Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

13 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

He was excellent at MSU and had a ton of interest when he decided to transfer. He went to a Spartans BB game earlier this year wearing an Izzo jersey. He talks fondly about MSU and the MSU alum I know speak very highly of him. My closest friend texted me about him right away. Said he was one of the best athletes at WR he had seen play there. I said better than Plaxico? He said Plaxico isn't close.

He has a chance to be special.  

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/2024/03/07/keon-coleman-michigan-state-basketball-msu-transfer-spartans-wr-florida-state/72883166007/

Lack of foot speed a real issue.  Great hands and body control but he was blanketed by a DB in every catch on that highlight reel.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Lack of foot speed a real issue.  Great hands and body control but he was blanketed by a DB in every catch on that highlight reel.  

His foot speed is excellent for a WR his size. It’s his route running he needs to work on. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Commish said:

Bills winter coats are 20% off with the code "Keon20" - pretty funny, although I doubt Keon would lay out $325 for a Bills down coat, even with the discount:

https://shop.buffalobills.com/collections/buffalo-bills-winter-jackets?utm_source=Referral&utm_medium=Partner-+Website&utm_campaign=Coleman+Jackets

yeah the only people buying those are the ones that can afford PSLs!!! ;)

• Haha (+1) 2

Happy to see him working on his footwork in that workout video being floated around.  Imo he has the body control fluidity to develop his route running.  He does that he the ability to be top wr.  Plus explosiveness and plus at the catch point.  Plus with the ball in his hands.  As many have detracted is his separation.  Crisper routes solve that issue.  I could see him being an immediate improvement over Gabe and potential to have a rookie of the year level season.   

• Like (+1) 2

I'm pretty sure this video was posted already, but I just wanted to highlight the last play they go over.

It's a quick bubble screen and he does a great job of seeing the defenders while making a tough catch and then darting up field. He kind of reminds me of Shakir in that he seems to be aware of what's going on all around him and has that quick processing ability.

Screens have been pretty blah over the years with this team, hopefully his short area quickness, large target, good hands, and blocking can all help when they throw screens to him or whomever.

I like the Tee Higgins comparison. I remember a game where he bodied and defender at the goal line, caught it at like the 1 and then got in for a TD. We've had guys with size, but very little "grown man" plays like that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Bye Diggs! 👋 I love stuff like this (and the sticker over the yard sign), but boy do I really hope he can play. He’ll be a huge star if he can also play with all the fanfare he’s already received just from being himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Happy to see him working on his footwork in that workout video being floated around.  Imo he has the body control fluidity to develop his route running.  He does that he the ability to be top wr.  Plus explosiveness and plus at the catch point.  Plus with the ball in his hands.  As many have detracted is his separation.  Crisper routes solve that issue.  I could see him being an immediate improvement over Gabe and potential to have a rookie of the year level season.   

That would be so great!

• Like (+1) 1

This guy is the physical WR we have wanted. He seems totally comfortable being bodied up with DB's. Probably from his basketball background where separation really isn't a thing.  I do wonder if he will need to adjust some of his push offs at the point of the catch. But officials aren't going to throw a flag on every one. Heck, they let Higgins get away with a massive push off in the Super Bowl a few years back. 

I don't know if it was next gen stats that posted it? But if your just Looking at Keon's 40 yard dash then its a huge mistake. 

His Slant, Dagger, Go and Slot Strike were all top 5 in speeds...

What do you do when you don't have a true #1 WR? (yet)

You plug in a variety of different types of WR's. You do not limit yourself to a WR that can only live on the sidelines (Davis)

But what you do have is a bunch of WR's that can run anywhere on the field... No one WR does long routs all day... No one WR lives in the middle of the field

all day...  You use your WR's by mixing it up. Each WR runs deeper rounds just a few times a game making the defense have to defend the big field.

Now Brady has had the time to develop a playbook to fit what he wants to see on the field. Some think we run more this year than last year... TBH.. I don't see that.

Play DESIGN is everything.. This year don't expect 3 players.. when the ball is thrown to be all within 8 yards of each other... 

We will force the defense to defend a "Bigger Field" This year. 

Coleman himself can do a variety of things for us.. The corner of endzone jump ball, getting perfect body leverage, live inside and outside. 

THAT DEFINES the type of wr's we have on this squad. 

Add what Shakir and Samuel does with their speed.. to what Coleman does... Then you have to worry about Kincaid... and oh yea.. Dawson Knox... he is pretty good TE as well... 

I CANT WAIT to see what this WR squad can do...

The other thing I want to talk about is QB rout progressions... how a QB is supposed to read through his progressions.. When you have a #1 WR... I don't give a flying hoot what JA rout progressions were... For the first half of last year... it was on Diggs to often.. and it hurt his timing.. Now Josh Allen can do what hes naturally supposed to do. Its what made Mahomes more dangerous when they dropped Hill.. as a defender... you could not concentrate on just one person. 

That is kind of what we are doing right now..  The difference is? Our TE is young.. his is getting old. 

Sorry for the long read. I tried to break this up the best i could.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Coleman himself can do a variety of things for us.. The corner of endzone jump ball, getting perfect body leverage, live inside and outside. 

It's funny - while he's the right type of receiver for it, I'm loathe to see the Bills increase their use of end zone fades. One of my least favorite plays in football. 

Anyway, I'm also excited to see Coleman Samuel and Shakir out there. WR depth worries me more than the starters. 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I'm beginning to think Keon made be the most over scrutinized draft pick ever other than a QB. 

Over-emphasized is how I would put it.    The Bills have created this scenario where the guy is basically REPLACING Diggs in the eyes of fans and media this year.   Now if they acquire a WR1 after June 1 I think Coleman then becomes a standard day 2 draft pick with lot's of room to breathe/develop.   Which he needs because he is raw, IMO.   Hard for fans to replace something as important to them as Diggs with nothing though.   

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Over-emphasized is how I would put it.    The Bills have created this scenario where the guy is basically REPLACING Diggs in the eyes of fans and media this year.   Now if they acquire a WR1 after June 1 I think Coleman then becomes a standard day 2 draft pick with lot's of room to breathe/develop.   Which he needs because he is raw, IMO.   Hard for fans to replace something as important to them as Diggs with nothing though.   

Agree in a way with diggs.  Coleman is raw. Wait and see mode here.But diggs playoff stats are horrible.  Found some place copy and paste. This person said.

"What REALLY matters is how many TD's in the playoffs.

It cannot be repeated enough that Stefon Diggs was **** in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY in every one of the four loses during his time here.

In NINE playoff games Diggs had TWO TD's.

In the four playoff losses, Diggs had ZERO TD's. His stats for those four games is beyond ****ty.

35 targets

16 catches (45.71%)

140 yards

35 yards average per game

ZERO TD

In Diggs full seven year career, and in 14 total playoff games, he has only FOUR TD catches.

For comparison sake, Travis Kelce in his nine year career, and 22 playoff games has NINETEEN TD catches. 81.7% catch %. 86.6 average yards per game"

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree in a way with diggs.  Coleman is raw. Wait and see mode here.But diggs playoff stats are horrible.  Found some place copy and paste. This person said.

"What REALLY matters is how many TD's in the playoffs.

It cannot be repeated enough that Stefon Diggs was **** in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY in every one of the four loses during his time here.

In NINE playoff games Diggs had TWO TD's.

In the four playoff losses, Diggs had ZERO TD's. His stats for those four games is beyond ****ty.

35 targets

16 catches (45.71%)

140 yards

35 yards average per game

ZERO TD

In Diggs full seven year career, and in 14 total playoff games, he has only FOUR TD catches.

For comparison sake, Travis Kelce in his nine year career, and 22 playoff games has NINETEEN TD catches. 81.7% catch %. 86.6 average yards per game"

Yeah I have been advocating for WR's whose game translates better to the playoffs but if Coleman's career with elite Josh Allen at QB starts out like Davante Adams' career with elite Aaron Rodgers at QB.......where he averages just under 3 catches and 30 yards per game for this first couple seasons after being a second round pick himself............then someone else will have to be producing to GET them to the playoffs.   When I say "raw" I mean I am not sure he is poised to be very effective early in his career.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I have been advocating for WR's whose game translates better to the playoffs but if Coleman's career with elite Josh Allen at QB starts out like Davante Adams' career with elite Aaron Rodgers at QB.......where he averages just under 3 catches and 30 yards per game for this first couple seasons after being a second round pick himself............then someone else will have to be producing to GET them to the playoffs.   When I say "raw" I mean I am not sure he is poised to be very effective early in his career.

He also had Jordy Nelson & Cobb in front of him. I think he'll be a lot more like Rashee Rice's rookie year (slowly increase workload, end up with 800+ yards) than Davante's.

ON THE FIELD I MEAN. ON THE FIELD 

Edited by MiracleAtRich1393
  • Haha (+1) 1