Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

That's literally why people are so frustrated. That's not an impressive group of receivers.

Good point.  Looks a lot like Cooper Kupp, Puka Nacua, and Demarcus Robinson, before they became a deadly combination.  Or St. Brown, Reynolds, LaPorta, and Raymond. Kelce, Rice, Valdez-Scantling, Watson.  The style of offense these teams are playing, and getting good production in the passing game, is not dependent of big name receivers.   It's a style that repeatedly leverages the defense in ways that allow good athletes to get open.  Shakir, Samuel, Coleman, and Kincaid are good athletes and they will get open.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Good point.  Looks a lot like Cooper Kupp, Puka Nacua, and Demarcus Robinson, before they became a deadly combination.  Or St. Brown, Reynolds, LaPorta, and Raymond. Kelce, Rice, Valdez-Scantling, Watson.  The style of offense these teams are playing, and getting good production in the passing game, is not dependent of big name receivers.   It's a style that repeatedly leverages the defense in ways that allow good athletes to get open.  Shakir, Samuel, Coleman, and Kincaid are good athletes and they will get open.  

Kupp, St. Brown and Kelce were proven commodities as #1 receiving options. Putting complimentary pieces around those players at least has some logic to it. 

We're putting all of our hopes in Shakir and Kincaid taking big steps forward and for Coleman to have a big rookie year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Kupp, St. Brown and Kelce were proven commodities as #1 receiving options. Putting complimentary pieces around those players at least has some logic to it. 

They were anything but proven commodities when they were drafted.  What they are is very much what the Bills' receivers are - good hungry athletes ready to play in a system.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They were anything but proven commodities when they were drafted.  What they are is very much what the Bills' receivers are - good hungry athletes ready to play in a system.  

The group of receivers you included around those players were not from their rookie years. Now you're moving the goal posts and making a different point. 

Not to mention, the years Kupp and St. Brown were drafted, their teams were coming off of 4 and 3 win seasons. The expectations weren't nearly as high as ours are.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 1

I've got to put it down on record so I'm going to post here. 

Despite trying to get optimistic about the Keon Coleman pick, I've gotta go with my gut and how I felt about him prior to the Bills selecting him. I don't think he'll end up being a good WR in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong, and maybe I will be.  Maybe his opportunity in Buffalo coupled with getting to play with a great QB will help him tip the scales and he'll become a productive WR for the Bills.........but I'm just not optimistic at all.

Listen to any of the smarter guys who breakdown these prospects, whether its Greg Cosell, Matt Harmon of reception perception, or most of the guys over at PFF and they don't like the prospect. Now does that Mena they'll be right? No it doesnt, but there is a lot of evidence that guys like Keon Coleman don't pan out in the NFL.

After watching everyone of his targets this past season I cam away very underwhelmed. I didn't see a guy worth of the #33 pick. I don't think he catches the ball particularly well in traffic and for a guy that's not fast and will be covered a lot that's concerning. I also saw blvery little burst. On a lot of his receptions near the line fo scrimmage he was easily tackled by the defense and showed very little wiggle or ability to hit it north/south quickly. 

I'm very curious what thr plan will be for Coleman because guys like Matt Harmon thought any chance he'd have at success would be with a move to the slot. Similar to how Marques Colston played for the Saints.. But it seems the Bils think hes an X receiver.

Time shall tell, hope I'm wrong

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Estro said:

Despite trying to get optimistic about the Keon Coleman pick, I've gotta go with my gut and how I felt about him prior to the Bills selecting him. I don't think he'll end up being a good WR in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong, and maybe I will be.  Maybe his opportunity in Buffalo coupled with getting to play with a great QB will help him tip the scales and he'll become a productive WR for the Bills.........but I'm just not optimistic at all.

Listen to any of the smarter guys who breakdown these prospects, whether its Greg Cosell, Matt Harmon of reception perception, or most of the guys over at PFF and they don't like the prospect. Now does that Mena they'll be right? No it doesnt, but there is a lot of evidence that guys like Keon Coleman don't pan out in the NFL.

After watching everyone of his targets this past season I cam away very underwhelmed. I didn't see a guy worth of the #33 pick. I don't think he catches the ball particularly well in traffic and for a guy that's not fast and will be covered a lot that's concerning. I also saw blvery little burst. On a lot of his receptions near the line fo scrimmage he was easily tackled by the defense and showed very little wiggle or ability to hit it north/south quickly. 

I'm very curious what thr plan will be for Coleman because guys like Matt Harmon thought any chance he'd have at success would be with a move to the slot. Similar to how Marques Colston played for the Saints.. But it seems the Bils think hes an X receiver.

Well, that's the negative case, and the reason I preferred Mitchell or Legette as an X, and McConkey as a Z that could be a volume receiver year one.

I still think those were better choices, and I also believe McConkey has a high floor, though there are some injury concerns.

Regardless, if you read the opinions on the positive side of the ledger, there are reasons for hope. My main sticking point is that fellas like him, if they do succeed, often do so as a big slot.

That is absolutely what we don't need, because Kincaid is our best weapon, and that's where he needs to be. So, I dunno. I'm hoping folks who think he can be a boundary receiver are right. I'm also hoping those who think he is unlikely to outright bust are correct, and that a better Gabe Davis is his floor. If he hits, of course, I do think WR1 is a ceiling for him.

31 minutes ago, Estro said:

This is the boat I’m in. I hope I’m wrong, but I feel the Bills flubbed this pick big time and got essentially another N’Keal Harry. 

When you have a guy like Ladd McConkey there, you have to make that pick. I find it maddening the Bills whiffed so hard on this selection.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I get questioning or not liking the pick, and thus airing out your opinion here. Hopefully after another day or so of showing how much you hate the pick of Coleman, you can let that go and cheer this young man on. He seems like a great dude, and here’s to many on the board having to eat crow once he shines for the Bills. 

Edited by Hsker4life
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

For me the lack of excitement I feel about the pick is the lack of conviction the bills seem to feel about Coleman.

WR was always going to be the pick, and it’s a glaring need. Beane has shown when he loves a guy and it’s a position of need, he goes and gets the guy. What is obvious to me is the Bills likely had a tier of a few wr’s they were good with and Coleman happened to be the highest guy left at 33.

Knowing we likely need a wr to contribute next year to be competitive, it would have felt better if if the optics were that the either moved up or took a guy at 28 because they loved him and had complete conviction he was their guy. 

Not sure this was already posted. Tyler Dunn posted snipits from his scouts opinions on Coleman. Some good some bad. Comparisons to Tee Higgins and Anquan Boldin show there is a real path for Keon to succeed. 

“NFC scout: “Great body control. Unbelievable hands. Great understanding of defenses. Loves the game of football. Receivers that ran slow include Keenan Allen, Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams. He’s got as good if not better body control than those guys do. He just goes up and goes for it. This guy’s so talented as an athlete that he could have gone to Kansas and played basketball.”

Edited by LLCoolCy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Brett Whitefield's take on the KC pick.  He had XW as his #13 WR.  He is quite down on him. 

28) Kansas City Chiefs: Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas = F

Who fleeced who? Buffalo gladly allows the Chiefs to get Worthy. This pick ranked dead last in the Whitefield/Wecht Value Model. I don't know why the Chiefs were hell-bent on doing the Mecole Hardman experience all over again, but here we are. The Chiefs' recent track record of WR acquisitions also doesn’t give me a ton of confidence in this pick.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

When Puka Nacua joined the Rams, Cooper Kupp already had a 1900 yard season in the NFL and a SB MVP.

When Sam LaPorta joined the Lions, St. Brown had over 2k yards and 11 TD’s through two seasons.

When Rice joined the Chiefs, Travis Kelce was already a surefire HoFer, a two time champion, and probably the best TE of all time.

When Keon Coleman joined the Bills, Shakir had 611 yards and 2 TD’s. Curtis Samuel also was coming off 600+ yards. Kincaid was coming off 600+ yards.

are we getting punk’d?

I have to assume that most of the people roasting our receiver talent did not watch the last 8 games of last year when we went on our winning streak. Our offense did not run through Diggs, it ran through Josh and then through Cook, then through Shakir. Diggs was able to be jettisoned because they have a plan to have Josh play like the GB offense last year, everyone is involved. We likely won't have a 1000 yard receiver this year, but we might have 4 guys with 700. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Brett Whitefield's take on the KC pick.  He had XW as his #13 WR.  He is quite down on him. 

28) Kansas City Chiefs: Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas = F

Who fleeced who? Buffalo gladly allows the Chiefs to get Worthy. This pick ranked dead last in the Whitefield/Wecht Value Model. I don't know why the Chiefs were hell-bent on doing the Mecole Hardman experience all over again, but here we are. The Chiefs' recent track record of WR acquisitions also doesn’t give me a ton of confidence in this pick.

Thanks for this - so sick of hearing people (all upset) say we "gave them" Worthy when literally they gave us something for him.  They were going to get him anyway - if anything the Bills should be praised for weakening a rivals draft capital for a player they didn't want

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1