What are your thoughts on the Steelers QB situation?

Kinda random offseason post but just interested in what people think of Russ/Fields both being aquired in the same offseason and both with their own reasons for optimism. 

I mean personally I think they should go with Fields, under the right OC and guidance I think he could work out in the NFL. But you can make a case for Wilson as well. 

Honestly feels like a pre McDermott Billsy move, considering they whiffed on their 1st rd guy but they did get tremendous value on 2 QBs with their own unique upside. Was just curious what the mafia thought 

Also remember, Tomlin never finished below .500 which imo is one of the most underrated feats in the modern day NFL

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I hope Wilson is good enough this season that the Stillers pay him large and he keeps Fields on the bench. Then next season I hope Fields moves on to the NFC where he finds success while Wilson totally implodes. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

I haven't watched a lot of Fields, but I think he has a skill set reminiscent of Russ in his prime, so they can both work in the same type of offense.  My guess is that Russ will start the season with Fields as his backup.  If he can't recreate the form he had in Seattle, then Fields will get his shot.   Even if Russ excels and Fields doesn't see much playing time, I think that the Stillers may re-sign Fields for the future if he looks good in practice.

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I hope Wilson is good enough this season that the Stillers pay him large and he keeps Fields on the bench. Then next season I hope Fields moves on to the NFC where he finds success while Wilson totally implodes. 

You have an edge to you, my brother.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

They went from a bunch of question marks to adding a bridge QB, a QB that still hasn't developed and a average at best backup. Much improved IMHO and at very little cost. Kudos to their GM. 

Ya agreed. They definitely upgraded after realizing their 1st rder isn't the one

I like Fields.

Wilson is a dumpster fire of a person and his play doesn’t warrant the headaches he brings to a locker room. I remember Marshawn and Sherman talking about how he big times everybody, won’t even give them his number, had them call his manager. Guy seems like a rich douche. Not sure why Steelers brought that cancer in tbh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

I haven't watched a lot of Fields, but I think he has a skill set reminiscent of Russ in his prime, so they can both work in the same type of offense.  My guess is that Russ will start the season with Fields as his backup.  If he can't recreate the form he had in Seattle, then Fields will get his shot.   Even if Russ excels and Fields doesn't see much playing time, I think that the Stillers may re-sign Fields for the future if he looks good in practice.

Fields has some of the worst field awareness in the NFL. If he wasn’t such a good athlete, he would have been benched long ago. But he makes a few highlight runs and people think he has some untapped talent. 

Great athlete, great arm, horrible awareness. He fumbles like peterman throws picks. As long as Wilson is reasonable competent (which he will be) Fields will stay on the bench 

I love what they did. Low risk, low salary with some upside. I’d take both over all the QBs they had last year and it barely cost them anything. Are they long term? 🤷🏻‍♂️ but they are upgrades good enough to possibly win a playoff game or more of their D is legit

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

I think they will use multiple QBs using Fields in a lot of options plays.

I also believe that Steelers would not have signed Wilson if they knew that Fields was available but since they signed him he will get chance provided bur if a QB goes down in preseason he may be traded for an asset.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Fields has some of the worst field awareness in the NFL. If he wasn’t such a good athlete, he would have been benched long ago. But he makes a few highlight runs and people think he has some untapped talent. 

Great athlete, great arm, horrible awareness. He fumbles like peterman throws picks. As long as Wilson is reasonable competent (which he will won't be) Fields will stay on the bench 

FIFY