Peter Guelli the new COO of the Bills and Sabres

Gregg

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Pegula doesn’t know what he wants.  Executives are coming and going under his leadership, scandals(Brandon), PSE created, PSE dissolved, etc…

Pegula is clueless, and if it wasn’t for Josh Allen, the Bills would probably be stuck in neutral much like his beloved Sabres.  

oh SNAP. This one hurts. Especially regarding the sabres. Being new to a teams fan base has its advantages. They may or likely may not make the playoffs but the games themselves lately have been exciting and fun. I am optimistic about the team. No jumping off any bandwagons now.

Regarding the upper management of 2 sports franchises, to me a novice it does sound like a  Huge Job.  He better trust and have a great support staff.

That sounds like a lot for one guy to me, I dunno

7 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

So if this guy was Russ Brandon's understudy...how long until we can expect our first inappropriate scandal with an intern? I'm giving it 6 months

FWIW, he’s a different personality. There were others in that regime that had similar “transgressions.” This dude is a standup guy.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Is there any successful precedent for one guy being COO of two separate pro sports teams? I don't follow other sports like football and have not idea but it seems odd to me. Why not get a football guy to focus on football?

what exactly do you believe the role entails?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

what exactly do you believe the role entails?

Frankly, I don't know what a Chief Operating Officer does.

Many people here are upset I asked a simple question and many have said it has nothing to do with football so my comment about getting a "football" guy is totally wrong.

Mea culpa. I didn't know what the role entailed but I took a crazy leap of faith that if you're a Chief any kind of Officer that it's likely that a good knowledge of the industry you're in is a good thing. I thought that industry is football and not running a stadium or whatever it is. I'm still confused.

I didn't know you could do this job well and not know football

Sorry Valentines GIF by South Park

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Before someone asks, yes I know Pete Guelli. Yes, he is close with Russ Brandon. Yes, he’s a very smart and experienced sports business executive with local ties. He has years of sponsorship experience. It’s a shrewd hire prior to moving into the new stadium.

There are lots of examples. His role has ZERO to do with football or hockey. He is in charge of the business of sports. He sells tickets, advertising, etc… 

If Pete Guelli is very smart he wouldn’t mention he is close friends with Russ Brandon. Russ Brandon the driving force behind the Buffalo Bills Toronto Series and the Bills playoff drought isn’t exactly popular in Western New York. This is another nothing move Pete Guelli will just pass through the night and take some of Terry Pegula’s money before he is let go. But Terry Pegula can’t afford a Buffalo USL Super League soccer team for Buffalo in the new Bills stadium. When is Western New York going to get the money Terry Pegula wasted on fired executives would have bought and paid for a Buffalo expansion USL Super League soccer team in the new Bills stadium. Pegula Sports and Entertainment waste money on executives and basically nonsense that cost the Bills money. That doesn’t bring in new money and jobs for Western New York. Ditto Key Bank Center even when it’s full renovated it will still empty I would bet the house on that unless Terry Pegula sells the Sabres to someone else. The Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits were the Knox Brothers legacy to Buffalo. The Buffalo Bills were Ralph Wilson legacy to Buffalo. What has Terry Pegula ever really created that was a business success and cemented his ownership legacy in Buffalo? The Buffalo Bisons are Bob Rich Family legacy to Buffalo. I am waiting? I will be waiting a long time because Terry Pegula isn’t capable of really creating anything long lasting. He has plenty of opportunity he controls both our major sports houses he isn’t capable of creating anything lasting or new for Western New York. We are building a World Class Soccer Stadium with no soccer team in it. But it’s Terry Pegula so that explains everything. If Terry Pegula doesn’t win a Super Bowl or Stanley Cup he will be like Tom Golisano just passing through a period of time in Buffalo paddling his fortune. For some Buffalo fans that is good enough I guess carry on in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

If Pete Guelli is very smart he wouldn’t mention he is close friends with Russ Brandon. Russ Brandon the driving force behind the Buffalo Bills Toronto Series and the Bills playoff drought isn’t exactly popular in Western New York. This is another nothing move Pete Guelli will just pass through the night and take some of Terry Pegula’s money before he is let go. But Terry Pegula can’t afford a Buffalo USL Super League soccer team for Buffalo in the new Bills stadium. When is Western New York going to get the money Terry Pegula wasted on fired executives would have bought and paid for a Buffalo expansion USL Super League soccer team in the new Bills stadium. Pegula Sports and Entertainment waste money on executives and basically nonsense that cost the Bills money. That doesn’t bring in new money and jobs for Western New York. Ditto Key Bank Center even when it’s full renovated it will still empty I would bet the house on that unless Terry Pegula sells the Sabres to someone else. The Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits were the Knox Brothers legacy to Buffalo. The Buffalo Bills were Ralph Wilson legacy to Buffalo. What has Terry Pegula ever really created that was a business success and cemented his ownership legacy in Buffalo? The Buffalo Bisons are Bob Rich Family legacy to Buffalo. I am waiting? I will be waiting a long time because Terry Pegula isn’t capable of really creating anything long lasting. He has plenty of opportunity he controls both our major sports houses he isn’t capable of creating anything lasting or new for Western New York. We are building a World Class Soccer Stadium with no soccer team in it. But it’s Terry Pegula so that explains everything. If Terry Pegula doesn’t win a Super Bowl or Stanley Cup he will be like Tom Golisano just passing through a period of time in Buffalo paddling his fortune. For some Buffalo fans that is good enough I guess carry on in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Continue Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Frankly, I don't know what a Chief Operating Officer does.

Many people here are upset I asked a simple question and many have said it has nothing to do with football so my comment about getting a "football" guy is totally wrong.

Mea culpa. I didn't know what the role entailed but I took a crazy leap of faith that if you're a Chief any kind of Officer that it's likely that a good knowledge of the industry you're in is a good thing. I thought that industry is football and not running a stadium or whatever it is. I'm still confused.

I didn't know you could do this job well and not know football

Sorry Valentines GIF by South Park

really stressed you out to have like 3 low key corrections head your way, eh?

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, QCity said:

Oversee the business side only. Sabres really need a President IMO.

They really don't. Sabres are on the right track. It just takes longer in hockey when you are developing your own players.

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Before someone asks, yes I know Pete Guelli. Yes, he is close with Russ Brandon. Yes, he’s a very smart and experienced sports business executive with local ties. He has years of sponsorship experience. It’s a shrewd hire prior to moving into the new stadium.

There are lots of examples. His role has ZERO to do with football or hockey. He is in charge of the business of sports. He sells tickets, advertising, etc… 

You are certainly much more plugged in than everybody. So i will trust your judgement on the whole thing. 

But I think some of the reflex is that historically terrible Buffalo Sabres owner said that the new guy "turned around""...checks notes...The Charlotte Hornet's. Another bad team. It is admitedly pedantic for me an others to take shots. But also Pegula has to read the room he is speaking to. What bad phrasing. 

I don't doubt that Pete is well respected in multiple sports league circles. But saying anybody "turned around" a Jordan brand from the business side gives me pause. Especially one whose major revenue stream is the state of North Carolina. He is the states golden child; he has been heavily invested in that community for a very long time, and continues to invest in Charlotte even after the sale. 

I don't think there is a comparable in the big 4 sports to Michael Jordan buying the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornet's. I don't believe that was a heavy lift. Working for adn being successful Michael Jordan as part of the larger Jordan and NBA brand is a major feather in anybodies cap. But turned around.....

3 hours ago, JimS said:

It was much better in 1983. 🙂

PXL_20240319_213923898.jpg

Is it just me or does he look kind of like Bob Weir if Bobby had made a number of different decisions and started hitting those TRX bands 60 years earlier. 

image.thumb.png.216b0120e0ac9cddb94f4dfd6a2fdc17.png

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

You are certainly much more plugged in than everybody. So i will trust your judgement on the whole thing. 

But I think some of the reflex is that historically terrible Buffalo Sabres owner said that the new guy "turned around""...checks notes...The Charlotte Hornet's. Another bad team. It is admitedly pedantic for me an others to take shots. But also Pegula has to read the room he is speaking to. What bad phrasing. 

I don't doubt that Pete is well respected in multiple sports league circles. But saying anybody "turned around" a Jordan brand from the business side gives me pause. Especially one whose major revenue stream is the state of North Carolina. He is the states golden child; he has been heavily invested in that community for a very long time, and continues to invest in Charlotte even after the sale. 

I don't think there is a comparable in the big 4 sports to Michael Jordan buying the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornet's. I don't believe that was a heavy lift. Working for adn being successful Michael Jordan as part of the larger Jordan and NBA brand is a major feather in anybodies cap. But turned around.....

Is it just me or does he look kind of like Bob Weir if Bobby had made a number of different decisions and started hitting those TRX bands 60 years earlier. 

image.thumb.png.216b0120e0ac9cddb94f4dfd6a2fdc17.png

One of the problems that people have when they look at sports business executives, is that they try to associate their success with on field / court success. I’m not saying that you are doing that here but others are in the thread. 

I know a good bit about the Charlotte NBA situation. The Hornets left on TERRIBLE terms with lawsuits between the owners. They were an AMAZING franchise until the late ‘90’s. The Bobcats situation was pretty much a disaster. Jordan coming in was not really the savior that people thought. He was not a very good owner on the court or on the business side. That’s hard for me to say because he’s my favorite athlete ever. The franchise turned up under Guelli’s leadership and by engaging NBA best practices. As stated earlier, the NBA has always been the best at the business of sports.

When he was with the Bills they were like middle of the league in sponsor revenue I think. That’s impossible with an old stadium and garbage teams. That’s a credit to the creativity and staff that he had built. This is a very good hire for the Bills & Sabres. His experience dwarfs that of the last few people “running the show.”

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

One of the problems that people have when they look at sports business executives, is that they try to associate their success with on field / court success. I’m not saying that you are doing that here but others are in the thread. 

I know a good bit about the Charlotte NBA situation. The Hornets left on TERRIBLE terms with lawsuits between the owners. They were an AMAZING franchise until the late ‘90’s. The Bobcats situation was pretty much a disaster. Jordan coming in was not really the savior that people thought. He was not a very good owner on the court or on the business side. That’s hard for me to say because he’s my favorite athlete ever. The franchise turned up under Guelli’s leadership and by engaging NBA best practices. As stated earlier, the NBA has always been the best at the business of sports.

When he was with the Bulls they were like middle of the league in sponsor revenue I think. That’s impossible with an old stadium and garbage teams. That’s a credit to the creativity and staff that he had built. This is a very good hire for the Bills & Sabres. His experience dwarfs that of the last few people “running the show.”

I have some familiarity with the whole Charlotte situation. But certainly not to your level. I know they left on terrible terms and Johnson was a disaster. However I don't look at those Johnson years as Jordan since he was only a minority owner. Just like the current era isn't a Jordan era, or that I don't have anything pointed at Serena Williams and the business side of the Dolphins. Worth noting that PG was hired a year before Jordan took majority ownership. 

What I mean about Jordan is that just by existing he has the ability to brand an NBA team in his home state that is absolutely crazy about basketball and it isn't exactly an uphill climb. Selling a majority owned Jordan/Charlotte NBA team that previously dorked the city down twice (by leaving and then by Johnson) was basically like selling water in a drought. 

I don't discount his the work with the Bills. 

Ultimately fans don't care about sponsorships. The Sabres are trash. The Hornets are trash. I mean to be more harsh on Terry here than I am on PG. To release a statement that anybody has turned either franchise around in the last 10 years is silly and deserves to be laughed at. Imagine the Hornets hired somebody from the Sabres and Plotkin/Schnall released a statement that they "turned the Sabres around'. Even if we were still a top team attendance wise it would be a super silly statement to make to the fanbase. 

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

I have some familiarity with the whole Charlotte situation. But certainly not to your level. I know they left on terrible terms and Johnson was a disaster. However I don't look at those Johnson years as Jordan since he was only a minority owner. Just like the current era isn't a Jordan era, or that I don't have anything pointed at Serena Williams and the business side of the Dolphins. Worth noting that PG was hired a year before Jordan took majority ownership. 

What I mean about Jordan is that just by existing he has the ability to brand an NBA team in his home state that is absolutely crazy about basketball and it isn't exactly an uphill climb. Selling a majority owned Jordan/Charlotte NBA team that previously dorked the city down twice (by leaving and then by Johnson) was basically like selling water in a drought. 

I don't discount his the work with the Bills. 

Ultimately fans don't care about sponsorships. The Sabres are trash. The Hornets are trash. I mean to be more harsh on Terry here than I am on PG. To release a statement that anybody has turned either franchise around in the last 10 years is silly and deserves to be laughed at. Imagine the Hornets hired somebody from the Sabres and Plotkin/Schnall released a statement that they "turned the Sabres around'. Even if we were still a top team attendance wise it would be a super silly statement to make to the fanbase. 

I hear you. I’m simply suggesting that we are reading into situations without all of the context. The Sabres have largely been poorly run. The Bills haven’t been particularly well run on the business side either. Wins cure all in terms of perception. We need to dissociate the W/L record and how good they are at running the business. Those two things don’t intersect. If you’re dependent on good teams to sell, you don’t belong in that business. It’s easy to sell when winning. The talent rises when the situation is tougher. Those are situations that he’s proven effective in. 

As an aside, the Lakers were the most auto-pilot franchise in the league. They weren’t innovative, creative or progressive. It didn’t matter because they were the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. From the outside people probably thought, “look how great they are?” The reality is, if the Suns staff and Lakers staff traded places, the Suns people would have run circles around them. Guelli is a guy that has succeeded in less than ideal situations. That’s what you should be looking for. You don’t need to hire the Lakers staff.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Mango said:

I don't know. This feels like a boardroom hire that doesn't make much of a difference for any products on the field/ice. 

This was a very weird quote: 

He was there 10 years and only 3 winning years. My teenage niece could market Michael Jordan to basketball fans in his home state of North Carolina. He is one of if not the only player in the American big 4 sports to ever be bigger than the league itself.

I dunno.....In the NFL world, Taylor Swift is bigger than the NFL. 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When he was with the Bills they were like middle of the league in sponsor revenue I think. That’s impossible with an old stadium and garbage teams. That’s a credit to the creativity and staff that he had built. This is a very good hire for the Bills & Sabres. His experience dwarfs that of the last few people “running the show.”

People would rather come up with their own twisted takes.