Kenny Pickett being traded to Eagles (according to Schefter)

Simon

37 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Russell Wilson wasn’t much better.  

He has been bad the past 3 seasons.  And because he is going to Pittsburgh, Mr overrated Mike Tomlin is going to get more out of him.  Riddle me that??

Whether you like Mr. Unlimited or not, he’s proven to have some success in the league. 

Pickett? They got enamored in taking a guy the fans wanted who played in their yard. Don’t think he’s awful but he certainly wasn’t what they expected and hoped for... 

When you put it on paper as Wilson vs. Pickett, the Steelers are taking one step up from starting from scratch. A competent QB should have had some success with the weapons he had at his disposal. Blame Canada, blame Tomlin, blame Pickett. All 3 played their part. Best thing they did is admit it wasn’t working out the way the planned and moved on. 

Do wonder though if Pickett voicing his dislike for the Wilson signing is what ultimately played the part in them moving on… He probably could have found some value sitting behind Wilson. Probably going to find more on that Eagles squad and Hurts however. 

Edited by BBFL

Pickett strikes me as a STRONG backup QB option, for a SUPER affordable cap hit. Why is that difficult to acknowledge? Is it the draft capital lost? I can understand attacking that aspect of the deal, but the result for Philly is unquestionably a high-end backup who barely registers against the cap, at the most important position in the sport. 

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Pickett strikes me as a STRONG backup QB option, for a SUPER affordable cap hit. Why is that difficult to acknowledge? Is it the draft capital lost? I can understand attacking that aspect of the deal, but the result for Philly is unquestionably a high-end backup who barely registers against the cap, at the most important position in the sport. 

he stinks

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

that’s ultimately the equation right? 

pickett plus slightly lower draft pick plus improved free agent elsewhere due to cash savings 

vs 

other likely more expensive backup to match quality, plus slightly higher pick plus slightly worse free agent elsewhere 

pickett gives a slight kicker in the off chance he gets trade value or more likely adds to a comp pick going out the door in 2 years (while not costing you one now depending on the eagles situation)

Edited by NoSaint

21 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

*Raises hand from Eagleland*

From the bits I have heard in local talk radio, there has been some concern about Jaylen Hurts' ability to stay healthy. He missed a bunch of games near the end of the regular season in their SB run and they are conjecturing whether the fall off at the end of 2023 was an unreported injury because the Eagles OC at the time (Brian Johnson) simply could not develop a blitz beater package so Hurts started taking a lot of hits. Plus, they were running Hurts a ton in goalline situations: he was tied with Josh for QB rushing TDs despite Josh having 10 pounds and 4 inches on him.

Talk show hosts were considering trading for Justin Fields

They may want to consider avoiding using Hurts as a battering ram if they're so concerned about his longevity. I think Siriannis hold on the hc job is tenuous 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, stuvian said:

They may want to consider avoiding using Hurts as a battering ram if they're so concerned about his longevity. I think Siriannis hold on the hc job is tenuous 

Believe me, I am hearing that. They effectively fired his choice of OCs after the season and brought in Kellen Moore and Vic Fangio which...to be fair, are fairly objective upgrades, but the message the local tea readers get is that the leash is short.

To really hammer home how much they used him as a battering ram, they used the Brotherly Shove all season while Dorsey held off the planned runs and Josh and Hurts still tied for Rushing TDs. I took a quick watch of all Allen TDs in 2023 and by my count 5 were Schnowplow, two were rugby scrums and the remaining 9 were josh taking a snap reading the coverage and going in untouched.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Perfect buy low by yhe Eagles. Move down 20 spots in the 3rd.....which is about yhe equivalent of a 5th round pick.  If he shows anything at all over yhe next 2 years he'll be signed as a FA and the Eagles will recoup a comp. Pick. Good business all around, especially considering hus low salary as other posters have pointed out

• Agree 1

On 3/16/2024 at 8:15 PM, Mr. WEO said:

worse

- The Steelers were 7-3 when Pickett started and finished the game last season. He had wins over playoff teams such as Baltimore, Cleveland and the Rams. He threw for over 200 yards in 60% of his games.

- They were 0-3 with Trubisky starting. All of those losses came against non-playoff teams. He threw for over 200 yards in 0% of his games.