve Largent was slow.  He didn't run at the combine (it didn't exist yet) but reports said his 40 time was somewhere between 4.7 and 4.9.    Even though he was productive at Tulsa, Largent wasn't drafted till the fourth round by the Oilers due to his slow feet.  The Oilers evaluated him during the preseason, decided he was indeed too sluggish for the NFL, and traded him to the Seahawks for an 8th round pick.  When he retired, Largent owned all the important career receiving records: most receptions, yards, and TDs.  His bust resides in Canton.  Speed isn't everything.  

Beane says Coleman is a 4.5 kind of guy.  These receivers all ran 4.5 or slower:  Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, Dez Bryant, Jarvis Landry, Tyler Boyd...

yea, just imagine if they had drafted a plyer with some actual physical skills instead of this bum..  josh may have really gone off with a guy like that.

I wasn't a fan going into the draft. I'm now on board and will support this player in the quest to become the best player he can be. The Bills brass has built a team that has 48 wins in 4 yrs. They know a hell of alot more football than I do. I did this same post when we drafted Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wanted Thomas too, and I am not saying he is going to be a bust.  But Thomas also hasn't proven he can be anything more than a go route guy yet, although I very much felt he was the 4th best WR in the draft.  

This was a great WR draft, lots of guys have a lot of potential.  But I am telling you right now, Coleman is more ready to come in and be a WR1 than both Thomas and Legette are.  And I am confident Coleman will have the best season by most measurements than both of those guys.  If Thomas and Legette hit their potential, they could be great no doubt as well.  

But Legette went to the worst place possible for him IMHO and I don't think Thomas landed in a great spot for him either because with the WR makeup, they will probably primarily use him as a deep ball guy and not sure he develops there like he could have someone where else.  

Its also telling that people who know football...know WR's...just love Coleman.  So I think people condemning his future right now over a 40 time while ignoring his fastest time in the gauntlet which is a better indicator of in game speed are making a mistake.  

Top bolded-  I don’t believe that at all.  WR1 needs to be able to get off press. Coleman has major issues and that may never change

Bottom- and then there are people who know football, that think he’s a 3rd rd prospect and out of the top 10 WRs in the draft.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wanted Thomas too, and I am not saying he is going to be a bust.  But Thomas also hasn't proven he can be anything more than a go route guy yet, although I very much felt he was the 4th best WR in the draft.  

This was a great WR draft, lots of guys have a lot of potential.  But I am telling you right now, Coleman is more ready to come in and be a WR1 than both Thomas and Legette are.  And I am confident Coleman will have the best season by most measurements than both of those guys.  If Thomas and Legette hit their potential, they could be great no doubt as well.  

But Legette went to the worst place possible for him IMHO and I don't think Thomas landed in a great spot for him either because with the WR makeup, they will probably primarily use him as a deep ball guy and not sure he develops there like he could have someone where else.  

Its also telling that people who know football...know WR's...just love Coleman.  So I think people condemning his future right now over a 40 time while ignoring his fastest time in the gauntlet which is a better indicator of in game speed are making a mistake.  

I think he will be Gabe Davis at his best and James Hardy if he struggles. There’s my expectations of him. But hey, I’m actually shocked they took a WR to begin with. Really thought they felt they were good there. 

20 minutes ago, finn said:

Like us, maybe Beane got sick of seeing Davis, Cook, and Diggs drop balls. Now Allen has what might be the best all-hands team in the NFL in Kincaid, Shakir, and Coleman. They might not be fast, but they all catch the ball. 

Great take Finn 👏

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yep.  I think the most interesting thing this year isn't who we did, or didn't, draft at wideout.   It's what Brady does with the offense.  Belichick said yesterday that Josh Allen is "pretty special."  I want to see if Brady can build a good offensive scheme around his special QB.  If Brady schemes right, Coleman and the other WRs will be productive.  

Steve Largent was slow.  He didn't run at the combine (it didn't exist yet) but reports said his 40 time was somewhere between 4.7 and 4.9.    Even though he was productive at Tulsa, Largent wasn't drafted till the fourth round by the Oilers due to his slow feet.  The Oilers evaluated him during the preseason, decided he was indeed too sluggish for the NFL, and traded him to the Seahawks for an 8th round pick.  When he retired, Largent owned all the important career receiving records: most receptions, yards, and TDs.  His bust resides in Canton.  Speed isn't everything.  

Beane says Coleman is a 4.5 kind of guy.  These receivers all ran 4.5 or slower:  Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, Dez Bryant, Jarvis Landry, Tyler Boyd...

boss, telling the story of a guy that played in the era of part time jobs in the offseason doesn’t do what you think

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

There are so many good/great WR's who didn't run a 4.3/4.4.  Speed is great, doesn't mean everything.  Sure hands, good route running, athleticism all equal a very good career.  Hopeful Brady puts his stamp on this offense and makes the offense even better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, <bills4life> said:

At that point in time  it wasn’t hindsight though was it. I guess my point is that you are correct that even the great ones get it wrong.  Sometimes being so close to it can sometimes cloud judgement. And because of that people shouldn’t be so dismissive of individuals on this board. There are a lot of people on here who really know their stuff.  This is not an endorsement of myself either. I’m truly amazed at how some people know and understand the x and o of the game. I learn new things every time I am on here. And I have been watching for almost 50 years. 

Same. I’m wide open to different opinions. But my point is only describing the bad picks is not an accurate depiction. I learn a ton on this board and listen to national and local media. Radio, podcasts, tv so I try not to be harsh on any particular viewpoint. I was not dismissing at all. But the argument has to have balance imho. Appreciate your thoughts and we are both wanting the Bills to be great 🍻!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Top bolded-  I don’t believe that at all.  WR1 needs to be able to get off press. Coleman has major issues and that may never change

Bottom- and then there are people who know football, that think he’s a 3rd rd prospect and out of the top 10 WRs in the draft.  

Strange... Beane just said he does a good job getting off press coverage.  I'll take his word.

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Is this Keon’s mom’s burner account?

Yes I’ve been here since 2005 knowing my 1 year old son Keon Coleman was going to be an NFL player drafted by the Bills 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

Yet you like most others seem to love the pick. 

So? 

Are you going for some kind of "gotcha?"  I view the draft the same every year.   I know next to nothing.  I look at a player, and if he has good attributes, I hope for the best.

I try not to be disparaging, but I think they guys who come on here and post "bust" or whatever right away are total clowns.  They read a few mocks, watch some youtube, and think they know as much as guys who breathe this stuff every day, all day, 365 days a year.

You think Beane & the scouts missed the fact that he doesn't get "separation?"  They obviously like some of his other skills much more.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2