Von Miller takes pay cut

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not likely to be earned incentives are typically based on the player's previous statistical season. I listen to a LOT of Greg Tompsett. That's exactly how he defines it.

You can Google it and that's how it's defined, too.

I'm sure that player and team can come to a different agreement, but what would be the motivation for the player? The entire point is that it benefits both player and team, as this does.

Tompsett also points out that it can work in favor of the team when a player agrees to LIKELY to be earned incentives, but doesn't reach them. For example, Matt Milano signed an extension last offseason. We don't know the details of the incentives in his contract, but assuming the team put incentives in his contract that were likely to be earned incentives in his contract like tackles, sacks, interceptions, and games played... he likely didn't meet those incentives. Those likely to be earned incentives would have counted against the CAP last year and therefore we'd get that money back in the CAP this year.

Yes, NLTBE incentives are based on the players statistics, but they are not just “1 better than last year.” There’s no evidence for that.

Our own Ed Oliver has incentives for 6 and 8 sacks in a season in his new contract. Coming off last year where he had 2.5 sacks.

So I really am not sure where you are getting the idea that Von’s incentives will be “1 more tackle or sack than he had this year.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Miller's contract will be the Bills albatross for a few more years. This was not money wisely spent from the get go. Aging player ??? Beane way over paid.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Von was great in 2022 until the somewhat freak injury. And even though he was worthless in 2023 on field he was a big reason why Floyd who was the teams best edge rusher signed on a team friendly deal. The fact that Von reworked his deal is a big positive in my opinion. Hopefully a year further removed from injury he it is at least possible that he can be a contributor this upcoming season. 

It was definitely a “win now” move but at least Von is willing to be flexible on his deal.

The Bills just cut better players than Miller is right now.

He came for the money....now you think he will play harder for less?

unlikely.

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

So it turns out Rapp was inactive for both playoff games?! I guess I remember that now that I've reminded myself via PFR, but how does that align with this recent re-signing?? Someone help me make sense of that super incongruent timeline.

pretty sure he had an injury going on. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

All the contracts should be incentive based so that the team doesn't get hung paying a player like they did Marcel Darius . Once he got paid here he took his foot off the gas & just coasted he had no more motivation .

I think this is a good thing especially since Von is coming off the injury if he can't be the player he was before his ACL tear he won't get paid like he was before it happened which is good for the Bills cap .

They did that last year with Floyd he got paid when he hit double digit sacks and he got his money !! Good for Beane to get this one done .

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on, the incentive won't be on last year's production.

Probably, but it may be low enough for him to feel he can earn it.

As others have said, it counts as unlikely to be earned if it is greater than his performance last year, but it doesn't mean the team is going to give him an incentive for 4 tackles or 1 sack.  The team and Von negotiate what the incentive is based on, and if it is fewer tackles than last year it counts as likely to be earned and goes against this years salary cap.  If it is greater than last years (by 1 or by 100) it counts as unlikely to be earned and only counts against the '25 salary cap if he does in fact earn it.

Edited by Captain Caveman

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Super interesting, but I bet those "hard to reach incentives" were attainable in Von's eyes, which is why he agreed to it.

If  it is based on number of snaps yes for many on defense line will not be on roster and he will be competing against draft picks and minimum salary players.

I do not understand the lack of patience for Von Miller in regards to him coming back from a torn ACL. To play at a high level that injury needs a solid year before you can really start to see the player return to form. So much negativity towards Von and I do not get it given the situation.

The fact is, Von did the Bills a huge solid here with this renegotiated contract, which I never expected. 

now we have to sit back and see what he can bring this season. He can be our Ace in the hole this year, or we can realize he never recovered from the ACL... but we have to wait and see.... and then judgements can be made.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Miller's contract will be the Bills albatross for a few more years. This was not money wisely spent from the get go. Aging player ??? Beane way over paid.

He was coming off a tremendous playoff run with the Rams and looking like an all pro.  He won a SB and played a big part in them winning it.  Injury due to age was the only worry imo.  If he hadn’t gotten hurt, the price tag wouldn’t be bad at all considering the players ability and work ethic.  You can’t predict an acl tear.  Was it a gamble?  Definitely.  Did he way overpay?  I don’t think so.  It’s a lot easier to say that after his injury.  We needed a stud pass rusher….and most here wanted Chandler Jones to be that guy.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills just cut better players than Miller is right now.

He came for the money....now you think he will play harder for less?

unlikely.

He will play harder so he can earn the incentives…..which could allow him to earn more of that money that he came for.  Do you expect him to play with less effort?

12 hours ago, Mango said:

Am I missing something? You think Von will get a bonus for 4 tackles?

Bonuses are generally based on a total performance not necessarily related to the prior year. I would be shocked if Von triggered additional pay on his 4th tackle. That silly.

It's not silly, though.  The only way Von would agree to this is if he's essentially guaranteed that it won't cost him anything that he was already owed.  The bonus money can be kicked to 2025 as long as it involves him reaching a benchmark that he wouldn't have hit in 2023.  

It's a bonus for accounting purposes only.

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yes, NLTBE incentives are based on the players statistics, but they are not just “1 better than last year.” There’s no evidence for that.

Our own Ed Oliver has incentives for 6 and 8 sacks in a season in his new contract. Coming off last year where he had 2.5 sacks.

So I really am not sure where you are getting the idea that Von’s incentives will be “1 more tackle or sack than he had this year.”

Ed's contract was written under entirely different circumstances.  His bonuses are new money that he wasn't already owed.  Von's isn't an incentive to perform.  If it were, he wouldn't have agreed to the new terms.  It's nothing more than a way to push money from 2024 to 2025.  People are overthinking this.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

It's not silly, though.  The only way Von would agree to this is if he's essentially guaranteed that it won't cost him anything that he was already owed.  The bonus money can be kicked to 2025 as long as it involves him reaching a benchmark that he wouldn't have hit in 2023.  

It's a bonus for accounting purposes only.

Ed's contract was written under entirely different circumstances.  His bonuses are new money that he wasn't already owed.  Von's isn't an incentive to perform.  If it were, he wouldn't have agreed to the new terms.  It's nothing more than a way to push money from 2024 to 2025.  People are overthinking this.

So you saying that he’s basically guaranteed to get paid the 18Mish he was originally slated for even if he only plays a handful of games?

Millers Incentives

He gets $1 million for two sacks. At four sacks, it increases to $2.5 million. With six sacks, it becomes $4 million. At eight sacks, $6 million.

He gets $8.645 million for 10.5 sacks. He gets $9.645 million for 15 sacks.

There’s another $1.5 million available for 12 or more sacks, along with taking 30 percent of more of the defensive snaps in the AFC Championship — and if the Bills win.

Basically, Miller makes his money back if he gets 10.5 sacks. With 15 sacks, he makes $18.5 million for 2024. He maxes out at $20 million for 12 sacks and participation in 30 percent of more of the defensive snaps in an AFC Championship win.

Because these incentives are regarded as “not likely to be earned,” the cap charge for reaching them would apply to 2025, not 2024. So the Bills have reduced Miller’s cap number and, if he doesn’t perform, his total compensation.

Miller hasn’t had 10 or more sacks since 2018. He had double-digit sacks in seven of his first eight NFL seasons.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So you saying that he’s basically guaranteed to get paid the 18Mish he was originally slated for even if he only plays a handful of games?

I haven't seen how it's written, but the idea that he would isn't silly.  It would benefit the Bills without negatively impacting Miller.

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He will play harder so he can earn the incentives…..which could allow him to earn more of that money that he came for.  Do you expect him to play with less effort?

It would be hard to imagine less effort. 

The guy has 180 million, 2 rings. A couple million more for some sacks I really don't think it does it for this guy at this point (he would need a ridiculous 15 sacks to get back to his original 2024 compensation). 

He's old and he came off a bad injury that old players don't just blast out of the gate from. 

I had a thought today — total conjecture — about Von's new deal:

Could it be that Beane knows that Von's off-field situation could potentially still be pursued and lead to bad optics for Von's future GM aspirations, and Beane said, give us relief and we will not pursue that...

Any chance what was some of the carrot for Von to give up 8 or 9 million?

Not saying it was, just speculating why Von would do this... 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He was coming off a tremendous playoff run with the Rams and looking like an all pro.  He won a SB and played a big part in them winning it.  Injury due to age was the only worry imo.  If he hadn’t gotten hurt, the price tag wouldn’t be bad at all considering the players ability and work ethic.  You can’t predict an acl tear.  Was it a gamble?  Definitely.  Did he way overpay?  I don’t think so.  It’s a lot easier to say that after his injury.  We needed a stud pass rusher….and most here wanted Chandler Jones to be that guy.  

Overpay? Definitely. A.ge is not his friend