Awful Mock Drafts

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

I hear you. But I think many smart people think Mitchell will be a number 1 guy and he should be available close to where we pick.

We'll see soon enough. If we got this DE, I wouldn't hate it — if we get a speed merchant later who's a bona fide number 2.

I'm not saying they are wrong. I would be happy if Beane takes him at 28 (or moves up into the 20s somehow)

In the same token, if 28 rolls around and Mitchell and Franklin and McConkey and Worthy and Devontez Walker and Legette and Coleman are all there, and there is a very clear answer to "who replaces Von Miller?" or "who anchors our secondary for the next five years?" I can see waiting until round 2.

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

That might be the worst top 10 of any mock draft I've ever seen.

I agree it is funky but the Nabers to the Cardinals rumour is definitely out there. That one does not feel crazy to me. JC Latham at #6 would be shocking. Him being Lance's #1 OT makes me worry for his sanity. I have a low 2nd round grade.

• Agree 1

I'm not hell bent on them taking a particular guy or position in the first, but trading up for another crack at drafting a good de is just a terrible idea imo. How much draft and cap capital has he spent the last 4 seasons on this one position with what results?

From the very start I said to build a great offensive line and give Allen elite weapons. Outscoring everyone should be the goal, not trying to stop a particular individual or team. Also, no matter how good the defense is they aren't used properly in critical moments anyway. It doesn't matter how many great players you have when you line up 8 yards back on 3rd and 3. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I want to like that trade and pick because that college production is impressive and he plays fast in the games and late in the games. 

However, I'm ultimately not drafting that neck or its injury history in the first round.  The more I read about that injury, two words are in my head - "borrowed time".

At best, you get the Vander Esch career with the neck stingers and injuries.  Worst case, it's one terrible hit and he has to retire.  

The truth of all mock drafts right now is that no one, not even Beane, has any idea what the Bills’ needs are until after free agency begins.  Take safety for example.  If Beane signs a FA starter and another player like Rapp to a cheap contract, safety may go from a top 100 priority to a 6th rd depth pick up.  

The edge choice, which started this thread, will depend on what Beane does in free agency as well.  We have Rousseau, Miller and Jonathan (who they like), and if he can sign an edge player to split time with Miller, maybe edge becomes less of a priority early in the draft.  

All this is moot anyway until Beane finds some $65+ million in cap space to even enable him to sign any free agents.  

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm not saying they are wrong. I would be happy if Beane takes him at 28 (or moves up into the 20s somehow)

In the same token, if 28 rolls around and Mitchell and Franklin and McConkey and Worthy and Devontez Walker and Legette and Coleman are all there, and there is a very clear answer to "who replaces Von Miller?" or "who anchors our secondary for the next five years?" I can see waiting until round 2.

I'd take the DE or WR who has a better chance of being blue-chip. We have very few of those players and need more. But if Beane decides the DE has a brighter future and can be elite, not just 8-10 sacks, but elite, take him. But make damn sure you get a good receiver soon after.

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

I'd take the DE or WR who has a better chance of being blue-chip. We have very few of those players and need more. But if Beane decides the DE has a brighter future and can be elite, not just 8-10 sacks, but elite, take him. But make damn sure you get a good receiver soon after.

agree that WR is biggest need. We can get by for a year with Von and Groot and some journeymen. I don't think you can say the same for WR2

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I want to like that trade and pick because that college production is impressive and he plays fast in the games and late in the games. 

However, I'm ultimately not drafting that neck or its injury history in the first round.  The more I read about that injury, two words are in my head - "borrowed time".

At best, you get the Vander Esch career with the neck stingers and injuries.  Worst case, it's one terrible hit and he has to retire.  

Also fair to reflect on this regime's approach to injury risk. They have conservative as a rule when it comes to drafting players with injury red flags. I suspect that they'd swerve Latu (and certainly wouldn't trade up for him) for that reason but I am assured if the Bills take him that the neck is cleared by the medics. Because they have been very low risk on this stuff previously.

My main reasoning of not wanting to go edge rusher in the first round is because I didn’t think there would be anybody of first round value, making it to us and I’m not so deep draft

If someone did, we could totally take an edge rusher in the first and then trade up in the second to get one of the second tier guys wide receiver, wide receiver, is so deep this year

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

All mocks opinions are trash unless they say exactly what I specifically want them to say.

yeah we can take that one a little further. Just keep searching the intranets till you find a pundit saying what you wanted to hear.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:00 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate it; I want WR. Enough trying to build to “stop” Mahomes. It’s the definition of insanity at this point. Try to outscore and outgun everyone. Give me 2 WRs by pick 129. 

You have to have pass rush in the NFL - not just to deal with Mahomes. While I do not like the trade up scenario, a producing EDGE is more of a sure bet than a late rd 1 WR.  Remember for years, during the drought era,  the Bills seemed to neglect both lines. They need not do that again.

With all of that said, at pick 28 I would be shocked if the Bills do not take either a d-line or WR. Both are huge areas of need and you line that up with BPA.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:23 PM, BuffaloBill said:

You have to have pass rush in the NFL - not just to deal with Mahomes. While I do not like the trade up scenario, a producing EDGE is more of a sure bet than a late rd 1 WR.  Remember for years, during the drought era,  the Bills seemed to neglect both lines. They need not do that again.

With all of that said, at pick 28 I would be shocked if the Bills do not take either a d-line or WR. Both are huge areas of need and you line that up with BPA.

We have TRIED to invest in the pass rush to stop Mahomes. A 2nd on Epenesa, 2nd on Basham, 1st on Rousseau, 1st on Oliver, sizable contracts for Floyd, Ford, Settle and Phillips. We gave Von a MASSIVE contract. When can we agree that loading up there has NOT worked to pass KC? That’s 4 straight years that they have advanced further. 

I agree that the pass rush is important. NOTHING is more important than giving Josh Allen weapons. If this team is going to win a title it will be BECAUSE of Josh Allen. Give him everything that he needs to try to outgun teams. The fact that the Bills have resisted for this long is maddening. If you have an elite fastball, don’t spend so much time working on your curve. Make you elite fastball faster. Play to YOUR strength and stop reacting to your opponents!! Make them keep up with you and stop trying to keep them close. It hasn’t worked.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We have TRIED to invest in the pass rush to stop Mahomes. A 2nd on Epenesa, 2nd on Basham, 1st on Rousseau, 1st on Oliver, sizable contracts for Floyd, Ford, Settle and Phillips. We have Von a MASSIVE contract. When can we agree that loading up there has NOT worked to ass KC? That’s 4 straight years that they have advanced further. 

I agree that the pass rush is important. NOTHING is more important than giving Josh Allen weapons. If this team is going to win a title it will be BECAUSE of Josh Allen. Give him everything that he needs to try to outgun teams. The fact that the Bills have resisted for this long is maddening. If you have an elite fastball, don’t spend so much time working on your curve. Make you elite fastball faster. Play to YOUR strength and stop reacting to your opponents!! Make them keep up with you and stop trying to keep them close. It hasn’t worked.

To counter your point about “nothing,” look no further than the Chiefs. They did not “outgun” teams in the playoffs.  They had strong defense and an ability to move the ball.  The Bills D was decimated due to injury.  You can’t let it slide into the toilet because of neglect.  I have no disagreement that the Bills need to upgrade their WR ranks. However, the team is not devoid of weapons for Josh given Cook’s ascendence, the o-line coming around nicely, an awesome young TE and Shakir developing into a good role or situational player.

The Bills needed arguably five or fewer plays to hit in order to beat the chiefs this past year. This was on both sides of the ball.  You can’t make that dynamic worse by developing a mentality that says the only thing that matters is Josh Allen.

I would be fine with Latu at #28 because everyone agrees he is more like a top 15 player in this draft. I'm not so WR hungry that I'm going to pass up on a player at a premium position of need if that kind of value is there. But absolutely no to trading up for him. I want us using all of our picks and filling the bottom of the roster with rookie contracts. I don't see any player in this draft worth trading up for.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Ya got me, being they are 99% WAGs, on a good day, cutting the lawn and having a martini and a smoke afterwards is more certainly more gratifying, 😁👍🍸🚬

Is that you, Dean Martin?

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

Is that you, Dean Martin?

Don Martin…, 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

To counter your point about “nothing,” look no further than the Chiefs. They did not “outgun” teams in the playoffs.  They had strong defense and an ability to move the ball.  The Bills D was decimated due to injury.  You can’t let it slide into the toilet because of neglect.  I have no disagreement that the Bills need to upgrade their WR ranks. However, the team is not devoid of weapons for Josh given Cook’s ascendence, the o-line coming around nicely, an awesome young TE and Shakir developing into a good role or situational player.

The Bills needed arguably five or fewer plays to hit in order to beat the chiefs this past year. This was on both sides of the ball.  You can’t make that dynamic worse by developing a mentality that says the only thing that matters is Josh Allen.

The Chiefs? They scored when they needed to again. Forget about “stopping them.” Try to outgun them. The moves from today showed CLEARLY that’s the direction that the Bills are moving in. We will see if it works I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️