Peter Guelli the new COO of the Bills and Sabres

Gregg

I don't know. This feels like a boardroom hire that doesn't make much of a difference for any products on the field/ice. 

This was a very weird quote: 

"His work in helping turn around the Charlotte Hornets franchise in the NBA was remarkable. He is a proven leader with tremendous skills and experience in the sports business landscape. With the upcoming changes on the way in both team's venues, we are happy to have Pete to help lead our teams."

He was there 10 years and only 3 winning years. My teenage niece could market Michael Jordan to basketball fans in his home state of North Carolina. He is one of if not the only player in the American big 4 sports to ever be bigger than the league itself.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

Is there any successful precedent for one guy being COO of two separate pro sports teams? I don't follow other sports like football and have not idea but it seems odd to me. Why not get a football guy to focus on football?

A football guy to run business operations? This has nothing to do with either sport. This is purely a business position.

Pegula doesn’t know what he wants.  Executives are coming and going under his leadership, scandals(Brandon), PSE created, PSE dissolved, etc…

Pegula is clueless, and if it wasn’t for Josh Allen, the Bills would probably be stuck in neutral much like his beloved Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

Is there any successful precedent for one guy being COO of two separate pro sports teams? I don't follow other sports like football and have not idea but it seems odd to me. Why not get a football guy to focus on football?

He's a money guy focused on money.  Remember, the business plan of the Bills/Sabres was to continue the Pegula's lifestyle.

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

..well, I'm guessing because the COO doesn't have much to do with the 'football' side of things. He's a business side guy.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I don't know. This feels like a boardroom hire that doesn't make much of a difference for any products on the field/ice. 

This was a very weird quote: 

He was there 10 years and only 3 winning years. My teenage niece could market Michael Jordan to basketball fans in his home state of North Carolina. He is one of if not the only player in the American big 4 sports to ever be bigger than the league itself.

I don't follow what you find weird. He wasn't running the team. Maybe the "turnaround" is on the business end?

• Like (+1) 1

Before someone asks, yes I know Pete Guelli. Yes, he is close with Russ Brandon. Yes, he’s a very smart and experienced sports business executive with local ties. He has years of sponsorship experience. It’s a shrewd hire prior to moving into the new stadium.

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

There are lots of examples. His role has ZERO to do with football or hockey. He is in charge of the business of sports. He sells tickets, advertising, etc… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

He looks creepy 

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Pegulas cheap. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Before someone asks, yes I know Pete Guelli. Yes, he is close with Russ Brandon. Yes, he’s a very smart and experienced sports business executive with local ties. He has years of sponsorship experience. It’s a shrewd hire prior to moving into the new stadium.

There are lots of examples. His role has ZERO to do with football or hockey. He is in charge of the business of sports. He sells tickets, advertising, etc… 

Maybe you can give me some insight. Some folks over at SabreSpace have decided that Pete Guelli was hired because Terry like yes-men, just like Michael Jordan did when he owned the Bobcats. And yes, they are being serious. 

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/36719-sabres-and-bills-hire-new-coo/?do=getNewComment

Edited by PromoTheRobot

36 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe you can give me some insight. Some folks over at SabreSpace have decided that Pete Guelli was hired because Terry like yes-men, just like Michael Jordan did when he owned the Bobcats. And yes, they are being serious. 

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/36719-sabres-and-bills-hire-new-coo/?do=getNewComment

He oversaw sponsorships when Russ was in charge. He was probably the 2nd most powerful guy in the room. He left and took the CRO job in Charlotte with the Bobcats. The NBA has ALWAYS had the best sports business minds. There’s a reason that so much innovation starts there. That’s where I last knew him.

From what I remember the Bills sponsorship numbers were like middle of the league. That is crazy impressive, considering the old stadium and crappy teams. He’s quiet, assertive and smart. I never worked directly with him but knew his reputation. His resume is strong.

• Like (+1) 1