Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

Given the cap space from Tre isn't available until post-June 1, are the Bills prohibited from reaching a "handshake deal" with a player now that is actually signed after June 1? If yes, that may way a to grab a player they want now but can't sign because of current cap constraints.

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cool I can also point to UFA failure after UFA Failure with guaranteed money from mulitple positions EVERY year, that is kinda obvious and shouldnt need to be explained lol.

So what hurts the team more.  A UFA Bust that you cannot get out of without dead money.  Or a 4th round rookie Bust?

I think we had a better chance of success with a UFA S who has started in the NFL AND a fifth round rookie S, over just a fifth round rookie S expected to start.

But hey, Matt Milano. I guess you disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Gotta remember those picks displace players on the lower scale of the 51 active man roster.  At least once you get past the 3rd or 4th round. 

.Yes, which is why the $12 million paid by Terry is not equal to the cap hit.  OvertheCap's cap hit estimate of $3.25 million is pretty accurate, vs Spotrac, which is now down to $6.7 million estimate. 

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think we had a better chance of success with a UFA S who has started in the NFL AND a fifth round rookie S, over just a fifth round rookie S expected to start.

But hey, Matt Milano. I guess you disagree. 

Are you sure.  So tell me Who would you trust building the secondary.  Some poster on this board that thinks a UFA safety is better.  Or a Organization that took too cast offs mid tier UFAs and turned them into All Pro Safeties?  If there is ONE position group I have NO concerns with finding players it is in the secondary. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Are you sure.  So tell me Who would you trust building the secondary.  Some poster on this board that thinks a UFA safety is better.  Or an Organization that took too cast offs mid tier UFAs and turned them into All Pro Safeties?  If there is ONE position group I have NO concerns with finding players it is in the secondary. 

you understand you just made my point for me? They found two All-Pro’s for 7 years. By bringing in guys who had played in the NFL as UFAs. Not by drafting fifth rounders. Which is what I’m arguing for lmao.

I watched Damar Hamlin play, and Jaquan Johnson before him, and the other bums that we’ve drafted over the years to backup Poyer and Hyde. None of them were good. In fact, the only S that has been worth anything was Rapp, who was a UFA last year. 

Harder to destroy your own argument than what you just did. If that wasn’t intentional, woof.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

you understand you just made my point for me? They found two All-Pro’s for 7 years. By bringing in guys who had played in the NFL as UFAs. Not by drafting fifth rounders. Which is what I’m arguing for lmao.

I watched Damar Hamlin play, and Jaquan Johnson before him, and the other bums that we’ve drafted over the years to backup Poyer and Hyde. None of them were good. In fact, the only S that has been worth anything was Rapp, who was a UFA last year. 

Harder to destroy your own argument than what you just did. If that wasn’t intentional, woof.

Cool So rookies couldnt beat out all pros thanks.  Got it 

Moving along, I get you  you are teh same thing that frags everything they do.  I am sorry your Pats are ***** at this point.  moving along 

Fact is this Coaching Staff clearly thinks the UFA safety position is not something they like at this point. 

Also NAME your safeties you want signed 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Are you sure.  So tell me Who would you trust building the secondary.  Some poster on this board that thinks a UFA safety is better.  Or a Organization that took too cast offs mid tier UFAs and turned them into All Pro Safeties?  If there is ONE position group I have NO concerns with finding players it is in the secondary. 

I'm bracing myself for real money spent at Safety soon.  

When in reality, I'm completely fine with Rapp, Lewis, a cheap vet and a draft pick.  Give me one splash move/trade and fill in everywhere else with vet minimums and draft picks at this point.  We won't, because we're obsessed with rotations and depth, but I would. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Cool So rookies couldnt beat out all pros thanks.  Got it 

Moving along, I get you  you are teh same thing that frags everything they do.  I am sorry your Pats are ***** at this point.  moving along 

Oof that’s a white flag.

Jaquan is out of the league. He couldn’t beat out anyone, anywhere. 

I’m sorry for being a Pats fan because I would like them to bring in a vet S in free agency. I’m such a monster!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I'm bracing myself for real money spent at Safety soon.  

When in reality, I'm completely fine with Rapp, Lewis, a cheap vet and a draft pick.  Give me one splash move/trade and fill in everywhere else with vet minimums and draft picks at this point.  We won't, because we're obsessed with rotations and depth, but I would. 

I would be all for this.  Let safeties get over paid.  Go find your next group in the draft in one of the easier positions to play on this McD Defense.  To be Honest Taron probably has the most difficult position in this defense to be honest, that and Mike.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Oof that’s a white flag.

Jaquan is out of the league. He couldn’t beat out anyone, anywhere. 

I’m sorry for being a Pats fan because I would like them to bring in a vet S in free agency. I’m such a monster!

Moving along with you, I should have known better than to try and engage you, back to the ignore list. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I would be all for this.  Let safeties get over paid.  Go find your next group in the draft in one of the easier positions to play on this McD Defense.  To be Honest Taron probably has the most difficult position in this defense to be honest, that and Mike.

Moving along with you, I should have known better than to try and engage you, back to the ignore list. 

You want them to bring in a couple vets like they did with Poyer and Hyde? That’s crazy! How did that work out?

- you, arguing to not bring in veteran safeties. 

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You want them to bring in a couple vets like they did with Poyer and Hyde? That’s crazy! How did that work out?

- you, arguing to not bring in veteran safeties. 

Cool We have one.  Tell me who is who (this is Hyde, Poyer and Rapp)

BEFORE BUFFALO

103 Tackles

2 QB Hits

1 FF

1 FR

2 INT

330 tackles

5 QB hits

1 FF

3 FR

9 INT

227 tackles

8 QB Hits

2 FF

5 FR

8 INT

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Cool We have one.  Tell me who is who

BEFORE BUFFALO

103 Tackles

2 QB Hits

1 FF

1 FR

2 INT

330 tackles

5 QB hits

1 FF

3 FR

9 INT

227 tackles

8 QB Hits

2 FF

5 FR

8 INT

You should have also listed your magical fifth round rookie that you can’t name.

NFL stats

0 tackles

0 QB hits

0 FF

0 FR

0 INT.

Poyer (he barely played IIRC)

Rapp

Hyde

I like Rapp a lot. I think he needs to get his discipline coached up a little bit but I have a feeling he’s firmly entrenched as a starter. I just want another vet that can be his Micah Hyde, instead of the next Damar Hamlin or Jaquan Johnson.

You should have also listed your magical fifth round rookie that you can’t name.

NFL stats

0 tackles

0 QB hits

0 FF

0 FR

0 INT.

Poyer (he barely played IIRC)

Rapp

Hyde

I like Rapp a lot. I think he needs to get his discipline coached up a little bit but I have a feeling he’s firmly entrenched as a starter. I just want another vet that can be his Micah Hyde, instead of the next Damar Hamlin or Jaquan Johnson.

WHO is WHO?

You know crying about No Veteran Safety.  SO WHO IS WHO

I just told you. 

Poyer, Rapp, Hyde. Read the post before you start blowing a gasket

Cool so you see Rapp is right there on Par with Hyde (which you clearly didnt know with your typical daily FO Sucks takes.  So guess we dont need that veteran safety.  Thanks.  now you are back to ignore, I am already bored with you again. (took a two weeks congrats). 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Cool so you see Rapp is right there on Par with Hyde (which you clearly didnt know with your typical daily FO Sucks takes.  So guess we dont need that veteran safety.  Thanks.  now you are back to ignore, I am already bored with you again. (took a two weeks congrats). 

What. Rapp can’t play BOTH safety positions. And I said I like him, so I clearly agreed with the FO decision to bring him back.

Is it happy hour where you’re from? 

22 minutes ago, CirclnWagons said:

I know it’s bad word and ruffles a lot of feathers but when will we be ok to start calling this a rebuild 

It’s reloading.

The Bills have 20 of the 22 starters set.

It’s all about depth and Beane can usually pull a rabbit or two out of his hat pertaining to that.

Not worried about the Bills in the least until the divisional round. It is at that point where the waters start to get murky.

Unless Allen goes down, the Bills are ALWAYS a contender. The rest of the team has to catch up to him starting in the divisional round though.

Edited by njbuff

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It’s reloading.

The Bills have 20 of the 22 starters set.

It’s all about depth and Beane can usually pull a rabbit or two out of his hat pertaining to that.

Not worried about the Bills in the least until the divisional round. It is at that point where the waters start to get murky.

Unless Allen goes down, the Bills are ALWAYS a contender. The rest of the team has to catch up to him starting in the divisional round though.

Yes, it's kind of a rolling cap restoration project.  Don't make any big splashes this year; establish a competitive starting team; draft WR and DL with your first two picks; stock the PS and some of the backup positions with remaining draft picks; then do a second cap purge next year with Von and...? Their O will be dynamic enough for Josh to take them to a SB.  If not this year, they will be back in position to make the necessary moves next year.

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

With the remaining restructures/extensions, would it be possible cap-wise to sign Curtis Samuel and Justin Simmons? 

I don't know if they will come away with Simmons but have to imagine we will come away with a veteran DT and S once the dust settles.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like there are still some fans who don't understand the situation we're in w/ the cap.  Which is understandable - this is literally the 1st time most of us have had to experience the kind of tight budget that happens when a top tier QB's 2nd contract kicks in.

We don't have the money to sign guys we all want to see signed.  From now on, Beane is going to have to piece together certain areas of the team w/ middle-tier players and bargain hunting.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

I feel like there are still some fans who don't understand the situation we're in w/ the cap.  Which is understandable - this is literally the 1st time most of us have had to experience the kind of tight budget that happens when a top tier QB's 2nd contract kicks in.

We don't have the money to sign guys we all want to see signed.  From now on, Beane is going to have to piece together certain areas of the team w/ middle-tier players and bargain hunting.

I think a lot of us realize that.  It's just frustration that we're falling further behind KC. 

Guys like Jones & Epenesa truly do make a lot of sense as must re-signs, but these are the same types of guys that are NOT moving the needle when we get to the high stakes games.

Re-signing them basically takes us out of the running (it seems) for maybe one guy who does.  But then we're insanely undermanned on the DL, so it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Im not saying you are wrong looking at some of the carry on  going on around here … but what’s there to understand ? They wasted their money on some bad signings ..particularly Miller .. so it means they got to fill their holes with AJ Epenesa for $6m a year instead of Danielle Hunter at $25m a year ..

All the sulking in the world ain’t  going to change that until 2025 .. ( hopefully)  …

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think a lot of us realize that.  It's just frustration that we're falling further behind KC. 

Guys like Jones & Epenesa truly do make a lot of sense as must re-signs, but these are the same types of guys that are NOT moving the needle when we get to the high stakes games.

Re-signing them basically takes us out of the running (it seems) for maybe one guy who does.  But then we're insanely undermanned on the DL, so it is what it is.

For sure.  I think this is something else we all know, but worth repeating - we're going to have to draft very well moving forward if we want to stay in contention.  That's also true of the Chiefs & Bengals.  Beane has been a good drafter, but he'll have to be better now.

It helps that we'll have more picks this year & probably next year too.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Falling behind KC????

How?????

In 2024 if the Bills have a healthy Matt Milano, a healthy Daquan Jones, and a healthiER Von Miller, the D will already be better.  And yes, that's even acknowledging the Safety situation because if there's one thing McDermott always gets right it's Safeties.  Plus Rasul Douglas will be with the team for the whole year.

Our offense is almost entirely the same, with the exception of Morse and Gabe, but I think it's addition by subtraction with Gabe and McGovern fits more into what the Bills are moving towards in offensive philosophy.

We also still have plenty of really valuable free agents out there and the draft is still coming up.

All of this is without accounting for other factors like a full offseason for Brady to implement his offense and potential growth from young players.

R-E-L-A-X... we gooood.

56 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im not saying you are wrong looking at some of the carry on  going on around here … but what’s there to understand ? They wasted their money on some bad signings ..particularly Miller .. so it means they got to fill their holes with AJ Epenesa for $6m a year instead of Danielle Hunter at $25m a year ..

All the sulking in the world ain’t  going to change that until 2025 .. ( hopefully)  …

They fixed the Miller signing already.  And I bet he looks much more like himself next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

Things will improve rapidly when Von, Knox & Diggs contracts (dead cap) are reasonable to end. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

We have to be under by now. Any updates? 

We have to be under the cap by today. I'm sure we were. 

However, I don't think it's by much at all. After re-signing Daquan Jones, AJ Epenesa, Taylor Rapp, David Edwards, and Cam Lewis and signing Mitch Trubisky, Nicholas Morrow, Mack Hollins, and Matt Haack - in trying to keep track of the moves we made to get out from under 42+ over and factoring in those moves - I have us "right up on it", as Beane likes to say.

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

However, I don't think it's by much at all. After re-signing Daquan Jones, AJ Epenesa, Taylor Rapp, David Edwards, and Cam Lewis and signing Mitch Trubisky, Nicholas Morrow, Mack Hollins, and Matt Haack - in trying to keep track of the moves we made to get out from under 42+ over and factoring in those moves - I have us "right up on it", as Beane likes to say.

He will now make further restructuring moves as required to create more space for any further signings …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He will now make further restructuring moves as required to create more space for any further signings …

Of course, we pretty much have to. Though the levers we can pull are getting pretty slim. Pretty much a Taron extension and an Oliver re-structure are the ones i'm waiting on. Hopefully they can get an extension done soon. The only others I can really think of are a Martin release that saves about a million, a Milano re-structure, and/or a Diggs re-structure. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah. At this point the only moves I can see that free up enough cap space to sign anyone are a Taron Extension (which will likely be for in season moves) and a Diggs restructure (which would have been quick and easy to do if the team wanted)

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Falling behind KC????

How?????

I wouldn't say we're "falling behind," but the Chiefs definitely have the advantage (again).

-KC as-is was good enough to win the Super Bowl already

-Their biggest needs are tackle & WR, and they've got the money to pursue one while drafting the other.

-Resigned Chris Jones.

-Now have $15.3 million in cap space.

-Just like we expect for our players, it's fair to expect many of their young guys will improve after another season.

Here's some of their recent draft picks that have become starters & will likely improve even more -

Offense:

Rashee Rice WR (2023 2nd round

Wayna Morse LT (2023 3rd round)

Isiah Pacheco RB (2022 7th round)

Creed Humphrey C (2021 2nd round) - 2nd team All Pro, 2 x Pro Bowl

Trey Smith RG (2021 6th round)

Defense:

Trent McDuffie CB (2022 1st round) - 1st team All Pro

George Karlaftis DE (2022 1st round)

Bryan Cook SS (2022 2nd round)

Nick Bolton MLB (2021 2nd round)

Their OL is mostly young draft picks, their defense was #2 in ypg & resigned their best player, and they've got more money to spend. Not only that, they've got that Super Bowl credibility that'll attract players easier like the Pats were able to do. The Bills have less money, older team, key players coming off injuries, and only made it to the divisional round. That's saying nothing about the obvious coaching disadvantage.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I wouldn't say we're "falling behind," but the Chiefs definitely have the advantage (again).

-KC as-is was good enough to win the Super Bowl already

-Their biggest needs are tackle & WR, and they've got the money to pursue one while drafting the other.

-Resigned Chris Jones.

-Now have $15.3 million in cap space.

-Just like we expect for our players, it's fair to expect many of their young guys will improve after another season.

Here's some of their recent draft picks that have become starters & will likely improve even more -

Offense:

Rashee Rice WR (2023 2nd round

Wayna Morse LT (2023 3rd round)

Isiah Pacheco RB (2022 7th round)

Creed Humphrey C (2021 2nd round) - 2nd team All Pro, 2 x Pro Bowl

Trey Smith RG (2021 6th round)

Defense:

Trent McDuffie CB (2022 1st round) - 1st team All Pro

George Karlaftis DE (2022 1st round)

Bryan Cook SS (2022 2nd round)

Nick Bolton MLB (2021 2nd round)

Their OL is mostly young draft picks, their defense was #2 in ypg & resigned their best player, and they've got more money to spend. Not only that, they've got that Super Bowl credibility that'll attract players easier like the Pats were able to do. The Bills have less money, older team, key players coming off injuries, and only made it to the divisional round. That's saying nothing about the obvious coaching disadvantage.

Bottom line they draft a hell of a lot better than us.