Sam Martin's Salary Guaranteed

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Is this another ***** punter thread?

My god. 

I mean, there was talk of the out in his contract this year being exercised for a little over a million in Cap Space.

We signed Matt Haack back and there were some wondering if he was going to replace Martin because of said out in his contract.

His salary and cap hit now being locked in, making it less likely he'll be released, is at least slightly newsworthy.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

7 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

One of my biggest takeaways from that fiasco was, how bad was Haack punting in practice that you let Martin punt injured? AND why did you then bring Haack back after the playoffs?

Wasn't a big reason for that that you could only bring up two players per game from the practice squad and they had injuries at other positions? 

I'd argue your punter playing against a top three defense in the cold is extremely important, but I also trust they understood the give and take with that decision and made it properly based on their calculations... that said, Martin, like Davis in the AFC champ game a bit back, was a huge liability. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Minimal cap saving of around 1.25m on a cut is now out. Good news is it seems like anyone worrying that Matt Haack was anything but a Camp Leg probably no longer needs to worry.

Do you need a "camp leg" punter??

8 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It may come down to who is the better holder.

Bass's problems did not include his holder

8 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Maybe I'm biased, but I absolutely despise Martin. That play in the WC game where he got hurt last year (PICKING UP HIS HAND WARMER!!!!)  before running after the player who recovered the fumble from the blocked punt was one of the worst plays I've seen since the infamous butt fumble.  He should have got a lot more criticism for that embarrassing play. He should be run out of town.

It also cost us a lot in the KC game since he wasn't 100%

Martin is clearly not an athlete. But worse than that, I'm not sure he knows how to stretch properly. A punter should be the most well-stretched player on the field.  Has he never run a sprint before?

Bean has screwed up the punting situation massively.

Years of Brian Moorman led me to believe that it's not that hard to get a solid athletic Punter. Moorman was small AF but he was also a really great athlete. Did he ever get hurt during his long tenure?

I don't know what Sam Martin is. I'd say he's a bum. Kick his ass to the curb.

It’s hard to understand what you think about Martin from this post.  Might you clarify?

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's kind of like saying on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, Haack is a 2 and Martin is a 3 and it's not a log scale either.  All I remember last season was all the complaints about what a poor punter Martin was.

Together they could be five. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They will carry 2 punters and carry less WR’s. 

Yeah, but everyone always says that those depth players have gotta be able to play special teams.  It's the only valid consideration for reserves at WR, in particular,  so if a backup punter adds more ST value by holding for FGs than a WR,  then he gets the spot, right?

My 2 cents on this whole situation is that this is just a tiny bit of guaranteed money and doesn't guarantee that he is the punter this year. I think they draft a guy and I think they are keeping Haack around to help the rookie work on holding for Bass. I have zero proof of this, but that is what I think will ultimately happen. If Martin beats out the rookie, then he sticks around. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My 2 cents on this whole situation is that this is just a tiny bit of guaranteed money and doesn't guarantee that he is the punter this year. I think they draft a guy and I think they are keeping Haack around to help the rookie work on holding for Bass. I have zero proof of this, but that is what I think will ultimately happen. If Martin beats out the rookie, then he sticks around. 

This is my initial thought as well. In the grand scheme of things $1.6M is absolute peanuts when it comes to cap space. If they have an opportunity to improve the spot either through the draft or a better FA pick up they will still hop on it. I'd even see them take a shot on an UDFA and have a competition.

I see that $1.6M being paid out more like an insurance fee for if they don't land someone else. 

• Agree 1

Did anyone think Haack was taking his job?  

Likely Beane is keeping Haack around to help split the load in training camp and preseason games and to give Haack another shot at making a team as a favor for him being willing to help out last minute last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

My read.  Beane approached Martin about a pay cut and Martin  refused.   Beane signed Haack to apply pressure but Martin called his bluff and took down the pot.  

All I know is this better be a 1 yr guarantee. We may need both a punter and kicker in 2025.

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Did anyone think Haack was taking his job?  

Likely Beane is keeping Haack around to help split the load in training camp and preseason games and to give Haack another shot at making a team as a favor for him being willing to help out last minute last year.

Haack was brought in to get some camp competition.  I would like to see someone brought in to compete with Bass.

Get both of these kickers' minds' focused.

I don't like either of these guys kicking every kick all summer long with not even the hint of competition.

9 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Is this true prior to the hammy? Perhaps I've just forgotten. 

The last 3 or 4 weeks of season he kicked decent, before that was never great

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bass's problems did not include his holder

And you know this how exactly?

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

And if a team were ever to do it, it would be this one.

This coach would ABSOLUTELY do that.

Then fire a positional coach(whose spot he used for said place holder) for not having enough fresh bodies during a game. only if it was on offense though. 

• Eyeroll 1