WR then BPA

Normally I am not an advocate of drafting "BPA".  I think most GMs that say they do lie anyways. At best it is usually BPA at a position of need.

However this year may be the year to just sit back and let the draft come to you. 

As of today, the only starting spot open is Safety.  That may yet be addressed in FA but even if not they can take one on day 2 with a little maneuvering.  They can justify drafting backups and future replacements at most levels. 

I'd be perfectly happy if Beane traded around to get the deep speed WR with size this team lacks. Then just take BPA the rest of the way. You could make an argument for just about every position even taking a backup QB that might have trade value in a year or two. OL, DL, RB, DB, and you can always use a backup LB for teams. Pick up a punter on day 3. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BobbyC81 said:

I have a feeling that, after signing Samuel, that they could go BPA in the first round, and take a WR with their 2nd or 4th pick.

That's certainly possible if there is a run on WR. Might also depend on whether Diggs was injured or not. They likely have a better idea than us why his numbers dropped. 

If 2024 is his last year in Buffalo I have to believe they draft WR in the first round. 

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I have a feeling that, after signing Samuel, that they could go BPA in the first round, and take a WR with their 2nd or 4th pick.

Me too. If a receiver they like is there at #28 they will take them. But 36 hours ago I said I thought the most likely outcome was the best receiver on their board at #28. I don't necessarily think that now. If their best receiver available is 10 or 12 spots lower on their board they won't pick him.

I think defensive line is very much in play and I think even DB is. I have long thought Cooper DeJean might be their kind of kid but had dismissed it. Now, looking at the roster, if they think he is a day 1 starter at safety..... I mean I would not love it but I think the odds have increased compared to 2 days ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

Wr then safety. If they have Samuel in the slot to go with Diggs and the first rounder outside this offense will be cooking this year. Defense will never be on the field and will play with leads all year 

2 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

no way.  Samuel wasn't even the BPA on his crappy Washington team.

Get someone better and younger under a rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With Beane expecting a 3rd round comp pick and ending up with a 4 after moving their original 3rd rounder in the Rasul trade...this may very well be a year that we see Beane trade down and out of round 1 IMO. Recoup that 3rd to move back to the mid 30s to mid 40s.  If a WR isn't there they absolutely love, this is what I'm seeing happening (as long as a trade partner is there. 

Move back a bit and grab one of the WRs that slip out of round 1 and a DT like Sweat if he's there in round 2...then find talent the rest of the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It really depends how the 27 teams in front of us go. Suddenly the Chargers have lost their top-2 WRs, meaning they now likely covet a WR ahead of us where a few days ago it was far less likely. Tampa was at risk of losing their best WR but offered him a big payday to stay, but he’s 31 at the start of the season and will eventually need to be replaced. We know the Cards are likely taking one, and the Titans just overpaid big time for Ridley, likely taking them out of consideration as they have other needs early on to address.

i can see the following teams in front of us possibly going WR: Arizona, Chargers, Giants, Jets (though I bet OL is addressed rd 1), Broncos, maybe Colts, maybe Bengals, and Houston. Then there’s the Chiefs who have fewer needs than most, but WR being one of them doesn’t rule out a trade up for them to slide in front of us.

That’s 8-9 teams who could be looking WR in round 1, and even if 2-3 of them listed don’t go that direction, that leaves 6 that very well could.

Harrison, Nabors, Odunze, Thomas Jr, AD Mitchell, McConkey, Worthy make the top-7 options currently. Assuming a worst-case scenario and the Bills have a very bad night 1 of the draft and all these guys are gone before 28, I can easily see trading back or getting another BPA at a position of need. McD would be salivating if DeJean or Chop fell as a result. I’m not advocating for this, I’m just keeping a real perspective on what COULD happen.

At the end of the day, whatever happens, we need to leave the first 2 rounds with at least one WR. Not to replace Gabe, but to replace Diggs. I’d rather it be round 1, but there’s always a chance it doesn’t happen that way. 

• Agree 1

Bills are light at DT and S.  I could see a veteran DT and S signing in FA.  Going into the draft they then could go WR, DT, S, CB and DE.  I hate saying this because I want a WR, but I think Beane might go DL first and then WR.  

Samuel signing was so they don’t have to reach.  Really depends on how the draft plays out.  Which is smart. 
I think the OL is set. They get bigger w Edward’s at guard.  I think the line will be better next year. McGovern is more athletic than Morse and having them play next to each other had some problems. Quoting Marino here. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 2