DeShawn Williams (DT) Expected To Sign With Bills

36 minutes ago, Process said:

Not sure what McBeane has against drafting DTs in later rounds. Bring in some young bodies with potential. He loves filling in the depth at DT with vets that end up being useless. 

One of their reported top 30 visits is a DT projected to go in the 6th round (Khristian Boyd out of Northern Iowa). I think Beane has finally learned his lesson after years of wasting money 3-4 players deep at the position. The savings from Jordan Phillips/Tim Settle to the depth DTs he has signed this offseason is probably enough to cover the year one salary of Curtis Samuel. Small philosophical changes at the bottom of the roster lead to more difference makers at the top of the roster.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

@4merper4mer

so are you saying you want to keep signing guys over the age of 30 and plug them into some of the most physical spots on a football team? 

The argument for more DT help isn’t my issue. We need bodies there. My issue is we went from one of the oldest teams in the league last year, to cutting a lot of aged players and being one of the younger teams just by addition by subtraction. And yet here we are getting older again with a lot of these free agents.
Hollins is over 30

Jones is over 32

Morrow is 28

Williams is 31

Austin Johnson (if he’s even signed I have seen confirmation yet) will be 30 by the time camp starts. 

They're one-year deals for depth purposes. The median age of NFL free agents is 28 years old... it is hard to get younger through free agency.

We have given out 5 multiyear deals so far this offseason to players with a median age of 27.6. The median age of all players that we've signed so far is 28. 

It's really not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah I’ve already said this multiple times. I don’t have a list. I’m not an nfl GM after all. The point is you can’t come out and say you want to get younger. And then go and pick up guys that are just as old as the ones you e released. 

I’ve also said it at least a dozen times. I don’t care what players are there. If you’re not getting a difference maker, just take an undrafted player that’s hungry, healthy, and driven and hope to get the best out of them. Save the little money you have and try and throw it at the few difference makers that are out there that might actually help you. If the response about this guy is only going to be a 4th or 5th DT anyway; then there’s no reason to spend the little money you have on a vet minimum or more, when you could find a rookie off the street (there will be plenty there after the draft) for less money. 

I don’t believe they will draft 2 at DT. One at best. And it might just be a 6-7th round pick. 

I think what youre missing is younger in regards to our big contracts.  Yes we still have the same average maybe but the cuts had bigger contracts than the people we replaced them with. 

Also "hope to get the best out of them" seems like a terrible plan.  I (and seemingly McBeane) would rather pay a bit more to get known quantities while were competing for a championship, that little bit of extra money will likely not move the needle for a difference maker.  if we were rebuilding then sure throw a UDFA out there (Levi Wallace), but now that were contending you need to not play a UDFA (if we can help it) that can be exposed.  Heck our 3rd rd LB got exposed by the giants and patriots and you wanna just hope for the best with a UDFA. 

We'll see about the draft but I think they will prioritize the trenches.  

2 hours ago, eball said:

Hi.  Welcome to The Stadium Wall.

I was literally thinking "Hey, a guy with a bit of production probably on a vet minimum contract. Won't affect the salary cap due to the rules. Worst case scenario he's a camp body. We'd have to really try to be upset about that"

And then some of us did.

37 minutes ago, mrags said:

I don’t believe they will draft 2 at DT. One at best. And it might just be a 6-7th round pick. 

Well, then they will be signing 3 more. They’ll bring AT LEAST 8 to camp of the 90. If this 31 year-old DT competing for the 5th or 6th DT, cheer for Ankou, draft pick(s) and rookie free agents.

57 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well they’ll draft 2 guys there. If you’re that concerned about the age of our 5th and 6th DTs (being under 31), advocate for Ankou and our 6th round pick over Williams.

Ankou will be 30 in June so he is also not young. I like the move. DT generally take some time to develop. Draft 1 if he beats this guy out for the 4th spot awesome Williams can be the 5th DT if he doesn’t at least you got a guy with starting experience. Ankou can go on the practice squad again and be available if there are injuries

12 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think what youre missing is younger in regards to our big contracts.  Yes we still have the same average maybe but the cuts had bigger contracts than the people we replaced them with. 

Also "hope to get the best out of them" seems like a terrible plan.  I (and seemingly McBeane) would rather pay a bit more to get known quantities while were competing for a championship, that little bit of extra money will likely not move the needle for a difference maker.  if we were rebuilding then sure throw a UDFA out there (Levi Wallace), but now that were contending you need to not play a UDFA (if we can help it) that can be exposed.  Heck our 3rd rd LB got exposed by the giants and patriots and you wanna just hope for the best with a UDFA. 

We'll see about the draft but I think they will prioritize the trenches.  

Yes and it's the reason why there isn't a single GM who has ever or will ever do that.  It's not a terrible plan, it's unrealistically bad.

The majority of your roster is going to be players under $3 million in base salary.  Its not just the McBeane, it's every single roster in the history of the NFL.

I think teams average about 2-3 UDFA making the 53 man roster.  And we want the majority of our roster being that??

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand the complaining about beane and the Panthers/Wash connections when it comes to players. I don't know how many of you hire people as part of your job, but I do. I gladly go with someone I know, or comes with a recommendation from someone else I trust over someone off the street I don't know much about other than their resume. It's a damn no-brainer. It's the sign of a good and responsible leader.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well, then they will be signing 3 more. They’ll bring AT LEAST 8 to camp of the 90. If this 31 year-old DT competing for the 5th or 6th DT, cheer for Ankou, draft pick(s) and rookie free agents.

Okay, then he shouldn’t be cheering for Ankou either. He should be cheering for the draft pick(s) and UDFAs then to be DTs 5 and (maybe) 6. If we are out on Ankou & Williams competing for the 5th and (maybe) 6th spots because they are 30 & 31. We should probably have a separate thread on “What to look for in a 6th defensive tackle.”

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, henry jones said:

Come on people.  You’re not going to find an All-Pro free agent that signs a league minimum contract.  They need camp bodies and depth at all positions.

As I said earlier, the key variable right now is that the free agent has to be CHEAP. So the universe of potential signings is down to players who’re 25-29 and have probably been close to a bust off of their rookie contract, and players who’re 29 and over who at least some point were considered good to decent. Without any money to spend, those are your choices.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

There are more factors to signing a player than just what you see on tape. Beane has friends inside the Panthers he trusts, which is why the Bills sign players from the Panthers. Just because the Panthers are a bad team, doesn't mean every player coming from them is worthless.

The average NFL career is 3.3 years.  An average NFL player, during his short tenure in the league, will play for 2.4 teams.  Roughly 1 in 7 players will sign with Carolina at some point.

There are 32 teams each with a 53-man roster.  1,696 players start the season on a 53-man roster.  But those rosters change and evolve over the course of the long season.  Let's estimate that 2,100 different players are on NFL rosters at some point during a season.  Roughly 300 will have Carolina somewhere on their resumes.  When Beane goes shopping, there are a lot of ex-Panthers to choose from.

Additionally, a vet with more than 3 years of NFL experience will rotate typically rotate through more than 2.4 teams.  Williams, for example, has been on 6 professional football rosters including a short stint with the Stampeders.    Our old friend, Fitz, played on 9 different teams before hanging up the cleats.  The chances of an experienced vet having been at Carolina at some point are fairly good.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

All these “blips” add up. Vet minimum is about double that of rookie minimum.

The blips don't add up. Only the top 51 contracts count towards the cap. Vet minimums push other vet minimums out of the calculation. My hope is that the team will be more willing to let day three picks replace the likes of DeShawn Williams and Casey Toohill. But we still need a baseline piece in place before the draft because maybe we won't get any DEs for example on day three. At least now we are spending the vet minimum or close to it on these baseline depth pieces, instead of paying Jordan Phillips $5M to sit in the medical tent.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

likely a vet minimum to give them a baseline 4th DT after Oliver, Jones and Johnson. I'd be surprised if he ends up making the 53. But if they don't land a DT anywhere in the draft maybe he has a shot. 

This is pretty much all that needs to be said. 

/Thread.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

One of their reported top 30 visits is a DT projected to go in the 6th round (Khristian Boyd out of Northern Iowa). I think Beane has finally learned his lesson after years of wasting money 3-4 players deep at the position. The savings from Jordan Phillips/Tim Settle to the depth DTs he has signed this offseason is probably enough to cover the year one salary of Curtis Samuel. Small philosophical changes at the bottom of the roster lead to more difference makers at the top of the roster.

Lin Manuel Miranda Love GIF by Tony Awards

Not a bad signing for veteran eepth.  With 11 picks, I'm sure that we are adding at least one defensive lineman.   If our rookies aren't ready, we have a backup.   If not. he either gets cut or stashed on the practice squad.  No biggie, we aren't getting 90 pro bowlers, especially at vet minimum.

Edited by dgrochester55