Bills top 30 visits

On 4/3/2024 at 4:29 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

would Beane use any top 30 visits on MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, BTJ ?   Or would he not do so to stay in stealth mode 

I swear I read something early offseason that Beane didn't bother on them because they were too high up to grab.  I could be wrong, but it might explain why no meetings with them.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Thank you BBG.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know @GunnerBill loves him. I would be surprised if we went OT in the 1st round but I guess I wouldn't hate it, at least it would be an investment on the correct side of the ball.

Yea I am a fan. I actually see a bit of Dion Dawkins in his game. I can see the Bills liking him.

However, I don't think they would go that way at #28.... that isn't what this is about IMO. All of Baltimore, San Fran and KC have been strongly liked with Morgan. If there is a team early on day 2 who like him maybe the Bills are trying to set themselves up as the spot to get to.

• Like (+1) 6

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

However, I don't think they would go that way at #28.... that isn't what this is about IMO. All of Baltimore, San Fran and KC have been strongly liked with Morgan. If there is a team early on day 2 who like him maybe the Bills are trying to set themselves up as the spot to get to.

That was my thought in trading back with Washington, if they see him as a LT they would need to jump up to our spot to make sure they get him. Beane getting info on him to sell Washington on the pick? That would be an interesting bit of maneuvering.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

That was my thought in trading back with Washington, if they see him as a LT they would need to jump up to our spot to make sure they get him. Beane getting info on him to sell Washington on the pick? That would be an interesting bit of maneuvering.

Yea Carolina is the other possibility. They have been doing work on left tackles. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I swear I read something early offseason that Beane didn't bother on them because they were too high up to grab.  I could be wrong, but it might explain why no meetings with them.

Yes, it was reported that they didn't bother to meet with any of them at the Combine. I think at the time they were working under the impression that Diggs would probably be here. If they could go back, maybe they would have.

As for a Top 30 visit with any, it's possible that they may want to visit with some of them now considering they didn't at the Combine. But it's also very possible their agents may tell them not to bother with where we're picking. These top prospects generally aren't interested in touring the country and are known to deny visits for teams they feel are a waste of time.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes, it was reported that they didn't bother to meet with any of them at the Combine. I think at the time they were working under the impression that Diggs would probably be here. If they could go back, maybe they would have.

As for a Top 30 visit with any, it's possible that they may want to visit with some of them now considering they didn't at the Combine. But it's also very possible their agents may tell them not to bother with where we're picking. These top prospects generally aren't interested in touring the country and are known to deny visits for teams they feel are a waste of time.

Agreed. And believe it or not, some might not want to play in the Buffalo weather consistently. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I am a fan. I actually see a bit of Dion Dawkins in his game. I can see the Bills liking him.

We could trade back to 33 with  Carolina so they can get back into the 1st and get their 3rd in return.  

16 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We could trade back to 33 with  Carolina so they can get back into the 1st and get their 3rd in return.  

while this would be somewhat upsetting, especially depending on what WR’s go pick 28-32,  it could be good value for us 

I just expect Beane is much more likely to move up & this is the year where he might say “F it” and make a huge move

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

while this would be somewhat upsetting, especially depending on what WR’s go pick 28-32,  it could be good value for us 

I just expect Beane is much more likely to move up & this is the year where he might say “F it” and make a huge move

I am good with that also.

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

depends what else we do at the position.

Maybe if they got him after a trade down …and they still got a bigger body later in the second…

Still not my preferred option with what they end up with 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Looks like a lot of WRs coming through this week.

Where he ends up going will be super interesting.  IMO he could go anywhere from the teens to mid Round 2

He meets 2 of the 3 criteria we need

SPEEEED  &  Separation

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Maason is massive.  A consideration with a 3rd rounder if we trade down?  Or 4th if he’s there

I thought Maason would be an awesome day 3 add but with all the recent buzz I’m not sure he makes it that long. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

For those that want us to trade up for one of the big 3 receivers, do you think the Bills would do that if they hadn't met with them prior?

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good.

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

For those that want us to trade up for one of the big 3 receivers, do you think the Bills would do that if they hadn't met with them prior?

I don't know.  In the past they really haven't drafted someone they haven't met with in some form.

That makes me think they won't move up far enough to grab one of them, so they aren't bothering meeting them.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't know.  In the past they really haven't drafted someone they haven't met with in some form.

That makes me think they won't move up far enough to grab one of them, so they aren't bothering meeting them.

That's what I'm thinking too.  I think the GM's talk on some level and Beane knows the big 3 won't make it to 9, and we don't have the ammo to go up higher.  I also think Beane believes in our spread it out offensive philosophy, and that these Tier 2 receivers might be just as good for us and allow us to retain picks

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

That's what I'm thinking too.  I think the GM's talk on some level and Beane knows the big 3 won't make it to 9, and we don't have the ammo to go up higher.  I also think Beane believes in our spread it out offensive philosophy, and that these Tier 2 receivers might be just as good for us and allow us to retain picks

In my mind, there are five WRs who seem projected to be WR1s: Harrison, Oduze and Nabers sound like slam dunks. Brian Thomas has one year that shows that he could be. Adonai Mitchell has the physical gifts, but sounds like a project.

After that? Everyone sounds like a situational piece. Now, is there a decent chance that one of those 5 is a bust, and we are talking about a gem that all the others teams missed? I'd say so. But it seems that if he misses out on Thomas, Beane want to be in position to have his favorite of the 2nd tier and have the ammo to take him somewhere in the 2nd round.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

See I'm with you in believing Beane might not think like fans do about a " #1 "  WR.  I think he and Brady feel they need fast guys who can get open and catch the ball consistently.   I could be wrong, he has been part of drafting 2 bigger guys in Carolina and here.  So who knows.

I'm just excited to see who we get, the way things are schemed under Brady and how Josh performs this year.  Many have put the Bills superbowl hopes in a coffin and buried it, but I think we are going to actually surprise folks this year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

In my mind, there are five WRs who seem projected to be WR1s: Harrison, Oduze and Nabers sound like slam dunks. Brian Thomas has one year that shows that he could be. Adonai Mitchell has the physical gifts, but sounds like a project.

After that? Everyone sounds like a situational piece. Now, is there a decent chance that one of those 5 is a bust, and we are talking about a gem that all the others teams missed? I'd say so. But it seems that if he misses out on Thomas, Beane want to be in position to have his favorite of the 2nd tier and have the ammo to take him somewhere in the 2nd round.

When I watch Franklin's tape out of Oregon, it just screams non-attitude Diggs.  Dude it all over the field, running every route, and catches with his hands.  I know he had some drops issues in 2023, but this kid can really be something in my opinion.  With the Bills spending so much time with him, I think he's their guy.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I don't see Mitchell, or Thomas Jr making it to the 2nd.  Heck I don't see McConkey making it past KC.  Teams know Buffalo needs a WR, so I don't see the 2nd tier lasting that long. 

Maybe a trade back with Washington if Beane And Brady feel Franklin, Tez, or Coleman can be the guy for us.

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

When I watch Franklin's tape out of Oregon, it just screams non-attitude Diggs.  Dude it all over the field, running every route, and catches with his hands.  I know he had some drops issues in 2023, but this kid can really be something in my opinion.  With the Bills spending so much time with him, I think he's their guy.

I like him. Many had him as #4 at worst before his combine workout.  I think Tez and or Coleman can be good as well. Both of those guys reach out and ***** the ball really well.  All 3 can win contested jump balls as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't see Mitchell, or Thomas Jr making it to the 2nd.  Heck I don't see McConkey making it past KC.  Teams know Buffalo needs a WR, so I don't see the 2nd tier lasting that long. 

Maybe a trade back with Washington if Beane And Brady feel Franklin, Tez, or Coleman can be the guy for us.

I like him. Many had him as #4 at worst before his combine workout.  I think Tez and or Coleman can be good as well. Both of those guys reach out and ***** the ball really well.  All 3 can win contested jump balls as well.

I think teams knowing the Bills need a WR might make the Bills need to be erratic and trade up just to catch people off guard.  Right now, the Bills have a bright neon sign over them that screams "drafting a receiver"

When reviewing tape, I look at how a player separates off the line and how they catch the ball with their hands.  I also only really watch highlights against ranked team.  In college, getting open or catching a deep ball means nothing to me.  That receiver could be playing against a nobody.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Virgil said:

I think teams knowing the Bills need a WR might make the Bills need to be erratic and trade up just to catch people off guard.  Right now, the Bills have a bright neon sign over them that screams "drafting a receiver"

When reviewing tape, I look at how a player separates off the line and how they catch the ball with their hands.  I also only really watch highlights against ranked team.  In college, getting open or catching a deep ball means nothing to me.  That receiver could be playing against a nobody.

We do need to win contested balls,but all the guys we listed can do that.  I am the same way, how did they play and against who?

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think Beane wants Thomas, but if he's not there Franklin is my choice. The "oh, he's too slight" is less of a concern in my mind knowing that you can stick him at X and dial up crazy combinations for Samuel, Shakir, Cook and Kincaid, and if they leave him alone he can win deep.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think Beane wants Thomas, but if he's not there Franklin is my choice. The "oh, he's too slight" is less of a concern in my mind knowing that you can stick him at X and dial up crazy combinations for Samuel, Shakir, Cook and Kincaid, and if they leave him alone he can win deep.

The guy can put on 10lbs of muscle by his 2nd year.  I'm not worried about his weight either.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I love what we are doing. Everybody and their mother knows we are drafting WR round 1 so we don't even try to hide it and are doing all the work that can be done. This way nobody knows which WRs are we in fact interested in.

Another reason to trade up for Latu. Deke everyone out so it's not too costly. Then pick up a WR in the second round and a safety in free agency after June 1. If you have a need in a position in which the draft is unusually deep, let the draft come to you. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

it’s also possible that none of the teams in that 6-10 range want to trade down to 28… takes 2 to tango 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Im not too concerned about this .. there are just so many options for WRs this time that teams might be trying to jump them and end up taking a different guy to the one the Bills like … it’s a different situation to Elam when options were a lot more limited 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Where there is smoke … oh wait that was just Beane coming back from the dispensary.

I’m with many here - if they like him, ok in the 2nd, but still not what I would do.  I just don’t see him as a receiver worth even a late 1st.  I don’t think adding Coleman gets the Bills any more wins than they would get without him.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I’d go a bit higher than “situational pieces”.  I think there are several more who have potential to be solid or better starters.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Good.

Beane isn’t going to show his cards before he needs to.  Why alert other AFC teams of an increased chance of us trading up

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I worry a little bit about how slight he is, and playing against stronger more physical corners in the NFL. 

I see a guy that can run the vertical routes that Gabe ran (without the élite blocking) and maybe a little better at the intermediate routes. I’d like him a lot as a 2nd rounder if we double dip as I think he’ll be a productive #2. I just don’t see him as an elite #1 in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

People need to get a 1,000 yard rookie out of their head immediately. The returners are going to get the bulk of the targets and the rookie will get their share but 7-800 yards would be a win for a WR that we draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Im thinking Troy Franklin is the pick...

Just turned 21 a couple months ago and.....

He's already a really good football player who runs clever routes and gets open consistently; he knows how to manipulate and fool DBs;  beats press, man, and zone coverage consistently;  excels at getting open on extended plays;  has instincts in the open field that you can't teach and a top playing speed that is a sight to see. 

Concerns about his size are  overblown imo,  he just turned 21 a month or so ago and he'll fill out some still...

Regardless, he's already one of the very best in the class vs press coverage and bigger cbs can't corral him at the line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1