Awful Mock Drafts

I figured we could put all the pundit mock drafts that we hate here to express our collective outrage :)

I'll start.  This one from Lance Zierlein just dropped.  It may be the worst I've seen so far.  Trading up for...well...wait till you see it.  I saw a trade up, got excited, then, vomit.  Additional vomiting caused by who the Bengals and Chiefs added compared to who we added.  There are so many other players available for the Bills who will be more impactful at CB/S, DT, and even WR that were passed up here.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2024-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-broncos-move-up-for-j-j-mccarthy-chiefs-add-xavier-worthy

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 6
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

well, most of us want a WR but I wouldn't hate getting a guy with 23.3 sacks in the last 2 years and a player some call the most polished edge rusher in the draft.

Now, if we did that, I would expect a trade up, again, for a guy like Legette or someone comparable... We'd lose a lot of draft capital in 2 trade-ups... but is getting the best pass rusher and an explosive receiver worth it? I've seen worse drafts.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Edge is a huge area of need.  The Bills lost Floyd and Epenesa this offseason and we have no idea what we’ll get out of Miller.  Rousseau is the only proven (and not over the hill) pass rusher on the roster.

Safety and WR are deep and good guys will be available in the 3rd.   

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Some of these mocks are what the mocker wants to see, not what he/she thinks will happen. In this case, he wants to see Worthy with Mahomes just for the entertainment value. He also wants Harrison to play with Hebert in LA, so he makes that happen too. They push fun players to Burrow all the time for the same reason, but everyone here in Cincinnati knows that they will draft OL or DT to replace DJ Reeder. But these types of Mocks have less value than toilet paper, because at least toilet paper serves a purpose.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Some of these mocks are what the mocker wants to see, not what he/she thinks will happen. In this case, he wants to see Worthy with Mahomes just for the entertainment value. He also wants Harrison to play with Hebert in LA, so he makes that happen too. They push fun players to Burrow all the time for the same reason, but everyone here in Cincinnati knows that they will draft OL or DT to replace DJ Reeder. But these types of Mocks have less value than toilet paper, because at least toilet paper serves a purpose.

Entertainment is a purpose.   I apologize if this suddenly makes you aware of how pointless your following of a pro sports team is in the grand scheme of things but the NFL is only truly purposeful (by your definition) to those who are profiting from it professionally.  ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

well, most of us want a WR but I wouldn't hate getting a guy with 23.3 sacks in the last 2 years and a player some call the most polished edge rusher in the draft.

Now, if we did that, I would expect a trade up, again, for a guy like Legette or someone comparable... We'd lose a lot of draft capital in 2 trade-ups... but is getting the best pass rusher and an explosive receiver worth it? I've seen worse drafts.

I totally get the desire for an Edge who can get 10+ sacks a year.  I'm not sure this is the guy to trade up for, however.  He is listed by NFL.com as a "boom or bust" prospect.  Trading up for him seems like the type of desperation that got us players like Basham.  Groot also had a ton of college sacks, but has been more of a containment DE at the pro level.  Would I hate the pick, no, but what makes this "awful" is the trade up in a deep draft.  I'd rather get a DE like D. Robinson, Trice, or Kneeland later in the 2nd or 3rd round and get an impact WR round 1.  

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

All mocks are trash unless they say exactly what I specifically want them to say.

that's not the point of this.  But, okay.  People can post mocks they hate here and discuss them.  Some disagree with my dislike, that's okay.  

• Like (+1) 2

I've seen every one of Latu's games. He's good but not spectacular. He's built more like a 3-4 OLB.  I still want WR @ 28 or a small trade up for Thomas. I could also live with Chop at 28. But I'm not giving up an extra 3rd for Latu.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I figured we could put all the pundit mock drafts that we hate here to express our collective outrage :)

I'll start.  This one from Lance Zierlein just dropped.  It may be the worst I've seen so far.  Trading up for...well...wait till you see it.  I saw a trade up, got excited, then, vomit.  Additional vomiting caused by who the Bengals and Chiefs added compared to who we added.  There are so many other players available for the Bills who will be more impactful at CB/S, DT, and even WR that were passed up here.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2024-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-broncos-move-up-for-j-j-mccarthy-chiefs-add-xavier-worthy

His first go around had us taking Brian Thomas at WR.  He must think that after the combine, players have gone up the board and others have dropped.  He must be thinking the value is there for Latu.  Zierlein is now dead to me.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

This is what I think beane does. DE, WR

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Why would anyone care about a mock draft - especially one done before free agency even begins?

5 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Here's the thing for me: 

Obviously, I want a WR who could take over for Diggs in a year or two and this seems to be the draft to do it.

But maybe Beane is looking at his board and says "Thomas Jr. is the last WR1, the rest are all complementary pieces. If he's gone before I can even get close and an edge rusher is there for the taking I can get a complementary piece almost anywhere in 2nd or using my bevy of picks to get into the top of round 3"

I couldn't be mad at that.

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Why would anyone care about a mock draft - especially one done before free agency even begins?

Ya got me, being they are 99% WAGs, on a good day, cutting the lawn and having a martini and a smoke afterwards is more certainly more gratifying, 😁👍🍸🚬

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Here's the thing for me: 

Obviously, I want a WR who could take over for Diggs in a year or two and this seems to be the draft to do it.

But maybe Beane is looking at his board and says "Thomas Jr. is the last WR1, the rest are all complementary pieces. If he's gone before I can even get close and an edge rusher is there for the taking I can get a complementary piece almost anywhere in 2nd or using my bevy of picks to get into the top of round 3"

I couldn't be mad at that.

I hear you. But I think many smart people think Mitchell will be a number 1 guy and he should be available close to where we pick.

We'll see soon enough. If we got this DE, I wouldn't hate it — if we get a speed merchant later who's a bona fide number 2.

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

It's pure stupidty

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I totally get the desire for an Edge who can get 10+ sacks a year.  I'm not sure this is the guy to trade up for, however.  He is listed by NFL.com as a "boom or bust" prospect.  Trading up for him seems like the type of desperation that got us players like Basham.  Groot also had a ton of college sacks, but has been more of a containment DE at the pro level.  Would I hate the pick, no, but what makes this "awful" is the trade up in a deep draft.  I'd rather get a DE like D. Robinson, Trice, or Kneeland later in the 2nd or 3rd round and get an impact WR round 1.  

that's not the point of this.  But, okay.  People can post mocks they hate here and discuss them.  Some disagree with my dislike, that's okay.  

Latu is really good. I'd be happy with him. I don't love trading up for him, but if he ended up on the Bills I would not hate it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1