Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think at the end of day Buffalo did the work on all the wrs.  Met with Franklin pretty much every step of the process.  Buffalo brass and Allen went with Coleman.  You can look at the positive of the pick or the neg that probably comes down to how you fan.  His RAS score is over 9.  Before Travis got hurt he was routinely projected as a top 10 pick.  I think we are at the point to get behind the kid and see if he can meet his potential.   Allen couldnt improve his 58% completion too.

Rappaport said unofficial he ran 4.53 after the combine for scouts. Idk if pro day or private work out.  Beane said their data showed 4.5 not 4.6.  Moulds and Bryant are some positive comps.  Both big wrs with return ability in college.  That is what Buffalo is projecting him to be. 

Another comp I like is Puka...

6 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Another comp I like is Puka...

I think Coleman a is better athlete.  I think Coleman can play a similar game.  Also, adds more in a jump ball sort of way.  Imo his #1 is work on his footwork and sky is the limit.  Get him with Shakir and Moulds yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You get separation from a number of things, least of all forty times.  He has plenty of athleticism to separate at the next level and it’s going to come from technique.  And at Florida St they didn’t focus on this enough with him, but he’s shown the ability to do it.  At the next level the coaching in staff is going to focus on his technique and release because he proved he has plenty of short area burst and athleticism to excel there.

There have been a lot of guys who came out where separation was a knock on college but showed they had the athleticism to be able to utilize technique at the next level.  It’s why guys like Kupp, St. Brown, etc have all gone on to have great success.  

If a player lacks that athleticism (see Gabe Davis) then the ability to develop the techniques and routes that will allow them to consistently win at the next level isn’t as likely.

You need to know what you are looking at to know who can improve and who can’t.  It’s why people high on Allen could see the potential to be accurate by seeing he had the tools, intelligence, commitment, coach-ability, etc to make the improvements in technique and showed he could do it early leading up to the draft.  

Coleman has that.  He has that drive, commitment and athleticism to continue to develop and improve where he needs to in order to win consistently in the NFL.  

Will he?  Who knows.  But he’s the kind of prospect I like to bet on.  This kid has an it factor that a lot of players don’t.  He has the right attitude, mentality, confidence, swagger, and competitive drive that sets a prospect up for reaching their potential.  

To me…if DeAndre Hopkins and Brandon Marshall had a baby, that’s Coleman except Coleman is more athletic and humble.  That’s who I see when I watch him.  And Coleman ran a faster 40 than both of them.  

Jesus man, i almost puked my lunch.....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

True but that’ doesnt mean we need to ignore better talent to go along with this offensive philosophy 

I missed the beginning of the convo.  Who is the better talent that we ignored?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Looking at the positive, Coleman could be the broken play monster.  Allen leaves the pocket and throws it up for Coleman 55 yards down field.  

How many minutes is 55 yards at Keon's speed?

Kidding. Maybe

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I said it, not last week, but when the Bills signed him.   

He is NOT going to play strictly out of the slot.   I'm sure of that.  

What is strictly? Like he takes 1 snap outside and suddenly you are a soothsayer? Almost no WR on any team in the NFL "strictly" just plays inside or outside. Curtis played nearly 70% of snaps from the slot last year. He also had similar usage under our OC Joe Brady when they were both in Carolina. 

Even guys who are pure slot receivers like Isaiah Mckenzie still have seasons where they spend 40%+ of snaps on the outside. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I missed the beginning of the convo.  Who is the better talent that we ignored?

Not trading up for a better WR. I also think McConkey is a better WR. 

I also think there are many non WR’s in that spot we could have drafted which were far better BPA than Coleman 

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

And who at this point is "better talent"?

See above 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I think at the end of day Buffalo did the work on all the wrs.  Met with Franklin pretty much every step of the process.  Buffalo brass and Allen went with Coleman.  You can look at the positive of the pick or the neg that probably comes down to how you fan.  His RAS score is over 9.  Before Travis got hurt he was routinely projected as a top 10 pick.  I think we are at the point to get behind the kid and see if he can meet his potential.   Allen couldnt improve his 58% completion too.

Rappaport said unofficial he ran 4.53 after the combine for scouts. Idk if pro day or private work out.  Beane said their data showed 4.5 not 4.6.  Moulds and Bryant are some positive comps.  Both big wrs with return ability in college.  That is what Buffalo is projecting him to be. 

Thoroughly agree with all of that. Big catch radius, tall, can get it up high. We have all sorts of Z guys and a top receiving TE in the middle. Coleman diversifies the types of targets Josh will see. They could turn into a real red zone nightmare (and they're already very scary in the red zone). 

27 minutes ago, DJB said:

Not trading up for a better WR. I also think McConkey is a better WR. 

I also think there are many non WR’s in that spot we could have drafted which were far better BPA than Coleman 

See above 

seems to me that you’re confusing “better talent” with “players that you deem to be better talent”.  No? 

as if there’s no chance that the Bills front office sees things differently than you?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm grabbing this idea and running with it 

I hope you run very fast with it, lest you get some serious grief here.   😋

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

seems to me that you’re confusing “better talent” with “players that you deem to be better talent”.  No? 

as if there’s no chance that the Bills front office sees things differently than you?

This is a message board no? So we are all entitled to our opinions? 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Ran into Kelvin Benjamin's RAS score.  He got a 3.49

Not really fair to compare Coleman to him. 

I thought 3.49 was the over/under on how many plates he got at the Golden Corral. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Looking at the positive, Coleman could be the broken play monster.  Allen leaves the pocket and throws it up for Coleman 55 yards down field.  

Allen is probably sick of his receivers not coming down with 50/50 balls, that's probably why he loves Coleman. Think about the shot he took to Gabe Davis in game 1 against the Jets last year, right through his hands. Think about the Diggs play against KC in the playoffs, right through his hands.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2