Brand Beane Press Conf 4/18

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/your-team-has-to-evolve-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-speaks-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills

Take aways:

1. I do not think Beane is even thinking about moving into the top 10 to get one of the big 3 WR. 
    1. He said he would take any call, but he also said teams in the top 10 don't generally call teams down at 28.  
    2. When asked about him calling them, he mocked them even wanting to take his call and made it clear he hasn't called them.  
    3. Worth noting as well, Bills have no reported visits or meetings with MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  We did reportedly meet once with Thomas.  
    4. He is not a fan at all of moving a future first, which I will cover in comments below.  
  2. I think he made it pretty clear as well that we are not going to be trading for a proven guy such as Aiyuk or Higgins as many have been wanting.  
    1. Specifically said when we traded for Stef, Allen was an ascending player and the offense needed a guy like that.  
    2. But that now with Allen ascended to the player he is, that is not a requirement and not necessary.
  3. He made it clear he is very comfortable making a small trade up to make sure he can get the guy he covets.  So if there is one he wants where a small move up to go get him is on the table, I think he will pull that trigger. 
  4. He also made it very clear he really does NOT want to move next years 1st, but did admit he would if the deal made sense to do it.  
    1. Referenced regretting those kind of moves in the next draft when they did them in Carolina when the next draft came and the guy they gave up that first didn't really get them over the top.
  5. He also doesn't plan to move the 2nd we got for Diggs, but wouldn't rule it out if they felt the right deal was there.  
  6. Between Josh, McD and Beane interviews, I think it was pretty clear they have a lot of confidence in the core of Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook.  It is clear we are going after a WR in first 2 rounds, but I would not expect us to go back to back WR or take 2 early as some around here have suggested.  If we take a 2nd one, I would expect it later like rounds 4 and on.  
  7. Beane made it clear that trading back is very much in play at 28 and pointed out if they couldn't get Kincaid they had a real good trade back worked out he really liked.  
  8. Also added he would love to add someone on the DL that can contribute this season.  
    1. While he said it could be in the first, would have to see what is there at 28 in general, but went on to say he sees guys outside the first in this draft that can come in and contribute this year.

So what I came away with is that I think there is very little chance we are making a move to get MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  It was also clear it was just as unlikely we are going after someone like Aiyuk, Higgins, etc either.  And that has been my belief all along as well.  

While I wouldn't say that anything he said rules out moving up into the teens to get Thomas (like say Jags at 17), I think it's a low possibility he goes up outside the 20's.  The thing that most often stuck out was the reluctance on using high future picks to move up.  I think Beane really likes the idea of having a first and two 2nd's next year and really prefers not trading them.   And I do think that trading back is a very strong possibility for us to try and get a 3rd this year or maybe even a third 2nd for next year.

All in all this was a good listen...and Beane has a track record for being pretty straight forward and candid on these things, so I think he is shooting pretty straight with his comments like he always has. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 17

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If he is speaking the truth… I find it interesting that he hasn’t spoken to the Top 10 teams yet …. Nothing wrong with at least asking the price … 

It definitely came across pretty authentic if you watch the whole interview and I think it’s because he knows for a team to move back to 28 is going to cost a lot as teams won’t have a lot of interest to move back that far, if any at all.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If he is speaking the truth… I find it interesting that he hasn’t spoken to the Top 10 teams yet …. Nothing wrong with at least asking the price … 

If true,  it might suggest that they really like one or more WRs outside of those top 3 and don't need to trade up that far to accomplish their goals. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for your thoughts. 

On the one hand, some will say "it's lying season!" and "smokescreen!", and they're not entirely wrong. On the other hand, Beane has shown himself to be very honest and blunt over the years when he does these types of press conferences, and saying that there's nothing meaningful to be gained from listening to what he says ignores the evidence to the contrary that has piled up over the years.

Regarding a small trade-up, I'll say this:

The random report from Andrew Filiponi a few days ago that the Bills and Steelers swapping 1st round picks was "something to watch out for" raised my eyebrows.

It wouldn't be cost prohibitive for the Bills, it would match the M.O. of a modest round 1 trade-up that we all know Beane seems to love, and if I'm not mistaken, the Steelers need a center, and they could still likely get a JPJ or Graham Barton at 28.

If a Brian Thomas Jr or Cooper DeJean (or whomever they like) is sitting there at 20, it won't shock me one bit if this trade comes to fruition on draft night.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/your-team-has-to-evolve-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-speaks-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills

Take aways:

1. I do not think Beane is even thinking about moving into the top 10 to get one of the big 3 WR. 
    1. He said he would take any call, but he also said teams in the top 10 don't generally call teams down at 28.  
    2. When asked about him calling them, he mocked them even wanting to take his call and made it clear he hasn't called them.  
    3. Worth noting as well, Bills have no reported visits or meetings with MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  We did reportedly meet once with Thomas.  
    4. He is not a fan at all of moving a future first, which I will cover in comments below.  
  2. I think he made it pretty clear as well that we are not going to be trading for a proven guy such as Aiyuk or Higgins as many have been wanting.  
    1. Specifically said when we traded for Stef, Allen was an ascending player and the offense needed a guy like that.  
    2. But that now with Allen ascended to the player he is, that is not a requirement and not necessary.
  3. He made it clear he is very comfortable making a small trade up to make sure he can get the guy he covets.  So if there is one he wants where a small move up to go get him is on the table, I think he will pull that trigger. 
  4. He also made it very clear he really does NOT want to move next years 1st, but did admit he would if the deal made sense to do it.  
    1. Referenced regretting those kind of moves in the next draft when they did them in Carolina when the next draft came and the guy they gave up that first didn't really get them over the top.
  5. He also doesn't plan to move the 2nd we got for Diggs, but wouldn't rule it out if they felt the right deal was there.  
  6. Between Josh, McD and Beane interviews, I think it was pretty clear they have a lot of confidence in the core of Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook.  It is clear we are going after a WR in first 2 rounds, but I would not expect us to go back to back WR or take 2 early as some around here have suggested.  If we take a 2nd one, I would expect it later like rounds 4 and on.  
  7. Beane made it clear that trading back is very much in play at 28 and pointed out if they couldn't get Kincaid they had a real good trade back worked out he really liked.  
  8. Also added he would love to add someone on the DL that can contribute this season.  
    1. While he said it could be in the first, would have to see what is there at 28 in general, but went on to say he sees guys outside the first in this draft that can come in and contribute this year.

So what I came away with is that I think there is very little chance we are making a move to get MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  It was also clear it was just as unlikely we are going after someone like Aiyuk, Higgins, etc either.  And that has been my belief all along as well.  

While I wouldn't say that anything he said rules out moving up into the teens to get Thomas (like say Jags at 17), I think it's a low possibility he goes up outside the 20's.  The thing that most often stuck out was the reluctance on using high future picks to move up.  I think Beane really likes the idea of having a first and two 2nd's next year and really prefers not trading them.   And I do think that trading back is a very strong possibility for us to try and get a 3rd this year or maybe even a third 2nd for next year.

All in all this was a good listen...and Beane has a track record for being pretty straight forward and candid on these things, so I think he is shooting pretty straight with his comments like he always has. 

JMO, if Beane is willing to part with the Diggs 2nd rounder.....then, possible trade teams at top of 2nd:

1. Car: I've outlined in other posts what I think is best

2. Ari: a team with two 3rds, we could give up #60, 2025 2nd, both 4ths, and our highest 5th.  For- their 2nd, one of their 3rd rounders, and their 4th

To your point on DL, that gives us a chance to land someone at top of 2nd, such as Fiske.  Beane I think considers that or if Darius is still there.

Say we do that with Ari:

1st: WR- Worthy or Franklin

Ari 2nd: Fiske

Ari 3rd: Best safety remaining

Ari 4th: RB or DE or WR

Might be a pipedream but draft value would be close.  That would hit our key needs and give us impact guys at WR, DL, and S/RB

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m pretty certain Beane knows the price, and he isn’t paying it, just sayin.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It definitely came across pretty authentic if you watch the whole interview and I think it’s because he knows for a team to move back to 28 is going to cost a lot as teams won’t have a lot of interest to move back that far, if any at all.  

Yes ..-I  watched the interview … I got the feeling he doesn’t want to give up the 1 next year .., which would presumably remove any possibility of a Top 10 trade up…

Just now, Don Otreply said:

I’m pretty certain Beane knows the price, and he isn’t paying it, just sayin.  

Yes .. like I said above … he ain’t getting there without giving up his 1 in 2025 which he didn’t seem happy about doing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

If Marshawn Kneeland is available round 1 I think that is who we will pick and it's going to piss a lot of people off. Beane just doesn't seem to value WR's at a high rate. 

That would definitely piss a lot of people off,  for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

If Marshawn Kneeland is available round 1 I think that is who we will pick and it's going to piss a lot of people off. Beane just doesn't seem to value WR's at a high rate. 

It will piss me off because I don’t think he is a first round talent 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting that when he discussed WR traits he mentioned YAC. It wasn't in reference to any specific guy but I sense that's important, especially given how little YAC Bills WRs have had the past few years.

This comment/concept combined with more I read about Mitchell the less I think he's in play. Legette over Mitchell if we pick at 28 or in the 2nd. Not where I was a few weeks ago, but that's my uneducated guess.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

Interesting that when he discussed WR traits he mentioned YAC. It wasn't in reference to any specific guy but I sense that's important, especially given how little YAC Bills WRs have had the past few years.

This comment/concept combined with more I read about Mitchell the less I think he's in play. Legette over Mitchell if we pick at 28 or in the 2nd. Not where I was a few weeks ago, but that's my uneducated guess.

Ladd McConkey.  Aside from the speed, quickness,  and route running,  he's also very good after the catch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 5

They target arm length and wingspan at the position. Groot and AJ were in the top 3 DE's in that category, both in the high 80 and 90th percentile in that category. It wasn't by some accident.

Kneeland is this year and they already hosted him for a visit in Buffalo. So as much as I would also hate this pick I don't think it's very far fetched. We have shown it's a position we will invest heavily in. We have need. We have shown interest in Kneeland and his profile is similar to two players we drafted prior. Don't shoot the messenger.

image.png.8f01dd8e52d80e767058f424dade1a30.png

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ladd McConkey.  Aside from the speed, quickness,  and route running,  he's also very good after the catch. 

I like McConkey a lot. He really stepped up when Bowers went down. I think he can do a lot of things for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

They target arm length and wingspan at the position. Groot and AJ were in the top 3 DE's in that category, both in the high 80 and 90th percentile in that category. It wasn't by some accident.

Kneeland is this year and they already hosted him for a visit in Buffalo. So as much as I would also hate this pick I don't think it's very far fetched. We have shown it's a position we will invest heavily in. We have need. We have shown interest in Kneeland and his profile is similar to two players we drafted prior. Don't shoot the messenger.

It’s possible they can take him later right? 
He will be there a bit.. like AJ ended up 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

It’s possible they can take him later right? 
He will be there a bit

I hope. Lots of reports have him inching into the late first round right now. It's a risk in my opinion. Especially if the juicy WR's are largely off the board. 

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

I hope. Lots of reports have him inching into the late first round right now. It's a risk in my opinion. Especially if the juicy WR's are largely off the board. 

Meh … I’ve seen a couple … most notably Brugler got him at 32 on his board ..

Most I see have still got him mid second at best 

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

A week before the draft, don't believe anything.

Generally speaking, you're right.  But it doesn't mean Beane is lying.  Clearly, he's not going to share his board with the media.  But it seems like he's decided there's no harm in talking about generalities in regard to his draft philosophy this year.  He was sufficiently vague that he didn't give any other teams an advantage.  

We were left with some hints about what he won't do but very few about what he will do.  He gave enough clues to get the mafia's cerebral juices flowing without giving away anything definitive.   And my cerebral juices tell me Alpha is right and Beane's not moving into the top 10.  If that's right, it's not a surprise given our lack of trade capital.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I think there is no chance Kneeland is the pick for the Bills in the first.  In the 2nd, yes.  Not in the first.  

1. Beane literally said while he has more first round grades on players this year than last years weak draft, he specifically stated its still less than 28 players.  There is no way Kneeland is one of his first round graded players that probably is around 20 to 22 players.
  2. He also said while he would take someone on the DL at 28, it would really depend on who is there and that he feels good about getting one outside the first round.  Meaning maybe if one of the top 3 guys get there who are expected to go earlier he would consider it...he isn't talking about Kneeland IMHO.

While I am all for them taking Kneeland later, I do not at all think its remotely possible it would be at 28.  But, thats just my opinion, anything is possible.  But that would be an absolute shock to probably just about everyone as he is currently a round 2 or 3 guy in just about everyones eyes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I like McConkey a lot. He really stepped up when Bowers went down. I think he can do a lot of things for us. 

You're making a case for Kneeland in the second. They're not taking him at #28. Taking everything that's been said, I think the possibility of McConkey has gone up, which is fine by me.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Generally speaking, you're right.  But it doesn't mean Beane is lying.  Clearly, he's not going to share his board with the media.  But it seems like he's decided there's no harm in talking about generalities in regard to his draft philosophy this year.  He was sufficiently vague that he didn't give any other teams an advantage.  

We were left with some hints about what he won't do but very few about what he will do.  He gave enough clues to get the mafia's cerebral juices flowing without giving away anything definitive.   And my cerebral juices tell me Alpha is right and Beane's not moving into the top 10.  If that right, it's not a surprise given our lack of trade capital.  

I don't believe Beane is moving into the top 10 nor should he, I was only saying that I don't believe Beane or any NFL GM this time of year. None of them want to give away what they're planning or hoping to do, that would be foolish.

• Agree 1

Beane and every GM may sound forthcoming and honest - but this is a business. Believe it when I see it mentality should be ruled. I do not think he is moving up, unless it is to 19 at highest. I think we stay put at 28 and take best DE/DT possible. Then we take a WR in 2nd or a Safety if one of the top guys is there. Lame you say? Just watch. We win by building the D and especially the D line. We desperately need a pass rush.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

A week before the draft, don't believe anything.

Well I don't think you listened to the interview.  None of the stuff discussed are things that would be misleading teams, being tricky, etc.  He was talking the way he always does and the things he was saying are pretty spot on with his time here.  

People tend to throw this blanket statement out about everything a GM says as if everything they say has some impact on how the draft will fall.  None of what they said has any impact really on the draft.  

And Beane has proven to be pretty honest in the past with the kind of things he was saying today.  So I think to disregard it as just "draft smokesreens" is really ignoring Beane's history.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

One of the great things about Beane is that he lies his assoff.......but fans still think he's "usually pretty straight forward".

The key is setting expectations low.  

It's not complicated..........but some GM's just can't do it.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I don't believe Beane is moving into the top 10 nor should he, I was only saying that I don't believe Beane or any NFL GM this time of year. None of them want to give away what they're planning or hoping to do, that would be foolish.

As I mentioned above, I don't think you listened to the interview because no where in the interview did he indicate anything they plan to do.  I get what you are saying, I am just saying it doesn't really apply here in that way based on the subjects of conversation.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Take aways:

Incoming CB round one

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1. I think he made it pretty clear as well that we are not going to be trading for a proven guy such as Aiyuk or Higgins as many have been wanting.  
    2. But that now with Allen ascended to the player he is, that is not a requirement and not necessary

Dawg - My interpretation of what he said about his different from yours.   I'm not predicting a move to get one of those guys, but I don't think he suggested he wouldn't do it.  

As you say, he did say that when he made the deal for Diggs, he was looking for help for Allen, because Brown and Beasley couldn't carry the offense.  And yes, he said that he doesn't have to make a move like that now, because Allen has progressed.  But he also didn't say, and I don't think he implied, that he wouldn't acquire a receiver by trading a draft pick.

He also was clear that he'd like to have a true number 1 guy.   He just said that the Bills no longer need the guy to support Allen in that way.  

Beyond that, it's clear that he intends to add to the receiver room.   From that, I think the correct conclusion is that Beane is going to do what he's always done - survey the options and make a decision.   Just as he did with Diggs, if the best option is to package his first with other assets to get a proven wide out, he'll do it.   He might trade up, he might stick, he might trade down, and he might get his receiver by making a deal. 

If the 49ers are listening to trade offers, they may be finding that they can't get the compensation they hoped (because of what it will cost for his new team to keep him), they might like the idea of getting a first round pick and moving Aiyuk out of the NFC.   If that's the conclusion they're coming to, I don't think Beane said anything today that would preclude his making a move with them.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

It’s time to think differently since we’ve gotten zero pass rush impact from the 3 power-DEs we’ve spent high picks on (AJ, Groot, Boogie). If we want a tweener or someone to set the edge in round 3…. Fine. Don’t waste the pick on it before then.

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

He said most conversations will happen next week 

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Dawg - My interpretation of what he said about his different from yours.   I'm not predicting a move to get one of those guys, but I don't think he suggested he wouldn't do it.  

As you say, he did say that when he made the deal for Diggs, he was looking for help for Allen, because Brown and Beasley couldn't carry the offense.  And yes, he said that he doesn't have to make a move like that now, because Allen has progressed.  But he also didn't say, and I don't think he implied, that he wouldn't acquire a receiver by trading a draft pick.

He also was clear that he'd like to have a true number 1 guy.   He just said that the Bills no longer need the guy to support Allen in that way.  

Beyond that, it's clear that he intends to add to the receiver room.   From that, I think the correct conclusion is that Beane is going to do what he's always done - survey the options and make a decision.   Just as he did with Diggs, if the best option is to package his first with other assets to get a proven wide out, he'll do it.   He might trade up, he might stick, he might trade down, and he might get his receiver by making a deal. 

If the 49ers are listening to trade offers, they may be finding that they can't get the compensation they hoped (because of what it will cost for his new team to keep him), they might like the idea of getting a first round pick and moving Aiyuk out of the NFC.   If that's the conclusion they're coming to, I don't think Beane said anything today that would preclude his making a move with them.  

To be clear I did not at all say he wouldn't do anything.  I definitely wasn't saying he wouldn't go get a WR, and he was very clear he intends to go get a WR.  

What I was actually saying is that its pretty clear that moving to the top 10, at least as of now, to get one of the top 3 seems highly unlikely between what he would have to get up and teams even being willing to move that far down in the first place.  

And if you put together all his statements, I think its pretty clear a guy like Aiyuk is very unlikely.  He said multiple things about now wanting to give up the picks, cap considerations, and Josh not being a place where he feels that is necessary move to make.  I mean, all of these are open to interpretations, so doesn't mean I am right...but IMHO its pretty clear that he doesn't have his mind on trading for a proven guy.  And the DeVonta deal for $25m per for a WR2 is going to jack the price up even higher for someone like Aiyuk.  So I think it has almost no chance of happening.  Just my 2 cents though.  I woudln't be surprised if he looked into it or if the Niners called Beane though.

He was very adamant about not being afraid to move up, but he was referencing more of those smaller move ups that don't cost future first round picks.  Now he did say he would trade his first if the deal made sense, and I believe him.  But to make sense, I think he needs to really covet that player.  So would he go get Thomas?  Maybe, they met with him once, so they at least showed interest.  But I think 20 or later is the spot where that comes into play, where they can do it and probably not have to give up next years first.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He said most conversations will happen next week 

Yeah I heard him say that …guess that’s fine for looking to find a partner to move up two spots in Round 1 for  a fourth … if you are secretly in love with one of the Top 3, than I would have thought  moving most of this years and next years quality draft assets to move up to the Top 10 might be a more serious consideration than beginning discussions 2-3 days beforehand… 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Take aways:

Great summary, Thanks for this.

I will say, I think Beane was trying a little too hard to persuade everyone that he thinks the WR room is just fine and we'll be casually looking to add another piece or two at some point in the future, not anxiously perusing the draft board for guys who have "WR" listed for position as our draft picks approach.

But I agree with you that all signs point to "disinclined to make a big splash to move up to the top-10"

I thought it was interesting that Beane mentioned "guys who are already on the roster" contributing at WR and made an analogy to Terrell Bernard who had to "prove it" that he could step up.  Khalil, after the end of the season, I think has left no doubt he can play in the league although as a #1 or #2 is a good question.

Does anyone think he might have been referring to Justin Shorter, last year's 5th round pick?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yeah I heard him say that …guess that’s fine for looking to find a partner to move up two spots in Round 1 for  a fourth … if you are secretly in love with one of the Top 3, than I would have thought  moving most of this years and next years quality draft assets to move up to the Top 10 might be a more serious consideration than beginning discussions 2-3 days beforehand… 

Keep in mind that Beane can be very specific about what he says - and while I think he tells the truth, it's not necessarily the whole truth.

He said "he hadn't called" any of the guys in the top-10.  I'm sure that's the truth.

It may not be the whole truth.  It doesn't rule out discussions at the Sr Bowl, Combine, or NFL Annual Meeting.  I would bet Beane knows very well what would be wanted for one of the top 10 draft choices to move all the way back to 28, from such discussions, and he knows it's a price he isn't inclined to pay.

I think the more cogent point is that he mentioned stockpiling resources when he knew they were going to be trying to draft a QB - things like trading Cordy Glenn to move up from 21 to 12.  The only thing Beane has done that could remotely be considered in that light, is trading Diggs, and it's not for much (2025 2nd)

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Take aways:

I’agree with most of your takeaways, but I don’t believe Beane as much as you do.  Like most GM’s at draft time he doesn’t reveal the teams true strategy.   They don’t call it “lying season” for nothing!

The way he downplayed the obvious need at WR, sounds almost identical to how he discussed the CB position before the 2022 draft.  

Also I remember at last year’s press conference he said something about the are pool being talented but that they were probably not drafting a TE.  

Plus, back in 2022 he said there would be no “big ticket” signings, right before signing the ultimate “big ticket” FA in Von Miller.  

I do think he was being truthful about not wanting to trade away future first round picks and I think the Thomas trade scenario you posed is the most likely. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’agree with most of your takeaways, but I don’t believe Beane as much as you do.  Like most GM’s at draft time he doesn’t reveal the teams true strategy.   They don’t call it “lying season” for nothing!

The way he downplayed the obvious need at WR, sounds almost identical to how he discussed the CB position before the 2022 draft.  

Also I remember at last year’s press conference he said something about the are pool being talented but that they were probably not drafting a TE.  

Plus, back in 2022 he said there would be no “big ticket” signings, right before signing the ultimate “big ticket” FA in Von Miller.  

I do think he was being truthful about not wanting to trade away future first round picks and I think the Thomas trade scenario you posed is the most likely. 

I don't remember last year's press conference as being so definite "probably not drafting a TE".

But yeah, I agree with your overarching theme.  I think Beane tells the truth (mostly), just not "the whole truth, and nothing but the truth".

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Great summary, Thanks for this.

I will say, I think Beane was trying a little too hard to persuade everyone that he thinks the WR room is just fine and we'll be casually looking to add another piece or two at some point in the future, not anxiously perusing the draft board for guys who have "WR" listed for position as our draft picks approach.

But I agree with you that all signs point to "disinclined to make a big splash to move up to the top-10"

I thought it was interesting that Beane mentioned "guys who are already on the roster" contributing at WR and made an analogy to Terrell Bernard who had to "prove it" that he could step up.  Khalil, after the end of the season, I think has left no doubt he can play in the league although as a #1 or #2 is a good question.

Does anyone think he might have been referring to Justin Shorter, last year's 5th round pick?

My main takeaway as well.  As I said in another post, it reminded me of the CB discussion in 2022 when he tried to talk up Dane Jackson as the solution. 

Shorter is the only WR on the roster from last season, so it has to be him - unless he was referring to Shakir truly having a big season.  

• Like (+1) 1

We have the strongest WR draft class in years, we NEED WRs, we have a great QB at his peak, and Diggs is gone and we also said we needed a blazer before he left. If we come out of this draft without taking one of the top guys or two it will be colossal failure. You win with offense in this league and we need to outscore the other top QBs in the AFC. Defense just needs to be adequate and not a complete sieve.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower