NFL Player Team Reports Cards -- Bills players give Sean McDermott an "A", Pegula an "A-"

Logic

22 hours ago, elroy16 said:

These are from players ranking the different categories, solid overall. I'm surprised by the food/nutritionist part. Every "First 24 hours" or other video like to talk about the cafeteria and all the options they have.

Time for Pegula to write a check.

I seem to recall some comments from the last report card that the team's nutritionist or dietician was shared with the Buffalo Sabres so the players felt they didn't have enough time to craft individual programs for them.  

I'm surprised by the "team travel" thing though, because I remember McDermott saying that the Pegulas had ensured they were comfortable when they traveled, and he appreciated that.  

Hopefully someone will look into the basis for these ratings and fix them.

22 hours ago, Logic said:

Also of interest to me: The Chiefs players giving their team owner an F-.

F- !!!

Did the Hunt family personally slap the players' wives? Like...F- is BAD, man.

Right, and this is the team where players have played in 4 Superbowls the last 5 years and won 3 of them.

Boggles the mind - like, the other 31 owners want to be that guy

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I seem to recall some comments from the last report card that the team's nutritionist or dietician was shared with the Buffalo Sabres so the players felt they didn't have enough time to craft individual programs for them.  

I'm surprised by the "team travel" thing though, because I remember McDermott saying that the Pegulas had ensured they were comfortable when they traveled, and he appreciated that.  

Right, and this is the team where players have played in 4 Superbowls the last 5 years and won 3 of them.

Per Alaina Getzenberg, one of the complaints from the survey is that staff gets priority in airplane seating, leaving the biggest dudes (players) in coach-size seats.  (Which seems like a very legit beef to me.)  So I guess McDermott is indeed very comfortable, with his 5'9" self relaxing luxuriously in first class. 😆

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It was a protest vote in KC. They were promised locker room upgrades that never happened. 

23 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So 11 coaches ranked higher then McD???  McD was in the second wave (3 got A+, 9 A and 7 more A-).

And Pegula's A- is 8th.

Not quite sure of your math. 

How do you reason 11 coaches higher than McD. 

I see 3 coaches graded higher than McD. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup, between blizzards and worthless trips to London, I'm sure they're fed up.

yeah. spending xmas in chicago last year probably still kicking around the back of their brains too.  even if that stuff isnt the intention of the survey, those feelings are kicking around whether its conscious or not.... snowy buffalo will likely never rank high on this one, but if improvements can be made they should

On 2/28/2024 at 10:31 AM, elroy16 said:

These are from players ranking the different categories, solid overall. I'm surprised by the food/nutritionist part. Every "First 24 hours" or other video like to talk about the cafeteria and all the options they have.

Time for Pegula to write a check.

the problem is the players want royal subs, pizza and wings every day and the nutritionist won't let have it in the cafeteria. 

2 hours ago, Cash said:

Per Alaina Getzenberg, one of the complaints from the survey is that staff gets priority in airplane seating, leaving the biggest dudes (players) in coach-size seats.  (Which seems like a very legit beef to me.)  So I guess McDermott is indeed very comfortable, with his 5'9" self relaxing luxuriously in first class. 😆

I thought teams chartered jets with all first class seats so this shouldn't be an issue. i guess I misheard. 

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

It was a protest vote in KC. They were promised locker room upgrades that never happened. 

The funny thing is, Andy Reid was given an A+ and it was likely things Andy Reid insists on that caused everyone else to get poor or failing grades. Andy is one of the very few coaches who still values going out of town for training camp. The Chiefs have what is widely considered the hardest training camp in the NFL and both players and coaches sleep in dorm rooms. When the Chiefs travel, Andy likes having young players and especially rookies share rooms as he thinks it helps build bonds/friendship. Andy's longtime head trainer regularly wins awards as being among the very best trainers, yet the training room gets failing grades in part because Andy doesn't want it to become a country club hangout. The same is likely true for KC's practice locker room, where Andy probably prefers they keep their focus on things that matter rather than playing mindless video games or blasting music in their own personal sound station when you're there to work. 

Obviously I don't have a good explanation for the poor nutritional score, but that's not exactly an area of focus for Andy either 😃

2 hours ago, Cash said:

That is kind of bonkers. Very bonkers. 

If I were the org I would likely switch to United just because they have much larger premier seating sections than Delta. United has planes with 60 Polaris seats (like full on lay down) That is enough for the 53 plus, HC, OC, DC, Beane, and Terry. Then business class has enough for everybody on the PS to have 2 seats (36 total seats). Plus enough coach seats for everybody else to get their own row. 

You don't need it every game. But anything in CA, WA, AZ, or over seas seems like a super worthy investment at the very least. I honestly have no idea how much more it would cost for them compared to their current cost, but I would imagine it is fairly affordable for a guy in oil and gas with two professional sports franchises. O/G aside, both franchises are estimated to be worth a combined $5B. 

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/company/aircraft/boeing-777-300er.html

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/28/2024 at 8:28 AM, Logic said:

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards-2024

image.thumb.png.c2ad1553daf0f4c994a1b30376f44803.png

image.thumb.png.81f23ad6c365af87cebc6ea1dff142d5.png

Looks like the Bills dietician/nutritionist is not well thought of, nor is the team travel program.

Everywhere else, the Bills score pretty well across the board, with Head Coach and Team Owner being particularly interesting.

Also of interest: The Chiefs players give their training room a D and their training staff an F. Interesting...

The Travel rating is low likely due to rookies having to share rooms at least that’s what others have said on here. If I were the Bills nutrition would be a big area where I would look to make changes 

23 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So 11 coaches ranked higher then McD???  McD was in the second wave (3 got A+, 9 A and 7 more A-).

And Pegula's A- is 8th.

This is an interesting poll to be sure. I wish that they'd run one by fans and/or media. I'm not sure that his ranking necessarily says much beyond average. For a team that’s won their division four years running and made the playoffs in the last five, the lowest A grade and 12th in rank order seems a bit low and disconnected from that.

No doubt the rankings are compiled based upon the raw scores. I took the liberty of putting all of the votes into a spreadsheet and made some observations.

To start, and fueling @Mr. WEO's comment about Ivy League grade inflation, that was very much the case in the ratings for the coaches, which makes sense given the human nature of the business coupled with emotions in essence, and players simply liking coaches but not being able to critique them without such a bias in terms of achievement. i.e., simply because the players like a coach, like Allen seemingly willing to all but die for Dorsey as one mere example, when frankly Dorsey wasn't all that great. He'd have gotten an A grade from the players as well.

But of the 32 grades, in coaching, 19 of the grades were in the A range. Only three were below a B range.

Contrasted with the other 6 categories, Strength Coaches were next with 14 in the A range.

Owners after that with 10 in the A range.

Weight Room had 9 in the A range.

Locker Room had 6 in the A range.

Dietician/Nutrition had 5 in the A range.

Training Staff had 5 in the A range.

Food/Cafeteria had 4 in the A range.

Treatment of Families had 4 in the A range.

Training Room had 3 in the A range.

Team Travel had 2 in the A range.

Head coaches had only 3 with below B range. 

Strength Coaches had 7 below a B range.  

Training Staff had 7 below a B range.

Owner had 11 below a B range.

More critical were the following:

Treatment of Families had 23 below a B range.

Team Travel had 20 below a B range.

Locker Room & Food/Cafeteria had 16 (half) below B range.

Training Room had 15 below B range.

Nutritionist/Dietician & Weight Room both had 10 below B range.

So it seems that the closer it got to personal relationships, the less critical the players were. Put another way, the further away things got from someone having a direct relationship to playing time or performance, the more critical it was, generally speaking league wide.

It’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that given that, that McD ranked well. Clearly he didn’t rank poorly and clearly one would think that winning cures many things, but having said that, only three teams ranked lower finished with double-digit wins; Baltimore (Harbaugh), Cleveland (Stefanski), and Houston (the rookie Ryans).

Of the top-9 coach rankings, 8 of those teams made the playoffs and posted double-digit wins. The odd team out was Minnesota (O’Connell) in his second season with 7 wins.

Between McD and that group were Cincy (Taylor) who was without Burrow, and Seattle (Carroll) who has made the playoffs only once the past three seasons having lost their wild-card round game last season, despite both having won only 9 games this past season and both having missed the playoffs.

That info of course should make one wonder the extent to which players truly believed that their responses were entirely confidential, or whether it would come out via player discovery that they hadn’t ranked a coach, strength coaches, or training staff, that they have to work with directly highly.

It’s pretty unbelievable that 29 of 32 coaches earned A & B grades. There are more coaches of those 29 on that list that few of us would give an A or B grade to, and 60% of the coaches in the league getting an A+/A/A- grade?  No objective person would come to that conclusion.  

Again, it would be interesting if they polled the fans over this. Based on the polls already posted here re: McD, it seems that the results would be significantly different.

It’s also reasonable to assume, that being a people business, it’s difficult for players & coaches to be too critical of one another when they work in such close proximity, both physically as well as mentally, to one another, for obvious reasons. That’s simply common sense.

With relationships, as with any work environment, the objectivity is at least somewhat removed as a result of work relationships. But this is a business, and because it’s a business, there’s nothing wrong with treating it like a business in all phases, whether relationships factor in or not.

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Not quite sure of your math. 

How do you reason 11 coaches higher than McD. 

I see 3 coaches graded higher than McD. 

Yes I read somewhere he ranked 12th and corrected it that hebwas in a cluster with 9 coaches.  19 got A- to A+ grades, so seems nost coaches are liked. Belichek and some others being the exception. 

Regardless I read little into it.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Cash said:

The thing is, if their charter is a standard configuration of 737, there are something like 16 first class seats.  

So I can see where, if you allocated them to players, that could quickly become an issue too.   "OK, Josh Allen gets a seat, the starting OL and DL get 10 seats, but now what?  Rotational DLmen?  The long snapper?  The starting TE - who is that, Kincaid or Knox or both?  The starting LB - wait a minute, is Bernard bigger than the nickel corner?  Oh, what about the biggest stars, they should get one, move over and let Diggs have that seat.

I could see where it could quickly become a divisive issue giving the players the players the 1st class seats

10 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I thought teams chartered jets with all first class seats so this shouldn't be an issue. i guess I misheard. 

That’s what I thought, too! I was very surprised. I suppose it’s possible someone just lied to make the Bills look bad, but if so it would be pretty easy for the Bills to prove it was false: just do a One Bills Live special on the team plane. I think it’s true - why else would we be dead last?

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The thing is, if their charter is a standard configuration of 737, there are something like 16 first class seats.  

So I can see where, if you allocated them to players, that could quickly become an issue too.   "OK, Josh Allen gets a seat, the starting OL and DL get 10 seats, but now what?  Rotational DLmen?  The long snapper?  The starting TE - who is that, Kincaid or Knox or both?  The starting LB - wait a minute, is Bernard bigger than the nickel corner?  Oh, what about the biggest stars, they should get one, move over and let Diggs have that seat.

I could see where it could quickly become a divisive issue giving the players the players the 1st class seats

Right, which is why I assumed that all NFL teams owned their own planes, and had the interiors configured to have many giant seats. Like, 60 or more. I guess not though? But bottom line is that we rank 32nd out of 32. I’m not cool with that. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:35 AM, Logic said:

Also of interest to me: The Chiefs players giving their team owner an F-.

F- !!!

Did the Hunt family personally slap the players' wives? Like...F- is BAD, man.

I just read an article that they were supposedly promised new locker rooms after last years SB and all they got was new chairs.  The excuse was they didnt have time to do anything because they played in the SB.

The report card for the Bills came out much better than I expected and if Terry wants to jump into the top 5 all he needs to do is copy what the top teams are doing for travel. The nutrition part I have no solution because you live in Buffalo.

12 hours ago, Cash said:

Right, which is why I assumed that all NFL teams owned their own planes, and had the interiors configured to have many giant seats. Like, 60 or more. I guess not though? But bottom line is that we rank 32nd out of 32. I’m not cool with that. 

I thought the Bills just get charters from Delta, using whatever was available.  Not a specifically modified plane.  

Interesting NFLPA did not have a question on the field or the stadium the players play in especially with NFL partners complaining about them without offering to contribute to it.  They are like the divorced spouse shacking up with new partner while continuing to collect alimony.