Mike Shula no longer with the Bills

31 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Do you have one by choice? Or a byproduct of the environment?

Those will never fit…

could be both?

i have no pets. no time. they are too expnsive

26 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

That was Dave Shula. Mike Shula is the guy who bombed at Alabama before Saban. 

Thanks for that tidbit.  I remember Mike too. The younger Shulas did not quite follow well in their Dad's footsteps.  Maybe they should have worked at his steak houses in S. Florida instead..

5 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Huh, interesting. Wonder what one does to get fired from this rather low level position?

He wasn't fired

Having a contract expired and not renewed is different than getting canned

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He wasn't fired

Having a contract expired and not renewed is different than getting canned

One can say that it’s a small difference,  I was asked in a job interview why I left my last job, I said my contract with the US government expired, I had just gotten out of the Marines, 😂

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I need an emotional support animal that will fit inside my apartment. Any ideas?

You can have my goldfish. His name is Calvin. He once had a friend named Hobbes. He's also been dead since 1998. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I forgot he was even on the staff.

His cousin Dave Shula (not his coach brother Dave)  was a good friend and housemate for a couple years in Park City UT in the mid 80s.

Great guy I've lost track of over the years....

Edited by Turk71

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

"Contract expired"

So you’re the second person who seems to think there’s a difference between “contract expired” and “you’re fired”…..there isn’t. For all intents and purposes, it’s the same exact thing.

If they thought he was valuable to the organization, he would have been given a new contract. Instead, they told him to clean out his office, get out, and don’t come back. But he wasn’t fired. OK. LOL

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Disagree 1

On 3/7/2024 at 6:46 AM, Bob Jones said:

So you’re the second person who seems to think there’s a difference between “contract expired” and “you’re fired”…..there isn’t. For all intents and purposes, it’s the same exact thing.

If they thought he was valuable to the organization, he would have been given a new contract. Instead, they told him to clean out his office, get out, and don’t come back. But he wasn’t fired. OK. LOL

I see more than 2 in this thread, but who's counting

You were speculating "wonder what one does to get fired from this rather low level position?"

By asking this question, you yourself indicate that there is a difference, and you know it.  

Typically people who are fired have done something wrong. 

On the other hand, people who are not re-up'd at the end of a contract haven't necessarily done a thing wrong and may have done a decent job with everything that was asked of them - but either the organization wants new blood, or the org has  decided they no longer need that position.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Typically people who are fired have done something wrong. 

On the other hand, people who are not re-up'd at the end of a contract haven't necessarily done a thing wrong and may have done a decent job with everything that was asked of them - but either the organization wants new blood, or the org has  decided they no longer need that position.

Agreed.  I always thought Russ Brandon was fired, so too those senior Sabres executives a few years ago that were carousing on the town.  Seems more like Shula's contract expired.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:06 PM, Don Otreply said:

One can say that it’s a small difference,  I was asked in a job interview why I left my last job, I said my contract with the US government expired, I had just gotten out of the Marines, 😂

But could you have reupped?  

An HR director a few years ago asked if I might be back, when I was leaving for a new civil construction project.  "I think I have had enough of you, and I am sure you have had enough of me" was my answer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:02 AM, Bob Jones said:

Huh, interesting. Wonder what one does to get fired from this rather low level position?

He was not fired his contract expired.  Likely current OC did not lean on him that much and may want to choose his own.

On 3/6/2024 at 11:10 AM, Prospector said:

I would use one of our 6th round picks to draft a new offensive assistant. It's a pretty deep draft this year, so perfect timing.

You are joking but best offense assistant was a QB Davis Webb who was offered a coaching job but choose to go to Giants for one more try at QB and finally got to start  game before he became a coach.  Would have no problem with Bills using a late pick on a QB who was more brain than body to be backup QB who spent most of of time working with offense staff but financially effective to hire assistant directly with no cap impact.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

But could you have reupped?  

An HR director a few years ago asked if I might be back, when I was leaving for a new civil construction project.  "I think I have had enough of you, and I am sure you have had enough of me" was my answer.

I could have re-upped, it was quite the experience being in the Marines, but it was time for me to look to other life options for the long term. 

• Like (+1) 1