The Case for Trading Back [Discussion]

Beane could do anything but he's shown he's prone to trading up, not down. 

The Bills aren't going to keep 11 rookies, for sure, so unloading some picks is essential.  Trading back compounds the problem. 

I expect another trade up, like last season, to get a solid starter they really like.  Not ahuge move - they don't have the capital for that - but two three or four spots.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Well, I disagree about WR not being a "dire need." And in terms of losing #28 for just another 3rd or 4th, I would say no way. The last thing that I want is for the Bills to get stiffed again as they did in the Mahomes pick for Tre White fiasco, and I don't trust McDermott not to repeat something this ill advised, or shall I say stupid.

Now, If a team wanted to give us a 1st and a 2nd or 3rd in 25 and a 3rd this season, I would at least consider it. What I don't want is for McDermott to make another stupid trade up to get yet another defensive player.

I’m not interested in a trade back that gets that much in return. To get that kind of compensation would mean a significant trade back where we could miss on the better WR prospects all together.  

We could make a small trade back and pickup a 3rd (we don’t currently have one) or an extra fourth and still easily get one of Leggette, Coleman, Franklin, McConkey, or Pearsall as more than one of them would still be on the board.

So I’m down for that kind of trade back, not a big one.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

WR1 is absolutely a dire need. 

WR2 has been a dire need for years and ignored. 

Now Diggs is approaching WR2 status and the WR room is still lacking a true WR1. 

I like Beane … but his refusal to address the WR position has been painfully consistent. 

Agree, it is long past the time to get a top shelf #1 / 2 wide out in the draft, being we have taken all of one WR with draft capital during this regime’s entire tenure.  Diggs is still good, but he getting older and has been injured by the time the playoffs start for the past two seasons…,  This draft is a prime opportunity to fill a long standing hole in the offense with above average talent, instead of the (we can make it work with cast off veteran receivers in FA) mind set, which has failed us in every post season.  This team has got to stop with running it back with the same strategy that hasn’t worked in, how many seasons? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills aren't going to keep 11 rookies, for sure, so unloading some picks is essential.  Trading back compounds the problem. 

I expect another trade up, like last season, to get a solid starter they really like.  Not ahuge move - they don't have the capital for that - but two three or four spots.  

I understand your point and agree mostly, but I think the play to to trade up into maybe the 3rd using the glut of later picks where the value of those picks moves the needle in the trade.  The earlier of the two 4ths would maybe move them two spots up in round 1 - perhaps worth it if they could get someone like Thomas or Mitchell, but I think they might need to go further up for those guys.  

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I understand your point and agree mostly, but I think the play to to trade up into maybe the 3rd using the glut of later picks where the value of those picks moves the needle in the trade.  The earlier of the two 4ths would maybe move them two spots up in round 1 - perhaps worth it if they could get someone like Thomas or Mitchell, but I think they might need to go further up for those guys.  

I think Beane's ideas of who he wants in the first round regularly surprise us.  Both position and identity are surprises. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Even if we trade back to the 2nd round we can still use day 3 picks to trade up…no worries about having too many picks 👍

Edited by JaCrispy

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Even if we trade back to the 2nd round we can still use day 3 picks to trade up…no worries about having too many picks 👍

Of course, but trading back in the first round isn't Beanes style. He's traded up four times in the first round in six years.  Allen, Edmunds, Elam, Kincaid.  

10 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Didn't say that, but you'd have to be a fool to believe this team's a Superbowl contender 

The fools in Las Vegas have them fourth.  I'd say they're a contender.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I think it really boils down to value. If the players they value in the 1st are not there at 28, it completely makes sense to trade down and pick up another draft pick. I think a lot of people are completely ruling out the possibility that the 1st round pick could be something other than a WR. It is likely that Beane has 1st round grades on other positions. People may not like it, but DLmen have value too. I do think Beane wants WR over DL, but it is going to come down to where the value is. Beane absolutely could trade down in order to increase his chance at increasing value by adding another pick. I will say this, Beane has never done what I expect. Each year he's done something that surprises me. He's got a habit of trading up in the early rounds and trading down in later rounds. Whether that holds true this year....who knows?

Edited by Rockinon
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

No needs on the roster? That's a rosy outlook. TE is set. WR is severely undermanned. RB is ok, QB is above average, OL IS THIN. DL isn't great, LB is ok, CB is good but lacks depth, safety is a tire fire.

Above average hahaha, yeah I’d say he’s above average 

• Haha (+1) 1

If only 5 receivers get drafted in the first round (as I've seen in some mocks), and we can gain an additional 3rd round to drop back a little, I'm all for trading back.  

That extra pick could easily become a starting Safety or Guard on this team.  To get that and one of the top 10 receivers would be a very successful draft to me, with an edge rusher somewhere in there.  

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

WR1 is absolutely a dire need. 

WR2 has been a dire need for years and ignored. 

Now Diggs is approaching WR2 status and the WR room is still lacking a true WR1. 

I like Beane … but his refusal to address the WR position has been painfully consistent. 

I don't look at it as a refusal to address the WR position as much as where we've been drafting, the quality has not been there in the first round at the WR position.  It could be argued that even the WRs we've taken in later rounds have been just as good as those taken in the 2nd round for the most part.   I am hoping that with the depth at that position in this year's draft, Beane uses one of the first two picks on a WR...the first if one of the top guys is there for the taking.

3 hours ago, mrags said:

I really think you should prepare yourself for the possibility that McD will absolutely take another Defensive player. After all his defense was gutted in the offseason. They filled the whole at WR with Samuel and in their minds that useless Hollins. I’m with you, I absolutely think drafting a WR to not be your #2 but be your #1 as early as next year is a huge need. However I am just not sure they feel the same way. 

I agree with you that there is a possibility Beane will choose to use another 1st round pick on defense, and fans better be ready.

I don't agree the Bills think they filled the "hole" at WR with Samuel.  They have 2 holes and they know it - at slot, and at X.  They filled the slot/flex hole with Samuel.  They still need to replace, hopefully upgrade, on Gabe Davis at X and hopefully start grooming a Diggs replacement. 

I think the fact that they didn't restructure Diggs when that would have been an easy cap move, says they are looking to the day when they move on, which means they better start taking shots at his replacement now in case the first shot doesn't work out.

As for Hollins, it's pretty clear to most people that Hollins is our Kumerow/Sherfield STer who can fill in at WR as a backup/blocker.  It's been explained to you, too.  No, the Bills don't see Hollins as filling their hole at WR.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I agree with you that there is a possibility Beane will choose to use another 1st round pick on defense, and fans better be ready.

I don't agree the Bills think they filled the "hole" at WR with Samuel.  They have 2 holes and they know it - at slot, and at X.  They filled the slot/flex hole with Samuel.  They still need to replace, hopefully upgrade, on Gabe Davis at X and hopefully start grooming a Diggs replacement. 

I think the fact that they didn't restructure Diggs when that would have been an easy cap move, says they are looking to the day when they move on, which means they better start taking shots at his replacement now in case the first shot doesn't work out.

As for Hollins, it's pretty clear to most people that Hollins is our Kumerow/Sherfield STer who can fill in at WR as a backup/blocker.  It's been explained to you, too.  No, the Bills don't see Hollins as filling their hole at WR.

Yeah there’s been so much explained to me but I keep being right about things like Harty sucking, Sherfield sucking, McDermott continuing to make huge mistakes at the worst possible times. Yes I’m aware that Hollins is a Sherfield replacement. That’s still doesn’t negate the fact that he’s being overpaid for what he provides to this team. The move never should have been made. 

on to more pressing needs, I understand you don’t believe they think we are set at WR. I don’t believe they are under that belief either. However I do doubt they rate the need nearly as highly as everyone else. Where you and I see eye to eye on the fact they need to find a true #1 that can take over possibly as early as next year; I’m not so sure they feel the same way. I fear they draft a 4th rd guy (because we currently don’t have any 3rd rounders) and call it a day. Hope I’m wrong and I’ll be extremely glad to admit being wrong if that happens. But I think many people are going to be shocked come draft day. 

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Didn't say that, but you'd have to be a fool to believe this team's a Superbowl contender 

Stranger things in this world aye, 

What we have here are anything from WAGs, mere supposition, to educated guesses, in other words, not one of us knows for certain what will be the outcome of this upcoming season.  I mean really who thought, Kirk Gibson was gonna hit a walk off home run? Thousands had already left the stadium thinking otherwise, 

Edited by Don Otreply

There's always a case to trade back. Trading back and picking up a third would be good. But it depends on who is left on the board and how much Beane likes them.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

There's always a case to trade back. Trading back and picking up a third would be good. But it depends on who is left on the board and how much Beane likes them.

Agree. Picking up an extra top 100 pick for sliding down from 28 into the second round would be very welcome, but you have to see who you’re giving up at 28 first. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

No needs on the roster? That's a rosy outlook. TE is set. WR is severely undermanned. RB is ok, QB is above average, OL IS THIN. DL isn't great, LB is ok, CB is good but lacks depth, safety is a tire fire.

I was worried about QB.   I’m glad we’re better than 16th /17th best.  I look forward to the Allen / Trubisky camp competition.  Maybe Trubisky pushes Allen to top quartile.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1