Trade Targets for Bills (WR)

Now that Diggs is in Houston, WR is an especially big hole on this team. I'm personally in favor of utilizing the draft to shore this position up. Trading up for an elite guy (the most unrealistic option) such as Nabers, would be my ideal option, but even moving up a few picks into the early 20's for a Brian Thomas Jr. or AD Mitchell would work. 

However - would anyone be interested in the Bills trading for an established player and allowing the draft to fall to them? If so, what WR's do you think would be possible, productive, and available?

My vote would be Davante Adams. Per Spotrac he has a cap hit of just under 17 mil and an out in his contract after this season (voidable years I believe) that would help with the comp pick formula. Adams doesn't want to go through a rebuild with the Raiders (I'm in Vegas and this is a known "rumor") and wants to finally win. championship. Thoughts on this or any other WRs?

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, RunninRebel37 said:

Now that Diggs is in Houston, WR is an especially big hole on this team. I'm personally in favor of utilizing the draft to shore this position up. Trading up for an elite guy (the most unrealistic option) such as Nabers, would be my ideal option, but even moving up a few picks into the early 20's for a Brian Thomas Jr. or AD Mitchell would work. 

However - would anyone be interested in the Bills trading for an established player and allowing the draft to fall to them? If so, what WR's do you think would be possible, productive, and available?

My vote would be Davante Adams. Per Spotrac he has a cap hit of just under 17 mil and an out in his contract after this season (voidable years I believe) that would help with the comp pick formula. Adams doesn't want to go through a rebuild with the Raiders (I'm in Vegas and this is a known "rumor") and wants to finally win. championship. Thoughts on this or any other WRs?

He’s incredible but he’s 31. We need to think long term. 3-5 years at least. 

If we use up our picks and take on a huge contract it should be for someone younger like Jefferson or Aiyuk. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd rather target a player in his prime still on a rookie contract or with a reasonable 2nd contract that is outperforming it and their current team doesn't want to pay him.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Rebel, with what $ on Adams. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea if we had cap space.  We need an established WR and also trade up in the draft.  We basically have $10 mil. In June.  That’s why I suggested OBJ as we don’t have to trade for him, amd he wouldn’t be that expensive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Rebel, with what $ on Adams. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea if we had cap space.  We need an established WR and also trade up in the draft.  We basically have $10 mil. In June.  That’s why I suggested OBJ as we don’t have to trade for him, amd he wouldn’t be that expensive.

I would absolutely hate that idea.  He is not even an average wr. 1400 yds receiving with 11tds over the past 4 years combined is horrific. Any rookie especially in the first two rounds would surpass that. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we are looking for cost control.  

Agree. It's time to build up for that next run and the way you do that is by adding young talent through the draft at smaller contracts.

Why anyone would give up draft assets for a WR with this class staring them in the face is truly baffling. If WR is deemed that big a need..take 2 early.

Josh showed last year he no longer needs that big name target hog on the outside as a security blanket. He played his best football last year by being able to spread the ball around IMO. Lean into that. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Hadn't thought of D Adams.  Obviously would be excited but I think the addition of a WR that requires both a lot of draft capital and money is unlikely.  The others in this category J Jefferson/Aiyuk/and Higgins.  Getting one of these top WRs is great for 2024 but would hurt the fit/development/room of a rookie WR

FA Veterans, or those on a short term deal, would pair well with a young good rookie that I would like to see the Bills try ad draft.

Dhop shouldn't take much and could fit that description.  He could be paired with standing still at 28 and taking a WR that could take a year to take over.

OBJ as a veteran could come without draft capital, same with M Thomas - but those two are IMO worse than Diggs IMO.  They could be paired with a move up to get BTJ though.

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

I would absolutely hate that idea.  He is not even an average wr. 1400 yds receiving with 11tds over the past 4 years combined is horrific. Any rookie especially in the first two rounds would surpass that. 

He’s not that bad now. Watching him with the Ravens he would be a rich man’s Emmanuel Sanders circa 2021. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I’d rather get our guys from the draft but if we were to trade give me Aiyuk.

phenomenal route runner, fast/explosive and entering his prime.

But a new contract with him would be $25m+ a year deal and he would cost a 1st rounder at a minimum

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

He’s incredible but he’s 31. We need to think long term. 3-5 years at least. 

If we use up our picks and take on a huge contract it should be for someone younger like Jefferson or Aiyuk. 

I haven’t watched a ton of 49ers football, but Aiyuk doesn’t seem like someone who really takes a game over and dominates like Justin Jefferson. I could be wrong. But I would be disappointed if we gave a boatload of picks and a big contract up for someone like Aiyuk

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

He’s not that bad now. Watching him with the Ravens he would be a rich man’s Emmanuel Sanders circa 2021. 

Bills already signed a pair of aging journeymen 600 yard a season guys who will be around for a year.....

1 minute ago, VaMilBill said:

I haven’t watched a ton of 49ers football, but Aiyuk doesn’t seem like someone who really takes a game over and dominates like Justin Jefferson. I could be wrong. But I would be disappointed if we gave a boatload of picks and a big contract up for someone like Aiyuk

I actually agree. He strikes me as a mid-level WR1 who wants to be paid like a top level WR1. More of a McLaurin or Ridley level receiver. 

Better than anything we have now, but still. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Replace one prima donna with another?

• Thank you (+1) 1

No No and No too trading for any player over 30 and using precious draft capital and cap space on them.

Bills are hitting the second phase of Allen's career. Every decision they make needs to be about how do we maximize our window moving forward for the next 5 years with Allen. Not how do you desperately stay competitive year to year. Thats when teams crash and burn and can't fix their cap year to year holding on to and underperformed and injured older players. 

Now is the time to either double dip in the first two rounds of the most loaded receiver draft ever or trade for an established young receiver whose going to be an ascending asset for the next 5 to 6 seasons. A guy like Higgins or Aiyuk. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

He absolutely would. He plays on a offense that doesn't require him to and he isn't asked to because the Niners are loaded with offensive talent. Vikings are like the Diggs version of the Bills. They know if Jefferson isn't going theyre screwed so they need to feed him the ball. Good thing they got Addison.

If you traded for Aiyuk and drafted Xavier Legette you'd essentially would be replicating the Niners only you'd have Josh Allen and better oline. T. Williams is there only above avg. lineman.

Sure CMC, Kittle, Samuel would be better than Cook, Kincaid, and a hypothetical Legette but you'd also be adding Shakir and Samuel and you'd be much further ahead. The Bills have Allen which is the most difficult piece to get. The Bills could make this offense scary so fast. They really should be going full throttle to do this. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think it is going to be interesting to just see what Josh can do with some rookie talents on this team. I’m for the cost control wr and have at it that way. If it doesn’t seem to work…look at trading for a veteran next year or even at the deadline. It’s risking this season for sure but if we can strike big with a rookie this year it’s is huge for a cap and the next Super Bowl window with Josh 

• Like (+1) 3

I think we draft a guy (or two) and then potentially get involved with a Hopkins-type situation this summer if someone like that becomes available.

Im not sure I see us doing a Diggs trade all over again, but Aiyuk would be eerily similar.  

• Like (+1) 3