Update: Free Agent RB's Hitting the Market

ngbills

No tags expected on some of the big names - Jacobs, Barkley, Henry, Pollard, Ekeler and more. This RB free agent pool is gonna be stacked. Guessing we can upgrade from Harris/Murray/Johnson and it wont cost much at all. Here is who we are looking at:

Barkley

Jacobs

Ekeler

Henry

Pollard

Swift

Dillon

Singletary

Moss

Dobbins

Edwards

Elliott

Edwards-Helaire

Gibson

McKinnon

Murray

Harris

Akers

Kelley

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

On 2/26/2024 at 3:32 PM, ngbills said:

No tags expected on some of the big names - Jacobs, Barkley, Henry, Pollard, Ekeler and more. This RB free agent pool is gonna be stacked. Guessing we can upgrade from Harris/Murray/Johnson and it wont cost much at all. Here is who we are looking at:

Barkley

Jacobs

Ekeler

Henry

Pollard

Swift

Dillon

Singletary

Moss

Dobbins

Edwards

Elliott

Edwards-Helaire

Gibson

McKinnon

Murray

Harris

Akers

Kelley

Or.....

We have Cook. We get Johnson back cheaper. We Draft a guy late on Day 3.

Done.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

And the Bills will be linked to every single one. 

IMO, the main one I'm watching is CEH. He's shouldn't command much and may like to reunite with Joe Brady. Would take over the Murray role. Darrynton Evans is under contract again and could be the PS/3rd RB along with a late round rookie.

• Agree 2

There’s going to be some quality backs available in the 2M range and I’d take one.  Cook is so slight framed, wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a replacement available that’s better than Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just read an article talking about the unlikelihood of Saquon, Jacobs and Pollard getting the tags again. They then proceeded to list all running backs who are on the FA market…

Holy cow. If you need a running back of top quality to be the possible finishing piece to your offense, what an off-season for your team. 

Now while Ekeler and Henry have a lot of wear and tear on them they still have tremendous value to whomever signs them. 

Should be exciting! Also on a positive note, thankful Cook showed his true potential last year otherwise we might have had to pay a guy we believe could hold the #1 lead back role for our team. 😮‍💨

Adding an elite player at a lower price than most other positions could be a wise investment for big games.

I'll say it again:  Derrick Henry is IMO the only player we could add to the team that WILL change how defenses play us within games

An Allen, Henry, Cook  run option package will be enough of a threat to force teams to drop their safeties lower.  

Then you kill em on play-action deep to your new rookie WR 

James Cook is a good player. No one is scared of him.  EVERYONE on the field is scared of Derrick Henry 

Can you imagine Power sweeps with Allen and Henry?  Fun stuff. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Adding an elite player at a lower price than most other positions could be a wise investment for big games.

I'll say it again:  Derrick Henry is IMO the only player we could add to the team that WILL change how defenses play us within games

An Allen, Henry, Cook  run option package will be enough of a threat to force teams to drop their safeties lower.  

James Cook is a good player. No one is scared of him.  EVERYONE on the field is scared of Derrick Henry 

I"m of the same mindset.

Agree

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

And I think all of them are going to be whining about how teams aren't giving RB's big contracts. Why would you? Outside of McCaffrey, who could probably line up full time at WR as well, is really worth much gtd $$$? I think the top guys will find less money on annual average than they played out their Franchise Tags for. 

For those saying Cook + anyone is enough. Clearly the Bills dont trust him or think this. He comes off the field a ton compare to most lead backs in the league. We need more than Ty Johnson, fun to root for a guy like that but he does not scare anyone. You add Henry like some have mentioned and that would change defenses mindset. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ty Johnson is the perfect change of pace for Cook. Cheap, has some power, but also speed and can catch. 

I would like to see a late round rookie added. 6th-7th round.

I think where this thread is getting derailed is not seeing how cheap most of these guys will also be. 

the known name isn’t scary if coming in cheaper than Hines and harty etc…. And you may see household names in that price range 

Heck, if o on a dumpster dive salary deandre swift just played on a 1 year 1.7m for instance. That’s Ty Johnson money basically 

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Can you imagine Power sweeps with Allen and Henry?  Fun stuff. 

4 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

I"m of the same mindset.

Agree

For the millionth time, Derrick Henry is not coming to the Buffalo Bills.

You can fantasize what it would be like all you want. Would it be good? Yeah, it'd be good. But I don't see the point in fantasy.

We're not spending that kind of Money on RB2. Even if he is cheaper bc of his age and the market, it still won't be cheap enough to justify it.

And Derrick Henry is not going to choose to go somewhere that he isn't the unquestioned starter. 

Take a look at any article that prognosticates Henry's next team. You never see Buffalo on there. It doesn't make sense any way you slice it besides fantasy of what it would be like.

He's going to Baltimore. A contender that will play him in the same role he played in Tennessee. He's going to get at the very least 4.5-5m a year from them. In the slim event he didn't go there, he'll go somewhere else where he's the lead Back.

You know what all those big names RB's on the market also means? It means there's a LOT of teams that have openings for Starter. And if you think Derrick Henry isn't high on the lists of all of the teams that need a RB1 - you're kidding yourself.

Money is tight. We can get under the cap. But that money will need to be used on WR, DE, DT, and S. Not to mention the million and one depth holes we have.

We're not putting 5m (on the low end btw) into a 2nd RB when we already have a Pro Bowl RB who was 4th in the league in Rushing last season, when we have a million more important, harder to fill holes than the dime a dozen RB position, and we don't have much money to begin with.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.