Arik Armstead released, signs with Jax

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just saw him at Duffs ngl

Wow didn’t want a big move this offseason because of the cap but this would really excite me! 

After this though McD needs to go away and let Beane load up on WRs in the draft lol

Am I the only one who's just...not that excited about the idea of signing Armstead?

Yes, he's a good player. But paying a huge contract (which is what it will take to land him) to a 30 year old DT with zero All-Pro or Pro Bowl seasons on his resume seems..I dunno...like a waste of valuable resources?

We're already paying Ed Oliver and DaQuan Jones, not to mention the enormous Von Miller contract. And now we're gonna shell out big bucks in an offseason where we really don't have them to spend to a 30-year-old 3T?

I just...don't really understand this strategy. I don't understand why that vast amount of money wouldn't be better spent on some offensive weaponry or a legitimate starting safety. 

Shelling out big bucks to a 30+ D-lineman makes me feel like Beane and company haven't learned from past mistakes and are too focused on huge spending on the d-line and aging veterans when this SHOULD be a "get the cap right and re-allocate money to the offense" season.

Can't bring myself to get particularly excited about this one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

His wife is from Hornell and her parents still live there. She is also a UB grad.

Might be interested in raising their two daughters close to family 

How far is Pittsburgh from Hornell? 😅

It is just not the Bills that have been investing a lot of money in their d-line.  Look at what the 49ers are doing and all of the activity so far in free agency for DTs and Defensive Ends.

3 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Duffs at 9:30am interesting. Rather see that $ spent on a wr (Mike Williams anyone?) with a dl drafted at 60 or in the 4th to complement Oliver and Daquan 

This is an unbelievable WR draft go to that well multiple times this year. It’s not an amazing D line draft. Mike Williams is always injured and honestly is just a slightly better version of Gabe Davis to me. No thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Duffs at 9:30am interesting. Rather see that $ spent on a wr (Mike Williams anyone?) with a dl drafted at 60 or in the 4th to complement Oliver and Daquan 

This is a deep draft for WR's according to the "experts". With 11 picks I would expect (hope) the Bills select at least 2 of them and one of them at #28 or if they can trade up.

3 minutes ago, Yawning Frog said:

Never happening 

Isn't his wife a WNY girl. If so, you know the deal.... happy wife happy life.  Granted the Bills have to be in the ballpark $$$$ wise but I would say they have a shot here.

Beane doesn't operate this sloppy.  Seems like Buffalo is being floated out there to leverage Houston in paying more.  The big deals happen put of nowhere.  Not this watch stuff.

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

Am I the only one who's just...not that excited about the idea of signing Armstead?

Yes, he's a good player. But paying a huge contract (which is what it will take to land him) to a 30 year old DT with zero All-Pro or Pro Bowl seasons on his resume seems..I dunno...like a waste of valuable resources?

We're already paying Ed Oliver and DaQuan Jones, not to mention the enormous Von Miller contract. And now we're gonna shell out big bucks in an offseason where we really don't have them to spend to a 30-year-old 3T?

I just...don't really understand this strategy. I don't understand why that vast amount of money wouldn't be better spent on some offensive weaponry or a legitimate starting safety. 

Shelling out big bucks to a 30+ D-lineman makes me feel like Beane and company haven't learned from past mistakes and are too focused on huge spending on the d-line and aging veterans when this SHOULD be a "get the cap right and re-allocate money to the offense" season.

Can't bring myself to get particularly excited about this one.

I also would prefer using that money on Simmons, who is someone that would play every down vs. a rotational piece. I do like Armstead as a player, and do think we need a good 3rd DT, considering the injuries the last few years. Ed with the ankle issues 2 years ago, and DQ with the pec last year. They must have a plan at safety, we have nothing there. Rapp is best suited as the 3rd guy up, like he was last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what? He already had surgery didn’t he? It doesn’t take that long to heal that. He played through it in post season and was dominant at times

I noticed that last night but didn’t feel like pouring more ridicule on myself😂 so thanks for posting!

On Feb. 13, two days after the 49ers’ 25-22 overtime loss to Kansas City in Super Bowl LVIII, the four-time team captain agreed when asked if he will require a more “involved” meniscus procedure. He said his recovery could extend into at least late July when the 49ers report for training camp.

Based on Armstead’s outlook, it’s very likely he required a meniscus repair, which, for those with meniscus injuries, is a less common procedure that results in a longer recovery.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/post-surgery-recovery-outlook-for-49ers-arik-armstead-as-detailed-by-a-surgeon/ar-BB1jbNs4

The recovery timeline for a repair is often 4-6 months.

Edited by Coldfronts

Don't love the idea of adding a guy 30yo who missed significant time last two seasons. But at the same time there are really no offensive players that excite me left in FA. If they are going to spend money I guess this makes sense.