Pass rusher. A huge need not being talked about enough

DJB

I disagree that DE is not being talked about.  People mention it in "What starting spots still need to be filled?" and other threads.

I do agree it's a concern though I guess it depends on how you feel about Von.  If he returns to form, we're okay.  If not, it's a problem.  In today's NFL, you need to pressure the QB and I don't trust Epenesa and Groot to do enough of that.  

And this isn't our only concern.  I'm worried about this being another playoff year that doesn't end in a Super Bowl appearance.  Good but not good enough.  

We're banking on Von returning to form this year and AJ continuing his upward trend. Clearly we'll have to draft someone in the next year or two, but I'm not sure it's this year. Honestly, I think OBD hopes to get 2 years out of Von in a perfect world. 🤞I'm not as down on Groot as others are either. I feel like if  Von and AJ, and Ed play up to expectations Groot will be fine.

I’m going to give a hot take. I don’t think pass rushers are paramount to defensive success as much as the past. Most elite QB’s are mobile athletic guys who can move around the pocket. I’m not saying pass rushers can’t make a difference, but they can be neutralized. Every year the playoffs come around, I fail to see pass rushers make big plays. The 49ers have Bosa who made zero difference in the Super Bowl, and the Lions Hutchinson wasn’t enough to slow the 49ers in the NFC title game either. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Established pass rushers are unavailable in FA  to cap challenged teams but there is no reason not to expect more pressure and sacks from Miller, 2 years removed from knee surgery and Rousseau/ Epenesa could have more production. Pressure from the tackles should be as good as last year or better with Eddie, DQ and Adrian. Defense should not be a problem if we stay healthy.

14 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m going to give a hot take. I don’t think pass rushers are paramount to defensive success as much as the past. Most elite QB’s are mobile athletic guys who can move around the pocket. I’m not saying pass rushers can’t make a difference, but they can be neutralized. Every year the playoffs come around, I fail to see pass rushers make big plays. The 49ers have Bosa who made zero difference in the Super Bowl, and the Lions Hutchinson wasn’t enough to slow the 49ers in the NFC title game either. 

That’s fair. 

But Chris Jones is the reason Allen didn’t complete that pass to Shakir.  

When Watt is off the field the Steelers never win.  

Aaron Donald is why Burrow missed Chase on that last play of the SB.

Pass rushers are the WR of the defense.  They are game changers.  

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, mrags said:

Oh we know. We also know it’s McDefenses favorite thing to do. Rotate 17 defensive linemen every game and see how little snaps he can give to the actual difference makers on the defense. 

Beane hasn't delivered any difference makers on the DL.

52 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

That’s fair. 

But Chris Jones is the reason Allen didn’t complete that pass to Shakir.  

When Watt is off the field the Steelers never win.  

Aaron Donald is why Burrow missed Chase on that last play of the SB.

Pass rushers are the WR of the defense.  They are game changers.  

Those guys are all first ballot HoFers tho

They just happen to all rush the QB

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Come on now

They have oodles of top draft picks, expensive FAs, tons of resources put into the dline

Guys like Trent Murphy, Quentin Jefferson, Mario Addison, Vernon Butler, and Boogie Basham strike fear into the hearts of OL and QB throughout the NFL.

Will guys like Epenesa and Rousseau magically turn into "difference makers" in their 5th and 4th NFL seasons, respectively?

2 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Guys like Trent Murphy, Quentin Jefferson, Mario Addison, Vernon Butler, and Boogie Basham strike fear into the hearts of OL and QB throughout the NFL.

Will guys like Epenesa and Rousseau magically turn into "difference makers" in their 5th and 4th NFL seasons, respectively?

So how many more early picks and FA dollars do they need to burn on dline until we have enough 'difference makers'? 

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it is on talent ultimately. Oliver apart. The guys just aren't that good and Beane has overpaid them IMO.

Yeah I don’t accept that. He’s had a top 5-10 defense pretty much since he’s been the HC. He manages to do so much with every other position. From mid to late round picks and undrafted picks starting and playing well all across the board. He just can’t seem to ever find a legit pass rush when it matters unless he blitzes the house. It’s defensive scheme, game planning, and play calling. And it’s all on the shoulders of McD

• Disagree 1