CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

Guaranteed money guarantees he is here for two years. If it works out, we have him here for a third year at $8m or so - and if he is good, thats a steal considering how much higher good WR's will cost then - and if not, we suffer little dead money. Only risk is if he faceplants this year - and I'm not thinking thats likely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/14/2024 at 7:52 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yes he is a clear upgrade over what the Bills had 

He’s not an upgrade over Davis because he’s not a Davis replacement. They’re completely different types of players that run completely different route trees. During that time Samuel has an average depth of target of ~6.5 yards vs ~15 yards for Gabe. Comparing their catch percentages is incredibly dumb.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

Thank you for posting! 

If anyone watches this breakdown and still hates the move they are crazy. If you can’t envision the element of explosive playmaking he will bring, I don’t know what to tell ya!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Mat68 said:

X is the player on the line there for does not motion.  Its pretty arbitrary in modern football.  The best wrs move around to make it harder to scheme against.  People saying they want a X or the Bills need an X they want a WR that is big and tall.   

So how do you describe the John Brown Type ?

Samuel is not that. But is Troy Franklin ?

2 hours ago, gobills404 said:

He’s not an upgrade over Davis because he’s not a Davis replacement. They’re completely different types of players that run completely different route trees. During that time Samuel has an average depth of target of ~6.5 yards vs ~15 yards for Gabe. Comparing their catch percentages is incredibly dumb.

He is not a replacement, but overall it's a big improvement IMO.  Way more versatile, faster, better hands.  Can operate much better in short yardage and goal line. 

Samuel's previous QBs:  Taylor Heinicke, Kyle Allen, Will Grier, Teddy Bridgewater, P.J. Walker, Carson Wentz, and Sam Howell.

Edited by nedboy7
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

He is not a replacement, but overall it's a big improvement IMO.  Way more versatile, faster, better hands.  Can operate much better in short yardage and goal line. 

Samuel's previous QBs:  Taylor Heinicke, Kyle Allen, Will Grier, Teddy Bridgewater, P.J. Walker, Carson Wentz, and Sam Howell.

Somehow fans got in their heads an X WR needs to be some big guy.  The X needs to be able to handle man coverage, win off the line, and have a good route tree.  Diggs and Samuel can both do that.  Hell maybe Shakir as well if given the chance.  

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, gobills404 said:

You’re right- they’re completely different.  But to say that he isn’t replacing him isn’t correct imo.  I think he’s going to be top 2 in WR snaps unless we trade up for Thomas or Mitchell.  I think both of those guys would take Gabes spot and take 70-80% of his snaps.  Many of gabes snaps were due to his blocking ability and had little to do with the routes being run.

Samuel eats in the intermediate routes.  10-25 yards, he’s a separation machine imo.  There’s a chance he’ll be running a lot of the routes gabe ran as I think he’s better equipped to take on the outside role than shakir is.   Both Shakir and Samuel will have pretty heavy roles in offense imo.  With Kincaid and Knox also in the mix for snaps, whichever rookie WR we draft will have to beat out solid vets for snaps.  Dunno if the Franklin, Leggette, pearsall types would run away with all of gabes snaps. Thomas or Mitchell, maybe. 

I think samuel is an upgrade over Gabe more than he’s an upgrade over any other WR we lost.  He’s going to get a lot of snaps.  Just like Gabe. Unlike Harty.  Unlike Sherfield.  Shakir is still here and will be getting his share of snaps. Unlike Gabe, samuel gets open and can do so 25 yards down field.  That’s why he’s an upgrade imo

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Somehow fans got in their heads an X WR needs to be some big guy.  The X needs to be able to handle man coverage, win off the line, and have a good route tree.  Diggs and Samuel can both do that.  Hell maybe Shakir as well if given the chance.  

Mostly this.  I'm not sure how physical he is to be able to beat the jam, but no CB is pressing him at the line with that speed.

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Gabe Dropavis didn’t have a route tree, more like a branch.  

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Watched his highlights because I've never really watched him before. In particular I watched the year he was with Joe Brady in Carolina.

Truly is Deebo light. Ran multiple times and for multiple TDs out of the backfield. Although I still think/want a WR early in the draft, I think our WR corps has already been upgraded with the subtraction of Gabe, Harty and Sherfield and the addition of Hollins and Samuel.

• Like (+1) 3

Great cover1 break down of Curtis Samuel. Excited that we got this guy and he will be a weapon. Hope we also draft a deep threat WR in the draft.

Edited by wppete

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

....all I know is when you drop the ball your "depth of target" is zero.

• Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Finally back after a week ban 🙄

Absolutely love this signing, dude has so much potential with a competent QB and offense  

Sky is the limit, don't be surprised if he puts up 1k all purpose yards

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Man, you just want to convert everyone to positions other than the positions where they've found their footing and success in the NFL today, huh?

It's not about "needing some big guy". It's about where a player plays best.

Over the last number of seasons, Curtis Samuel has had 1042 snaps out of the Slot compared to 370 on the Boundary. He's someone who has burst off the line and gets open quickly in the short and intermediate passing game. He's tailor made there and has become the player he is there.

You don't take a guy who plays less than 40% on the Outside and tell him he lives there now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Man, you just want to convert everyone to positions other than the positions where they've found their footing and success in the NFL today, huh?

It's not about "needing some big guy". It's about where a player plays best.

Over the last number of seasons, Curtis Samuel has had 1042 snaps out of the Slot compared to 370 on the Boundary. He's someone who has burst off the line and gets open quickly in the short and intermediate passing game. He's tailor made there and has become the player he is there.

You don't take a guy who plays less than 40% on the Outside and tell him he lives there now.

I'd say that what happened in the past is immaterial.  But it would be interesting to know where Brady played him mostly when they were both in Carolina in 2020 (that info might be contained somewhere in the thread, I didn't read all of it).

Edited by Doc