Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

For anyone denouncing this pick, how are you so sure that he will be a failure and not work out for us?

Just curious as to why people think it's not a good pick.....

Speed?.......yes, he had the slowest 40, however, he had the fastest gauntlet and pass-arounds at the combine by any WR in the past 2 years

What else you got?

I think there’s a difference between denouncing it and declaring he’s going to be a failure. 

15 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

My expectations are based on:

• Being picked at #33
  • Gabe Davis' production
  • Dalton Kincaid's production
  • Joe Brady's spread the ball offense
  • Heavy usage in the red zone

Keon will have 600-700 yards and 6-8 TDs as a rookie and his numbers will improve about 20-25% as his career peaks. He'll make a disproportionate amount of big plays and his run blocking will be a big part of the offense.

Yeah, an 800-900 yard season career player is exactly the kind of low ceiling guy I didn’t want lol

Here are a few thoughts.   I've only watch Coleman highlight reels and read a variety of posts here.  I admit to being too dumb to find Happy Days' posts here, but apparently he's been on the Coleman bandwagon.  Here are my thoughts:

1.  I continue to believe that people here have their own ideas about what the Bills need at wideout, and that's why there's so much disappointment.  All that means is that the Bills were looking for someone different than what all those people believe.  And I'll continue to say that the Bills know more about this than any of us. 

2.  Having said that, I don't see exactly how they expect Coleman to fit in.  I imagined a guy with more speed and more shiftiness.  I can see why people say he looks like a Davis replacement.  

3.  However, I see more than Davis.  I always thought Davis's weakness was catching in a crowd, and Coleman look a whole lot better at than than Davis.  I get that if I looked at all of his film, I'd see plenty of contested drops, but still, I like the way Coleman positions his body to screen defenders.   And the one-handed catch is something Davis could only dream of.   

4.  I also like the punt returns.   Not that the guy is going to return punts for the Bills, but there's a lot of ball carrying skill on display there.  That should translate into some yards after catch.  

5.  Okay.  Get out the flamethrowers.   Here's what I see in Coleman:  Mike Evans lite.  A tad slower, a tad smaller, but a guy who despite having less than great measureables, has skills that combine to make a really tough receiver.   He's young - 20 - must turn 21 this year - and he'll add some bulk.  I think in the red zone, he'll pair nicely with Kincaid and Knox as big targets.  I think he'll work as a possession receiver.  I think he will get deep sometimes, and we'll be scratching our heads about how he was fast enough to do that.   All of which was what I thought about Mike Evans until, after about five years, I had to admit that the guy is just a damn fine receiver, even if he doesn't fit a classic mold.  

Coleman is a bit of project, but I love the upside.   

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have to admit, the more I research this guy and the more I learn about him, the more comfortable I am feeling. Also knowing that guys like anquan boldin, larry fitzgerald, jerry rice all ran similar 40s makes me feel better. But this guy clearly has the physical tools and I love the fact that he excels at other sports and can be used in the kick return game. This guy can catch the damn ball though that's for sure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

For anyone denouncing this pick, how are you so sure that he will be a failure and not work out for us?

Speed?.......yes, he had the slowest 40, however, he had the fastest gauntlet and pass-arounds at the combine by any WR in the past 2 years

What else you got?

I think the 10 yard split is more translatable to NFL football than the full 40.  Coleman’s was in line with the top part of the class.  Now pair that with proposed game speed and he has the potential to be more than a possession wr with red zone jump ball ability.  He is not a lumbering runner and is surprisingly fluid.  He develops into a route runner he could become a top level wr.  He is not that out of the box.  None of the wrs after the top 3 are.  Route running is coachable.  I thinks its a good gamble.  

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Sweats said:

What else you got?

You know I think on some level Coleman was looked at negatively on here by majority. I think some people maybe just fell in love with their guy and Coleman wasn’t it. I know there were a few guys on the Coleman train. The Franklin stuff is silly because he is still on the board. The Leggette and Worthy stuff is also silly becuase I think it’s obvious the Bills did not want those guys. I also think it is pretty likley that the Patriots would have taken Coleman at 34 if the Bills passed. 

I was on the Thomas/Mitchell train but I like a lot of what Franklin etc brought to the table. I wanted Mitchell but still like Coleman. My initial feelings were similar in the Josh-Josh debate. I liked both guys, liked the wrong one a little more. Obviously like a lot of people I was wrong.

Time will tell, but Coleman makes a ton of sense on a lot of different levels. He is in some ways the Josh Allen of WR. Rawness in his game, but massive, massive upside if he can put it all together. I’ll take a shot on a guy like that any day. What I do like is that they made this pick with clear heads after thinking it over for 24 hours or whatever. I am excited for Coleman to bring a dimension of offensive playmaking ability here that we have not really seen in quite some time. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah, an 800-900 yard season career player is exactly the kind of low ceiling guy I didn’t want lol

The upper end of Coleman's statistical range is possibly higher than that but also, statistics only go so far in expressing a player's true value.

13 minutes ago, Sweats said:

What else you got?

Regarding his splits on the “football” drills, you’re absolutely right, and this is why I am willing to excuse his 40 yard dash time.  

My biggest issues are two things:

1. Separation. The fact he is not a separator is concerning. Even if he excels at contested catches, I don’t like the idea of Allen throwing into coverage frequently when he is targeting Coleman. You are leaving too much to chance this way, and even though we should be able to expect Coleman to win most of these, how many interceptions could it also lead to? When the reduction of turnovers is something I think we all hope to see from Allen next season.

2. As good as his combine drills were, there is one player that I see that had a better score on (almost) all of them, and that is AD Mitchell. It bothers me quite a bit that we took Coleman over Mitchell. Mitchell is a much more polished receiver and can do the things that Coleman can do plus more. I believe he has a better chance to produce immediately at the NFL level, which is what we needed much more than a “development” player. We just lost our top two receivers. I understand that Coleman actually does add something that this offense was missing, I just think there was a much better option. 

I guess I just wanted to see the Bills draft a dynamic receiver that could be targeted at every level of the field, and I am not sure if Coleman can ever be that type of player. 

That said, I am definitely willing to give him a chance, and like others, I hope I am wrong about him. 

I also hope I am wrong about Mitchell.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

heck Coleman had almost all his 600 yards in 3 games ala gabe Davis. He’s a guy that can be neutralized 

It’s entirely possible but at his specs, it’s going to be a major challenge. It’s not quite Josh Allen proving wrong math levels but it’s a real ceiling projection 

More like 2 games, LSU and Syracuse.  The guy was MIA for the last half of the season. I don't question his athleticism, but the production isn't there. I assumed these comparisons to Hopkins and Evans are tongue-in-cheek jokes.

2 minutes ago, ShakAttack said:

Regarding his splits on the “football” drills, you’re absolutely right, and this is why I am willing to excuse his 40 yard dash time.  

My biggest issues are two things:

1. Separation. The fact he is not a separator is concerning. Even if he excels at contested catches, I don’t like the idea of Allen throwing into coverage frequently when he is targeting Coleman. You are leaving too much to chance this way, and even though we should be able to expect Coleman to win most of these, how many interceptions could it also lead to? When the reduction of turnovers is something I think we all hope to see from Allen next season.

2. As good as his combine drills were, there is one player that I see that had a better score on (almost) all of them, and that is AD Mitchell. It bothers me quite a bit that we took Coleman over Mitchell. Mitchell is a much more polished receiver and can do the things that Coleman can do plus more. I believe he has a better chance to produce immediately at the NFL level, which is what we needed much more than a “development” player. We just lost our top two receivers. I understand that Coleman actually does add something that this offense was missing, I just think there was a much better option. 

I guess I just wanted to see the Bills draft a dynamic receiver that could be targeted at every level of the field, and I am not sure if Coleman can ever be that type of player. 

That said, I am definitely willing to give him a chance, and like others, I hope I am wrong about him. 

I also hope I am wrong about Mitchell.

Mitchell had multiple red flags…otherwise he would not have lasted at long as he did. I’m guessing he was off Beane’s board entirely.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Here are a few thoughts.   I've only watch Coleman highlight reels and read a variety of posts here.  I admit to being too dumb to find Happy Days' posts here, but apparently he's been on the Coleman bandwagon.  Here are my thoughts:

1.  I continue to believe that people here have their own ideas about what the Bills need at wideout, and that's why there's so much disappointment.  All that means is that the Bills were looking for someone different than what all those people believe.  And I'll continue to say that the Bills know more about this than any of us. 

2.  Having said that, I don't see exactly how they expect Coleman to fit in.  I imagined a guy with more speed and more shiftiness.  I can see why people say he looks like a Davis replacement.  

3.  However, I see more than Davis.  I always thought Davis's weakness was catching in a crowd, and Coleman look a whole lot better at than than Davis.  I get that if I looked at all of his film, I'd see plenty of contested drops, but still, I like the way Coleman positions his body to screen defenders.   And the one-handed catch is something Davis could only dream of.   

4.  I also like the punt returns.   Not that the guy is going to return punts for the Bills, but there's a lot of ball carrying skill on display there.  That should translate into some yards after catch.  

5.  Okay.  Get out the flamethrowers.   Here's what I see in Coleman:  Mike Evans lite.  A tad slower, a tad smaller, but a guy who despite having great measureables, has skills that combine to make a really tough receiver.   He's young - 20 - must turn 21 this year - and he'll add some bulk.  I think in the red zone, he'll pair nicely with Kincaid and Knox as big targets.  I think he'll work as a possession receiver.  I think he will get deep sometimes, and we'll be scratching our heads about how he was fast enough to do that.   All of which was what I thought about Mike Evans until, after about five years, I had to admit that the guy is just a damn fine receiver, even if he doesn't fit a classic mold.  

Coleman is a bit of project, but I love the upside.   

I hope that’s right.  I’m rooting for him in spite of my critical posts about him.  Heck, I hope he becomes one of my favorite players.

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He could end up being better than that,  but I can also see him being a guy who makes a handful of highlight reel receptions on 40 catches for 400 yards.  

Just now, billieve420 said:

Still think we need a burner on the opposite side of the field. Guy who can take the top off and complement Coleman.

They do need speed and there isn’t a lot left unless they want to take a chance on Franklin or Walker.  I’m not enamored with them, but in round 4 they are at least fast with some chance.

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

More like 2 games, LSU and Syracuse.  The guy was MIA for the last half of the season. I don't question his athleticism, but the production isn't there. I assumed these comparisons to Hopkins and Evans are tongue-in-cheek jokes.

Thank you for a sober post and a legitimate concern.

I don't watch Florida State football (or any college football) so in evaluating Coleman's production it's fair to question Florida State's offense, their passing offense, their QB, and who the other receiving options were.

After reading a bunch of reviews of Coleman & watching highlights I am loving this pick.

First is the simple fact that the guy is a very big WR.  This is more important to the Bills then straight speed.  We haven't had a big WR for years.

Second Coleman is still young and so has the potential to get a lot better.

Third, the reviews were mostly positive: 2 A's, 4 B's and 1 C-.

Fourth, the guy is a TD machine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1