McDermott is feeling the pressure

My bias against McDermott is well documented. 

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

Then the most ridiculous statement of all. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

So what does the board think? 

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

For those that defend McDermott, what do you all think?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Vomit 8
  • Eyeroll 22
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 14
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In general it’s hard to win in this league, when you have a Josh Allen it’s easier to win than 30 other teams, the truer statement is it’s hard to win a championship in this league when one side of the ball continually fails to show up in the playoffs.

But you won’t hear him say that because that side of the ball is his baby.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 14
  • Thank you (+1) 3

He's probably defensive because he hears the 'do or die' music playing real loud right now. The window on Josh's rookie deal is closed, he's been provided good rosters the last couple of years and has had all the tools he needs to get it done and the team keeps coming up short.

Him launching into that unprompted is very likely an effect of this conversation being had with him by the Bills org behind closed doors. 

Is he a good coach? Absolutely, he's a tremendous leader of men and a great 'get the culture right' guy.

Is he a Super Bowl winning coach? That one is looking increasingly more dubious.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I spoke directly with Steve Tasker at a social gathering during the season.  I asked his opinion of McDermott.  

Steve said we are lucky to have him, and that he's a fantastic coach.  He was fairly emphatic that the fans have ZERO clue about coaching or what makes a "bad coach".   I agree.

He's defensive because of the criticism, mostly unwarranted, by the fans.  There are things other than coaching going on which dictate winning.  Personnel, injuries, drafting, etc.  

In my opinion, the criticism is unwarranted.  There is a TON of hindsight/monday morning QB'ing going on.  

Maybe we should go after Ron Rivera?

Edited by Blackbeard
  • Like (+1) 21
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 8
  • Agree 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I hope he helps the team win big this year but he should feel the heat. We have a generational talent at QB and have been to and lost one conference championship game. Not enough. Maybe he'll win it all and turn around the narrative. Not counting on it but I'd love to be wrong.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My bias against McDermott is well documented. 

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

So what does the board think? 

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

For those that defend McDermott, what do you all think?

I think you're wrong.  

Your evidence that he's feeling the pressure is based on you evaluation of his performance in a press conference.  He's ALWAYS been bad in press conferences.  He's uncomfortable, he doesn't like it, and he isn't good at figuring out how to give useful answers to questions without saying too much.  

It's ridiculous, meaning it's fair to subject you to ridicule, for you to compare McDermott to Dick Jauron.  McDermott has built a perennial top-five favorite to win the Super Bowl, and Jauron went 7-9 three years in a row before the team fell apart.  There is NO meaningful comparison.  

You're free to not like McDermott, but you're not going to convince anyone who knows football.  The 49ers aren't firing Shanahan and the Bills aren't replacing McDermott.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 8

I think the Josh evolving part is on the mental aspects, in terms of game management. 

For instance the KC game.  Josh went for the TD on second down, wrong move.  A T Brady or A Rodgers would have just been doing everything to get another first down and drain the clock.  The objective there should not have been to score the TD but to burn clock and get a first down.

McD and the Bills are on a nice run, just need to break through to the next step.  Consistently fielding a very good team is a great way to potentially win the Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're wrong.  

Your evidence that he's feeling the pressure is based on you evaluation of his performance in a press conference.  He's ALWAYS been bad in press conferences.  He's uncomfortable, he doesn't like it, and he isn't good at figuring out how to give useful answers to questions without saying too much.  

It's ridiculous, meaning it's fair to subject you to ridicule, for you to compare McDermott to Dick Jauron.  McDermott has built a perennial top-five favorite to win the Super Bowl, and Jauron went 7-9 three years in a row before the team fell apart.  There is NO meaningful comparison.  

You're free to not like McDermott, but you're not going to convince anyone who knows football.  The 49ers aren't firing Shanahan and the Bills aren't replacing McDermott.  

Is this Mrs. McDermotts burner account?

• Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I admitted that. That's why I was asking what others thought

I think the first sentence of this thread is indeed well documented.    😋

Certainly allowed to all your opinions, but this was not shocking. 

Edited by Augie

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think the Josh evolving part is on the mental aspects, in terms of game management. 

This was how I took it as well. Until Allen takes that final step in his game I don’t think Bills can win a superbowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm not entirely sure of the intent of the OP.

Is it your intent to indicate that Sean McDermott feels pressure to win a championship in Buffalo? If so, I agree. I'd also say that's a no-brainer. All NFL head coaches -- particularly those who last longer than 3 or 4 seasons without winning a championship -- feel pressure to win a championship. Failure to do so inevitably leads to their dismissal from their job, so of course they feel pressure.

Is it your intent to indicate that the way Sean McDermott has been answering questions this offseason suggests that he feels he's on the hot seat? If so, I'm not sure I agree. Aside from the aforementioned pressure he feels as an NFL head coach, I view the way he's been answering questions this offseason more as a response to the recent spate of coverage of him and the Bills, starting with the Tyler Dunne piece last season and continuing through the "Bills' window is closed", "Bills haven't accomplished anything" talk that seems to gain strength more with these Bills than it does with any other non-title-winning team in the league. I actually LIKE the increase in "punch" to his responses and interviews since the Dunne piece came out. I feel he's stuck up for himself and his team more and been less milquetoast. I like that.

I made it very clear half way through last season that I wanted to see the Bills move on from McDermott. Since that time, the way he has responded as a man and as a coach, the way he's improved at various aspects of his job, the way the team and GM and owner have all rallied around him, and the way the Bills responded on the field after the piece's publication have all combined to make me feel that it doesn't make sense to move on from McDermott at this point in time. I'm still not 100% convinced that he's the man to lead the Bills to the promised land, but the good that he brings outweighs the bad to a significant enough degree that I think he's currently the best man for the job, and certainly deserves another season at the helm.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

from going 17 years with a mediocre/bad team every single season to winning the division 4 times in a row and making the playoffs 6/7 years.... Yes, I would agree it's narrow minded.

Many teams have a good/great team and judging them based on whether they won the superbowl or not is not taking into account anything else that has happened.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Did he really say this ? Josh is the 1st or 2nd best QB in the league every year. This is such an embarrassing quote. Josh pretty much can't do anything more to drag McDermott across the finish line , yet McDermott and his delusion thinks it's the other way around ?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1