Aaron Donald has announced his retirement

15 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, I am not complaining about a team that we are going to need to play taking an incredible cap hit for no player but maaaan that is a dick move on the way out.

Or a way to get out of training camp.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

So weird. What went on here? I believe most contracts have restructure language pre-built in so it isn't something they likely needed to discuss with him. 

There have been some rumored trade speculation around Donald the last few years. Nothing saying he has requested one, but it has definitely been a topic on most sports shows. Curious if he wanted one last go at a ring this year and the restructure guaranteed that he could not be moved so he called it quits. 

Trouble wrapping my head around this. Something must have happened internally. 

For real.

The retirement might be the headline, but the real story is what is going on behind the scenes.

The restructure itself didnt make sense considering he was going into the last year of his contract. So where are you even kicking that can?

But then that would mean the Rams knowingly handed him an extra $14M on his way out. I guess that can be justified for a HoF player who stuck with the team his entire career. But damn. I have some questions for Les Snead.

edit: From the SI article

"However, freeing up cap space in 2024 means kicking the can down the road. In this case, Donald will now carry a massive cap hit of $38.5 million in 2025, which is a void year on his current contract."

So that answers one of my questions.

Still would love to know how the FO is taking this news.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For real.

The retirement might be the headline, but the real story is what is going on behind the scenes.

The restructure itself didnt make sense considering he was going into the last year of his contract. So where are you even kicking that can?

But then that would mean the Rams knowingly handed him an extra $14M on his way out. I guess that can be justified for a HoF player who stuck with the team his entire career. But damn. I have some questions for Les Snead.

Totally spitballing, but maybe they did do him a solid on this one? 

It is kind of a restructure, but kind of like Douglas they basically just added a void year. Curious if maybe they wanted AD to be able to announce his own retirement so they restructured then he announced? Or maybe there is some benefit to the order of operations? Like maybe it was advantageous to the cap to restructure then retire rather than have a retirement settlement? 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Totally spitballing, but maybe they did do him a solid on this one? 

It is kind of a restructure, but kind of like Douglas they basically just added a void year. Curious if maybe they wanted AD to be able to announce his own retirement so they restructured then he announced? Or maybe there is some benefit to the order of operations? Like maybe it was advantageous to the cap to restructure then retire rather than have a retirement settlement? 

I agree the team doing him a solid is far more likely than Donald pulling a fast one on the team. Classy move to honor your HoF guy.

I'm sure there will be a Snead presser eventually

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty earth shattering news. Would feel more significant to us if he was in the AFC though. One of the best, if the not THE best interior OL. What a monster, he was fun to watch and good for the NFL. o/

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

First-ballot HOF-er.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For real.

edit: From the SI article

"However, freeing up cap space in 2024 means kicking the can down the road. In this case, Donald will now carry a massive cap hit of $38.5 million in 2025, which is a void year on his current contract."

So that answers one of my questions.

Still would love to know how the FO is taking this news.

I don't know that the Chargers will do it, but in theory if a player retires the team can request the amortized portion of his signing bonus to be repaid.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Brady was going to play for the Dolphins or Raiders the past 2 seasons. It must work some way 

What is it that you don’t understand about him being under contract to the Rams for 2024?  If he un-retires at any point this summer or during the season, he is still Rams property. 

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't know that the Chargers will do it, but in theory if a player retires the team can request the amortized portion of his signing bonus to be repaid.

Gonna go out on a limb here, and predict that the Chargers are not going to ask Aaron Donald for any money. 🤣

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

What is it that you don’t understand about him being under contract to the Rams for 2024?  If he un-retires at any point this summer or during the season, he is still Rams property. 

Your logic means nothing to me

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Aaron Donald would like to thank Josh Allen for not killing him with that stiffarm :D

Looking at that picture, I'm guessing Josh already gave the stiff arm to the two Rams laying on the field and he was going after Donald next.

• Like (+1) 1