Bills sign Mack Hollins

9 minutes ago, MR8 said:

This is like saying "Chick-fil-A is an upgrade to McDonald's".... While it may be true, maybe we'd rather not scarf down ***** fast food of any brand. 

You sound like a chipotle scarfing buffoon!  Chic Fil A is some fine quality dining

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

The Chiefs whole WR room was filled with guys around Mack Hollins level this season and they managed to make it work. 

I'm not excited about this signing but it's not like he can be a Kelvin Benjamin level flop.  He's a backup/ST guys primarily with some decent NFL experience. 

That's true, but it's more of a numbers game for the Chiefs. What I mean by that is that they have way more total number of receivers contributing to the passing offense.

Last year their #2 wr in receptions was Justin Watson with 27. He had 2 TE's, a RB and another wr ahead of him. Which makes him #5 in receptions. 

And then they have 7 guys below him catch between 10-25 passes each, and another 6 that caught passes... Those bottom of the roster pass catchers produced nearly 150 receptions and 1500 yards with 9 TD's  on last year. 

Whereas the bottom roster guys including Knox caught 77 passes for 644 yards and 6 TD's...

I like this signing if he's wr 6 and we draft a #2 outside and a multi-functional slot / outside receiver to backup Shakir. 

I'm not sure if the guy was used properly in the past teams schemes. He's coming into a situation with an elite QB, adequate coaching and perhaps a chip on his shoulder, wanting to prove himself.......I think Hollins is going to surprise some people this year.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The difference here being that he is a proven special teamer, which this team values (arguably overvalues). 

I get what you're saying though and I do think that's a valid argument to be made. 

At least you understand it. I understand the whole ST argument. I don’t agree with it but I understand it. It’s way overvalued by this team and HC. Even the league is doing its best to rid themselves of the kicking game. And yet we have a fossil at HC that not only refuses to spend resources and money on it, he welcomes it. 

but yes, my argument could be best summed up in a game of would you rather from last year. 

would you rather have:

-Deonte Harty

-Trent Sherfield

-Tyler Matakevich

or

-Deandre Hopkins

-2 scrub rookies trying to make a name for themselves on STs in the NFL

anyone that would rather have the first group should just give up life now. There’s no hope for you. 

7 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

You sound like a chipotle scarfing buffoon!  Chic Fil A is some fine quality dining

Not as good as Popeyes 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

I'm not sure if the guy was used properly in the past teams schemes. He's coming into a situation with an elite QB, adequate coaching and perhaps a chip on his shoulder, wanting to prove himself.......I think Hollins is going to surprise some people this year.

So was Kumerow ...

So was Harty ...

So was Sherfield ...

Sooner or later we gotta get it right?!?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's the Jake Kumerow role guys. Calm down.

He's a great blocker at the X position and can catch a ball or two.

He had significantly better production than both Sherfield and Kumerow the last several years with a worse QB.

Cry about it all you want, it's a good signing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1

He did some nice things with the Raiders, so I agree, but I don’t like the fact he’s thirty. In today’s NFL that seems to be the expiration date for productive wide receiver play. 

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I like this signing if he's wr 6 and we draft a #2 outside and a multi-functional slot / outside receiver to backup Shakir. 

I gotta believe this is the plan, although he might be higher than 6 depending how Shorter / Hamler / other later round rookie WRs pan out. 

Going from Desmond Ridder to Allen might be a slight upgrade for him.   He is a similar player to Davis.  Plus blocker and decent down the field.  Fills a hole on the roster.  He is the line Shorter would have to surpass to make the team and see playing time.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

I gotta believe this is the plan, although he might be higher than 6 depending how Shorter / Hamler / other later round rookie WRs pan out. 

He did have one season a while ago where he did look good. But I think as Bills fans we need to stop tying ourselves in knots of wishful thinking. 

I'm assuming he's a good blocker, so yeah he's replacing Sherfield. But Sherfield was in the game way too often in key passing downs. Hopefully Hollins can be a 20 reception guy while not having to be that outside receiver running a crucial route on 3rd and 15 late in the game. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

No, a rebuild year because we created several large holes with massive holes already on the roster and we have not been serious about replacing them. We can't get a WR2 in the draft because McD doesn't play rookies. Unless there's a trade (unlikely), Hollins is your #2 for at least 6 games.

You might want to fact check your statements before you post them in the future.

All of the Bills' first round picks started as rookies:

• Tre White - started all 16 games as a rookie
  • Josh Allen - started 11 games as a rookie
  • Tremaine Edmunds - started all 15 games he played  as a rookie
  • Ed Oliver - started 7 games as a rookie
  • Greg Rosseau - started all 17 games as a rookie
  • Kaiir Elam - started 6 games as a rookie
  • Dalton Kincaid  - started 11 games as a rookie

Moreover, these 2nd rounders started as rookies:

• Dion Dawkins - started 11 games as a rookie
  • Cody Ford - started 15 games as a rookie
  • A.J. Epenesa - started 1 game as a rookie
  • O'Cyrus Torrence - started all 17 games as a rookie

Here are the other rookies who have started for the Bills as rookies:

• Spencer Brown - started 10 games as a rookie (3rd rounder)
  • Devin Singletary - started 8 games as a rookie  (3rd rounder)
  • Taron Johnson - started 2 games as a rookie (4th rounder)
  • Matt Milano - started 5 games as a rookie (5th rounder)
  • Christian Benford - started 5 games as a rookie (6th rounder)

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Wow. This guy hasn't done squat.  And this is the WR signing to help the WR room?  

This has to be a Kick returner right?  131 receptions in 6 years?  

I look at the eye rolls etc.  What has he done?  Let me guess this is ANOTHER beane WR signing that will magically become something catching balls from Allen.  Pardon me if I have seen this movie a ton of times.  Last year we signed 2 of them and let them walk this offseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

He had significantly better production than both Sherfield and Kumerow the last several years with a worse QB.

Come on!   If it’s not a Deandre Hopkins, Tee Higgins or Calvin Ridley signing, people will be upset.   We all know the Bills have unlimited cap space…🙄

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Come on!   If it’s not a Deandre Hopkins, Tee Higgins or Calvin Ridley signing, people will be upset.   We all know the Bills have unlimited cap space…🙄

Exactly why they shouldn’t waste what little cap space they have on a guy that provides almost zero impact. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Beane is unreal at signing crap players when we need impact players at the position.  Especially this year with money being so tight.

giphy.gif

What "impact" WRs would you suggest for the money the Bills have to spend????    Keep in mind that the Bills have to have STers, and not all "impact" players are interested in playing ST even if they are willing to take less money to play for a contender.

18 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

If he replaces Neal at gunner than there's a good chance we can go back to carrying 6 wr's as well. 

So it's:

1. Diggs

2. Draft (1st or 2nd round)

3. Shakir

4. Draft (please)

5. Hollins vs. Shorter

6. ??? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

If he replaces Neal at gunner than there's a good chance we can go back to carrying 6 wr's as well. 

So it's:

1. Diggs

3. Shakir

4. Draft (please)

5. Hollins vs. Shorter

6. ??? 

Even this frightens me 😬

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

So it's:

1. Diggs

3. Shakir

4. Draft (please)

5. Hollins vs. Shorter

6. ??? 

6 is the guy that doesn’t make 5