Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Film Analysis:

Keon Coleman is one of the best receivers in an outstanding receiver class. Coleman was a multi-year starter with Michigan State, where he had a very productive career before transferring to Florida State. 

Physically, Coleman is one of the best receiver prospects you will see. He has outstanding size and length and has a very muscular build. Coleman is a unique prospect in the sense that he has the body of a big possession receiver but the movement skills of a quicker slot receiver. Florida State utilized Coleman all over the formation and he was the focal point for their offense. 

Coleman is very good off the line, showing good burst to create separation while being physical enough to battle through press coverage. He has enough speed to make defenders respect the vertical routes and he can stop on a dime and create separation at the breakpoint—something receivers his size should not be able to do this well. He runs a full route tree and is a three-level threat. 

Coleman is outstanding with the ball in his hands and FSU wisely utilizes him on screens and quick hitters just to get him the rock as much as possible. He displays very good change of direction and an ability to make the first defender miss. This is also evident on special teams as he is the team's primary punt returner. One of the truly special things about Coleman’s game is his ball skills, hands, and ability to excel in contested-catch situations. He is a weapon in the red zone and is open when he is covered. He can elevate above most defenders to high point the football and he understands how to use his size to his advantage and always works to get in position to secure the football. 

Coleman will have to get better with some of his route running, as he will get lazy at the top of his route at times and that will be something he cleans up when facing NFL defenders. But overall, Coleman has everything you want to be a team’s No. 1 option and will likely be a difference-maker early on in his NFL career. 

Prospect Projection: Day 1 — Pro Bowl Talent

by Brentley Weismann 

As a homer, I love this.  Thanks for posting.

As a sceptic, I had to look up Brentley Weisman.  He's a former NFL scout.  Hmm.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Film Analysis:

Keon Coleman is one of the best receivers in an outstanding receiver class. Coleman was a multi-year starter with Michigan State, where he had a very productive career before transferring to Florida State. 

Physically, Coleman is one of the best receiver prospects you will see. He has outstanding size and length and has a very muscular build. Coleman is a unique prospect in the sense that he has the body of a big possession receiver but the movement skills of a quicker slot receiver. Florida State utilized Coleman all over the formation and he was the focal point for their offense. 

Coleman is very good off the line, showing good burst to create separation while being physical enough to battle through press coverage. He has enough speed to make defenders respect the vertical routes and he can stop on a dime and create separation at the breakpoint—something receivers his size should not be able to do this well. He runs a full route tree and is a three-level threat. 

Coleman is outstanding with the ball in his hands and FSU wisely utilizes him on screens and quick hitters just to get him the rock as much as possible. He displays very good change of direction and an ability to make the first defender miss. This is also evident on special teams as he is the team's primary punt returner. One of the truly special things about Coleman’s game is his ball skills, hands, and ability to excel in contested-catch situations. He is a weapon in the red zone and is open when he is covered. He can elevate above most defenders to high point the football and he understands how to use his size to his advantage and always works to get in position to secure the football. 

Coleman will have to get better with some of his route running, as he will get lazy at the top of his route at times and that will be something he cleans up when facing NFL defenders. But overall, Coleman has everything you want to be a team’s No. 1 option and will likely be a difference-maker early on in his NFL career. 

Prospect Projection: Day 1 — Pro Bowl Talent

by Brentley Weismann 

Very nice.  It seems that most of the commentary on Coleman is based on his one season of FSU tape, but what do people think about his Michigan State tape?  Anyone know why he transferred?

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

Very nice.  It seems that most of the commentary on Coleman is based on his one season of FSU tape, but what do people think about his Michigan State tape?  Anyone know why he transferred?

Better QB in Jordan Travis and a better passing offense at FSU

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Better QB in Jordan Travis and a better passing offense at FSU

Whoops!

But seriously, FSU was supposed to be an offensive powerhouse. I am not absolving Coleman of all flaws on his game but a lot of those analytics on route win rate and contested ball rate get a layer of context when you find out that the Duke HC made comments about how FSU's plan seemed heavily reliant to put their big bodied WRs on the outside to open up the middle, which made them easy to scout against. He also had (i think) the backup's backup chucking him 50/50 balls, which is why his highlight reel is heavily him going up to high point the ball and making acrobatic catches. 

Here's a part of his game I think isn't being talked about on here enough: he was FSU's screen option and punt returner, so he knows how to pick lanes and cut after he gets the ball. Maybe I am crazy but I remember a lot of times last year where a screen just missed. With Coleman's catch radius, Josh might not have to be so precise.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

Coleman also said on one of the videos that he regarded being at Michigan State as a two year sentence and that he was a southern boy at heart.  Not sure what he will feel about Buffalo in November, December and January.

Folks blaming the backup QB at Miami are talking like Jordan Travis missed half the season.  Travis played 10.5 games.   He only missed 2.5 games that Coleman played in (Coleman did not play in the Orange Bowl).

54 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Coleman also said on one of the videos that he regarded being at Michigan State as a two year sentence and that he was a southern boy at heart.  Not sure what he will feel about Buffalo in November, December and January.

Folks blaming the backup QB at Miami are talking like Jordan Travis missed half the season.  Travis played 10.5 games.   He only missed 2.5 games that Coleman played in (Coleman did not play in the Orange Bowl).

East Lansing isn't the best winter destination, to be honest... it may be a college town, but it's still Mish**igan.

Travis also now plays for the Jests, making the rivalry a bit more spicy. I expect some great back and forth ribbing between the two.

• Agree 1

On 5/6/2024 at 5:30 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I really don't know about 2 years down the road but I expect that they won't immediately be able to put him out wide at X like Beane suggested and have him find success.   They are going to have to modify his role.   That's what the Chiefs did with Rashee Rice, for instance.

I think they will need to used him in the slot or in a lot of condensed formations to create space for him and then also put him in motion a lot.   Which is the kind of scheming you use for your lower pedigree and/or physically limited players........not first rounders or 33rd overall picks.   That will get old fast if he doesn't develop.

I liked the physical comp of Davante Adams to Coleman..........both big, physical guys with excellent body control, hands and leaping ability.   But whether Coleman has the drive, determination and intelligence to refine his game like that is another story.    Few want to work that hard and appearing gregarious at first blush doesn't tell me anything about whether he has that.    And, fwiw,  it took Davante Adams until year 3 to become a starter and year 4 to hit 1,000 yards for the first time.    Despite having the best QB in his conference all that time.   Not sure how well it will go over if it takes until his walk year for him to become a stud.

His best comps are Devonte Adams and a healthy Mike Williams with the Chargers.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Whoops!

But seriously, FSU was supposed to be an offensive powerhouse. I am not absolving Coleman of all flaws on his game but a lot of those analytics on route win rate and contested ball rate get a layer of context when you find out that the Duke HC made comments about how FSU's plan seemed heavily reliant to put their big bodied WRs on the outside to open up the middle, which made them easy to scout against. He also had (i think) the backup's backup chucking him 50/50 balls, which is why his highlight reel is heavily him going up to high point the ball and making acrobatic catches. 

Here's a part of his game I think isn't being talked about on here enough: he was FSU's screen option and punt returner, so he knows how to pick lanes and cut after he gets the ball. Maybe I am crazy but I remember a lot of times last year where a screen just missed. With Coleman's catch radius, Josh might not have to be so precise.

If you watch the new Bills video he talks to our new DT from Duke about that game.  He tells Coleman  they scrapped their normal gameplay and put in a total new one for FSU.  From Mt understanding the other starting WR went out and all they had to do was focus on Coleman.

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

If you watch embedded he jumps over a couch and yells " I'm going to Buffalo!"   So I think he is going to be ok with it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If you watch embedded he jumps over a couch and yells " I'm going to Buffalo!"   So I think he is going to be ok with it.

He said before the draft he wants to come to Buffalo and play with Josh Allen too and he also told the whole Bills staff on his 30 visit, even the girl at the front desk, they shouldn’t even let him leave because he knows he’s coming back.  

Buffalo was his top choice and where he wanted to be, so yeah, don’t think the cold worries him.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

I herd that too but I think he clarified it that his game was better in the SEC/ACC systems where there was more passing rather than the ground an pound system the Big 10 teams play thus his transfer our of MSU. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pffffft! I can't believe all the crybabies in here. Keon has taken 0 snaps in a professional setting. He'll get plenty of training on his route running. He says he's run a 4.56. That's better than DHop (4.57s) or TO (4.65s). So you'd rather compare him to KB than those 2? Really?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

His best comps are Devonte Adams and a healthy Mike Williams with the Chargers.

If you watch the new Bills video he talks to our new DT from Duke about that game.  He tells Coleman  they scrapped their normal gameplay and put in a total new one for FSU.  From Mt understanding the other starting WR went out and all they had to do was focus on Coleman.

Pretty much exactly that for a good chunk of the year.

I don't want to disregard some of the knocks on Coleman's game. He's never going to gain vertical separation just by out sprinting a corner. He's going to need to work on his route running but one of the first things he did when drafted was contact the Bills to ask what routes they wanted him to work on. He's not a finished project but there wasn't a finished project outside of the top 3.

I am curious to see how they develop him

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Pffffft! I can't believe all the crybabies in here. Keon has taken 0 snaps in a professional setting. He'll get plenty of training on his route running. He says he's run a 4.56. That's better than DHop (4.57s) or TO (4.65s). So you'd rather compare him to KB than those 2? Really?

Just like after we drafted JA17..."There is zero chance he can succeed in the NFL", "you can't improve accuracy", "I'm done with the Bills", etc...all said with absolute certainty... 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Just like after we drafted JA17..."There is zero chance he can succeed in the NFL", "you can't improve accuracy", "I'm done with the Bills", etc...all said with absolute certainty... 

There are media and some Bills fans who still seem to hate us Picking Allen.

10 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

The stats in those 2 ACC games without travis are pretty brutal.  20/46 for 189 yards and 0 TDs over 2 games.  Not saying Travis starting is going to blow the numbers out, but they were trying to win and the only way to do that was to not pass the ball.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

The stats in those 2 ACC games without travis are pretty brutal.  20/46 for 189 yards and 0 TDs over 2 games.  Not saying Travis starting is going to blow the numbers out, but they were trying to win and the only way to do that was to not pass the ball.  

Not saying there backup qb wasn't horrible, just that a lot of posts seem to imply the backup played most of the season when Travis actually played a cast majority of the games.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Not saying there backup qb wasn't horrible, just that a lot of posts seem to imply the backup played most of the season when Travis actually played a cast majority of the games.

It’s crazy how funny life can be. Imagine Travis stays healthy, they finish strong and make the playoffs. Maybe even win a game or two. Coleman might be looked at very differently by the average fan.

I don’t think professional scouts would be swayed by that (much), but it’s human nature. I liked when Beane said he was happy about the slow 40 time, because it might help him fall to us. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Looking at the tweets early in the process

Just feeling better and better about the pick and I hate that I wrote him off early bc of separation numbers.   

It’s hilarious how McConkey is going to be awesome but Keon is the “polarizing” pick.  

Meanwhile Rashee Rice is going to jail.  

There are so many things we don’t know about these guys that just some small red flags may be enough to get a GM to say “not worth it you go be someone else’s problem.”  

I'm sure somewhere in this long thread, a Tee Higgins comparison was made:

Higgins:    33rd pick in the draft, 6 foot 3 and 5/8th's  216 lbs. , 4.59 40 time

Coleman:  33rd pick in the draft, 6 foot 4 216 lbs. 4.61 40 time

I'd be quite happy if Coleman can approach Higgins-level production.

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, mannc said:

17 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

He was excellent at MSU and had a ton of interest when he decided to transfer. He went to a Spartans BB game earlier this year wearing an Izzo jersey. He talks fondly about MSU and the MSU alum I know speak very highly of him. My closest friend texted me about him right away. Said he was one of the best athletes at WR he had seen play there. I said better than Plaxico? He said Plaxico isn't close.

He has a chance to be special.  

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/2024/03/07/keon-coleman-michigan-state-basketball-msu-transfer-spartans-wr-florida-state/72883166007/

• Like (+1) 4