Any potential late round QBs that anyone may want to take a flyer on?

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think I could handle another QB controversy after Jake Fromm.

Back in 2020 Dan Shaughnessy wrote in the Boston Globe that Jake Fromm would replace Josh Allen.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

9 hours ago, BBFL said:

The consensus is Joe Milton. Think I agree with that. 

No never.  He was lousy at Mich and lousy at Tenn.  He’ll never be a good pro.  Huge arm. Great athlete, but a terrible QB.  

No to Rattler also. 

I know most people here don’t watch a ton of college football, but as I live in GA (and go to most UGA home games), I’ve seen Milton and Rattler play many times.  They aren’t good and certainly aren’t even NFL backup material 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Tavis or Milton.  

I think we end up taking one.  A cheap backup is nice to have, really, a rookie and other Allen are likely not much difference in terms of likely backup potential.  If JA gets hurt and the season is going well, we likely trade for a vet while waiting for JA to return.  

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

No never.  He was lousy at Mich and lousy at Tenn.  He’ll never be a good pro.  Huge arm. Great athlete, but a terrible QB.  

No to Rattler also. 

I know most people here don’t watch a ton of college football, but as I live in GA (and go to most UGA home games), I’ve seen Milton and Rattler play many times.  They aren’t good and certainly aren’t even NFL backup material 

But Rattler was Senior Bowl MVP and kinda looks like Mahomes! All jokes aside, consistency is what plagued him. How does a guy throw 6 TDs against the number 5 team in the nation and then look underwhelming against lesser teams? Truth is we never know how any of these guys will pan out at the next level. There are plenty of players where we say “never saw that coming based on his tape” and that could be a positive or negative. One thing’s for sure, we’ve gotta draft one. If he’s good enough to beat out a veteran backup, cool. If not, take a swing next year. Keep taking those swings and eventually we’ll find our Gardner Minshew, or if we’re really lucky, a Brock Purdy. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Joe Milton and Carter Bradley.

Those have been the 2 that I keep ending up with in mocks. Milton to me is a fine lottery ticket. The skills are there but the tape erratic. 

23 minutes ago, sleeby said:

We need other things more.  If JA is out for a length of time I don't see a late round rookie saving the season.  Fill other needs this year.

This line of thinking I can’t get behind. If any starting QB is out for an extended period of time your season is at risk. We need to stop looking at it as “if Josh goes out we are done.” Of course we are. If Josh misses a month, the difference between 2-2 and 1-3 could be the difference in home field or missing the playoffs completely. Look at the last week this year. You’re trying to find a guy that can keep you afloat for a month.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, sleeby said:

We need other things more.  If JA is out for a length of time I don't see a late round rookie saving the season.  Fill other needs this year.

Totally not the point. 

You do understand, it's actually kind of important to have more than 1 QB on a roster, right? You need a backup and most likely one on the PS as well. 

So, would you rather pay a Kyle Allen/Mitch Trubisky $4M-5M to not save the season or a late round rookie substantially less to do the same, knowing the cost difference can go to filling other needs?

Having needs in other places is preciously WHY you draft that rookie in round 5ish instead of signing the vet.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Brand J said:

But Rattler was Senior Bowl MVP and kinda looks like Mahomes! All jokes aside, consistency is what plagued him. How does a guy throw 6 TDs against the number 5 team in the nation and then look underwhelming against lesser teams? Truth is we never know how any of these guys will pan out at the next level. There are plenty of players where we say “never saw that coming based on his tape” and that could be a positive or negative. One thing’s for sure, we’ve gotta draft one. If he’s good enough to beat out a veteran backup, cool. If not, take a swing next year. Keep taking those swings and eventually we’ll find our Gardner Minshew, or if we’re really lucky, a Brock Purdy. 

I think the Rattler hype has a lot to do with him being the #1 College Recruit in the country 4 years ago.   Nothing about the guy is elite in terms of NFL intangibles.   Undersized, slow, and below average college output.   People are talking about this guy in the 3rd round and the only thing I can attribute it to is having very good agents and representation.